• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best pate/terrines in bistros?

Brad Wilson

I will be in Paris 5-9 Feb. and am a great lover of pates, terrines, and the like.

On a reasonable budget, where are the best? Most distinctive? Most different? Most classic? Best mustard?

My thanks in advance.

bw

I had a beautiful blood terrine at La Cave de l'Os a Moelle in the 15th recently. The food here is served family style at shared tables. It is a lovely venue and the food and wine is priced very reasonably.

A chef who always produces fine terrines is Yves Camdebourde at Le Comptoir in the 6th. The best time to go is for lunch. Arrive at 12 (midday) and you will be able to score a table.

Happy eating!

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

When I went to the verre volé recently they had several very good terrines and I think they are prepared by Rudolophe Paquin from La Repaire de Cartouche. I wouldn't be surprised to see very good terrines at La Regalade, L'Ami Jean and Chez Michel as well.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

The last times I've gone, Bruno Doucet of La Regalade had indeed kept Camdeborde's terrine and bread tradition and the Symples de l'Os a Moelle, another offshoot of l'Os, has a great spread that includes such. If budget is an issue the latter is a huge bargain - 22 E at lunch (and it's on a subway line despite its address in Issy).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris