• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Pudding: Tips & Techniques

JennyUptown

My favorite bread pudding is from "La Dolce Vita" by Michelle Scicolone:

Budino di Mele (Apple Bread Pudding)

Great cookbook; I haven't tried this yet though. Thanks for the rec. The texture seems like it would be very nice.

(When summer comes, try the recipe for cantaloupe creams if you haven't... I serve them with blueberry sauce).

Also, welcome to egullet! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the welcome, ludja! I'll definitely try the cantaloupe creams...our local farmer's markets carry fantastic melons.

Another one of my favorite recipes in that book is for the Raisin, Nut, and Chocolate Biscotti--one recipe only lasts one evening around here.

She has also done a cookbook called "A Fresh Taste of Italy." The cover photo is of a dish of pasta with beets--I think the recipe is called pasta with rubies. Fantastic, and quite different.

• 5 months later...

I have heard of just using bread, croissants, leftover donuts etc.

I am leaving this weekend for my husband's yearly family reunion and I am making my bread pudding again. The first time I made rum raisin, "regular" or as I called it "vanilla" and chocolate. The group is growing and is now around 25 people. I am sticking to rum raisin and chocolate and serving with ice cream. I really can't do too much since we will be in cabins in the mountains of California (June Lake, CA) and I only have a 1/2 size gas stove. I know you usually serve creme anglaise, but I am not packing my equipment on a plane and we only have small pots available in the cabin. I buy the "betty homemaker" lasagna pans for the bread pudding and it turns out great.

So down to the question. I stop at a bakery and regular grocery store on the way and buy my breads etc, but wondering what fun things you all put into your bread pudding? I have a good recipe, so not looking too much on that, but if you have any additional flavors you love please share! Thanks!

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

Perhaps instead of the raisins w/ rum you could use dried cranberries w/ Grand Marnier, dried cherries w/ Kirsch, dried apples w/ Applejack or even dried pears with Eau-de-Vie de poire?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Apple & raisin with the raisins soaked in Calvados or Armagnac.

Do a caramel sauce on top with some Scotch in it.

Tropical bread pudding... Hawaiian bread with pineapple, mango? Work some tequila and guava or lime in there somehow?

Mexican bread pudding... get some Kahlua, chocolate & cinnamon into the sauce.

Liquor, liquor, and more liquor is definitely the way to go. :biggrin:

Now I'm hungry for bread pudding.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Unfortunately, I have to make one of them non alcoholic because of some AA people at the reunion... The Mexican one sounds wonderful though! I have a wide variety of picky vs. non picky people too.

If it were me I would load on the alcohol because that adds great flavor.

Mmmmmm burbon!

Does anyone have any more "bread items" they like to throw in that gives it that french "I don't know what" ?

Edited by PastryLady (log)

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

Any dried fruits are great in bread pudding. I like minced dried apricots and dried mango.

If they are too dry and hard, a few minutes in a steamer will soften them without them getting soggy.

Here is my original recipe for a very fancy "bread" pudding, in case you ever want to do something quite different.

Marzipan filled brioche bread pudding.

an original recipe by Andie

Read all directions first. This recipe takes 2 days to do it correctly

Easy Brioche Rolls Must start day before serving this dessert.

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 pkg. dry yeast

1/4 cup lukewarm water

1 egg, separated

3 whole eggs, beaten

3 1/4 cup flour

Scald milk and while hot add butter (margarine), sugar, and salt.

COOL TO LUKEWARM.

Soften yeast in the water. Add to LUKEWARM milk mixture.

Add egg yolk and beaten eggs and stir.

Add flour and beat with wooden spoon for 2 minutes.

Cover and let rise in a warm place (80-85 degrees) until more

than double in bulk, about 2 hours or less.

Stir down and beat (stir) thoroughly.

Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from fridge and allow to come to room temp.

Take plain brioche dough and form into small buns (golf ball size works nicely), cover and let them rest for 10 minutes.

Filling

You can use store bought marzipan or make your own.

Make a rope of marzipan about the size of a tootsie roll and cut into pieces about the same width. (You don't have to shape them.)

Put one of the marzipan pieces on each bun, draw the dough up around it and pinch and twist to seal.

Place in a buttered pan with seam side down.

Cover and allow to rise about 30 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Brush tops of rolls with melted butter.

Place pan in center of oven.

Bake till nicely browned. Remove from oven and place on a wire grid.

When cool cover loosely with a cloth and let them set out several hours.

We want them to be just a little stale.

The next step which takes this into an entire new category

Egg custard

4 eggs + 2 egg yolks, beaten till creamy

1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup cream

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 cup sweet sherry (optional)

Mix all these ingredients and beat until completely blended

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Place the marzipan filled buns in a buttered baking dish sides touching.

