• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supermarket eats

Hiroyuki

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst on my trip to Japan, my wife and I frequently made use of the local Inargya supermarket. For breakfast we often bought pastries or buns both sweet and savoury . They were similar to a typical Asian bread/pastry shop. Soft buns, melon pan, yakisoba pan,coroke(croquette)pan to name a few.

Other items we chose included healthy salads(Japanese style), tempura, sushi(especially inari ), yakitori and onigiri . Sometimes an entire meal was bought from the convenience section of the supermarket. Other times we just bought some items to supplement what we already had, as a Japanese meal is often made up of many different items(okazu).

It was a particularly useful option to buy some meals from the supermarket especially as it was inexpensive and we could eat in the comfort of our room . Most places supply disposable chopsticks too.

• 7 months later...

The other day, I bought some buri (yellowtail) sashimi and anko kimo (monkfish liver).

gallery_16375_5341_586.jpg

I almost laughed when I saw the label. The monkfish liver was from Boston. :blink:

Closeup of the monkfish liver:

gallery_16375_5341_34652.jpg

We had it with the supplied sudachi ponzu. (Sudachi is a kind of citrus fruit.) We weren't very fascinated by it, and I thought it had some grit in it.

Last Monday, I had a craving for nigiri, but my three-star traditional sushi shop is a 30-minute ride from my house, so I settled on this one, which I bought at a supermarket.

gallery_16375_5341_70277.jpg

680 yen

I didn't want to have fridge-cold shari (vinegared rice), so I left the pack on the table at room temperature for almost one hour before eating, but it was still cold and hard.

gallery_16375_5341_18773.jpg

Now that I am a better judge of nigiri, I was a little disappointed by the store-bought nigiri. Maybe I should have removed all the neta (toppings) from the shari, reheated the shari in the microwave for some time, and put the neta back on the shari. Hitohada (human skin temperature) shari is really a key to good sushi.

Hiroyuki - thanks for pointing out to me how to reheat sushi. I too, dislike cold sushi. Next time, I'll take off the neta and reheat the rice in the microwave, put back the neta on top of the rice and enjoy my heated sushi. :)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'd like to know if you all save and reuse the packaging?

I can't speak for others, but as for me, I just have to throw it out.

I think this differs from municipality to municipality, but in my city, only white trays can be sent for recycling.

I can take my plastic trays back to the supermarket. I assume they recycle them. I often keep them for myself, however, and use them as small serving trays or prep trays (after they've been washed, of course!) I find the chicken meatball (tsukune) tray is great for freezing individual bits of squash for my bentos!

We went over to a friend's house for a thanksgiving potluck a few weeks back, and he had painstakingly saved and washed his conbini bento trays. At the end of the party, he made take-home bentos for everyone from all the dishes we had brought. Everyone got a little taste! It was great to get home and polish it off the next day.

I'd like to know if you all save and reuse the packaging?

I will save them ocassionally when i know I will need them in the very near future but otherwise they go out with my plastic recyclables. I just don't have the space to hold onto things I "might" need some day. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

For supper tonight, my children and I bought these:

gallery_16375_4595_98777.jpg

Gokoku mai (five-cereal rice?) bento (498 yen) for my son, takoyaki (8 pieces for 298 yen) for my daugher, and nigiri (8 pieces for 950 yen) for me.

I removed all the neta from the shari, except the ikura and ama ebi, and put the shari in the microwave to reheat for 40 seconds. The resultant sushi tasted much better. I gave the salmon nigiri to my daughter and got one takoyaki in return. The takoyaki was delicious! Next time, I will buy the cheap takoyaki instead of the expensive nigiri!

Edit: Not 40 min. but 40 seconds.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

great tip on the reheating of sushi rice. i simply cant stand it when the rice becomes cold, grainy, crumbly and hard. that always happens to me as i tend to store my sushi in my fridge until the eating mood strikes.

you can do that with nigiri i suppose, but unfortunately my favs are the makis.

what lovely pictures. i love japanese supermarket takeout.

oh and i tend to wash and store the packaging to store leftovers from other food. or to bring along food wheni go out so that i can dispose of them after eating instead of lugging an empty bentobox home with me

Edited by jedi_pocky (log)

.jedi pocky.

yum...