Pour the custard in and around the buns but do not cover the tops of the buns.

Let this stand for a few minutes then add more of the custard mix as the rolls will have soaked up some.

Place the pan in a bain marie and bake until the custard is set.

(Time varies with the size of the baking dish and the amount of custard)

For a 9 x 11 pan it should be done in about 25 minutes. Test with a thin knife blade BETWEEN THE ROLLS at about 20 minutes, then at 25 minutes. Test every 2 minutes after that until blade comes out clean.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

OOOH Andie, I don't think I'd ever get to the pudding stage. Those rolls would be gone for breakfast.

My favorite bread pudding has peaches, raisins and brandy with any firm white bread and uses buttermilk and low fat sour cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

BREAD PUDDING with FRUIT

Recipe By : Beth

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : American Classics Desserts

Custom Cuisine Recipes Personal Favorites

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 eggs

1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark

1 cup sour cream, light or regular

2 cups milk or buttermilk, regular or lowfat

1/4 cup brandy

dash cinnamon and nutmeg

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 cup bread cubes

1 16 oz can peaches, drained and coarsely chopped

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup dried apricots,chopped -- optional

1/2 cup nuts, chopped

1 tablespoon butter

brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 325.

Combine the eggs, sugar, sour cream,milk, spices and brandy and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the bread, fruits and nuts. Let sit about 15 minutes and then pour into a greased casserole. Dot the top with brown sugar and the cut up butter and bake for about 1 hour.

Let cool and serve with brandy sauce

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• 1 month later...

Over the years, I have compiled a very extensive collection of Bread Pudding recipes. One of my fav. cold-weather versions is Cranberry-Pumpkin served w/ Ginger Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce. However, during the summer, fresh-picked berries are the de rigueur components in the puddings. Here is a straighforward, not-overly-rich (but still luscious) BLUEBERRY BRIOCHE PUDDING:

1½ oz. uns. butter, softened

4 individual brioches, or 8 oz. challah

1 cup fresh wild blueberries

2 cups whole milk

4 large eggs

¼ cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar

Minced zest of sm. orange

1 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 325° F. Lightly butter four 8-ounces ramekins.

Slice brioches crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Lightly butter each slice w/ remaining softened butter.

Divide bread amongst ramekins, arranging the pieces randomly upright & horizontal. Scatter ½ cup blueberries between around the slices.

Whisk together milk, eggs, ¼ cup sugar, zest, and vanilla until blended well. Divide egg mixture evenly amongst the ramekins, pouring it over brioche slices and berries. (Tops of brioche slices won’t be covered completely.) Sprinkle remaining Tbsp sugar over each pudding.

Since this is a custard-based dessert, we'll use a water-bath to cook then gently: Place puddings in hotel pan. Pour hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of the ramekins. Bake 35 minutes, or until the brioche slices are toasted and each pudding is just set around edges, but slightly soft in centre.

Cool until warm before serving. If desired, drizzle the puddings w/ Raspberry Syrup; or, be more extravagant, and top each w/ a sm. scoop of freshly-churned Amaretto-Peach Ice Cream. It's enough to make you swoon!

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

thread with some cool ideas ...

I say add bourbon irrespective of the rest of your ingredients ... couldn't hurt and a lovely addition!! :biggrin:

Damn, you posted it before I could!

Bourbon in bread pudding :wub:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I like to add pureed roasted pumpkin to the cream/milk to flavor the custard and some golded raisins. As for the bread, brioche or hallah are great, and if it's during the holidays I also use some toasted panatone. I found that using all panatone make it too sweet for me. Top w/ a some cream anglais and ginger spiced toasted pecans. It works so good w/ and the autumn thanksgiving food items, they made me make it for chrismas also. Yum

I make a Mexican Chocolate bread pudding that has cocoa, cinnamon and ancho chile powder as well as chocolate chips or Hershey kisses (if being made in single serving potions) in it. It's pretty yummy!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

chocolate brioche with dried tart cherries. yumm.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

oh man, my favorite bread pudding is emily luchetti's chocolate caramel bread pudding. it's cubes of chocolate pound cake in a caramel custard. heaven. i don't use her chocolate cake recipe though. hmm, and i can't remember if it's in stars desserts, or four star desserts.

dexygus

Rum and and molasses make a great combo. Make sure you heat some of the rum up in molasses to make a sauce, then pour another couple shots worth raw on at the end right before serving.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I hate raisins in mine but I love dried cherries. I think it gives it a lot more depth. I love the cloves in Famie's bread pudding. The taste of cloves always tugs at the childhood memory strings for me. Memories of Mom sharing clove gum (grown up gum) from her purse.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."