• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I wish I had known back when...

Gigi4808

I just enrolled in a bartending school and start next week. My question to those of you already in the field is;

Was there anything that you wished they had covered in basic training? - or any other advice you would be kind enough to pass on.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

It's interesting to see the sheet with all the cocktails they teach people at the bartending school. A good portion of them I've never been asked to make, and anther good chunk use pre-prepared mixers. I would say to actually pay attention to what people drink where you will be working and learn how to make drinks with fresh juices. Granted many bars will still use powdered sour mix and all, but at least you won't be screwed when someone wants a 'real' daquiri or something.

Another thing is to make sure you know what everything actaully tastes like, including the spirits, and know something about them. Nothing is worse than asking a bartender about a bottle and getting "I have no idea."

Good luck.

One thing that no bartending school cant teach you is to have confidence on the bar! True, this comes with time and experience and bartending courses give you the skills necessary for this to happen, but never let anyone intimidate you on your bar whether its another bartender or a customer. If you look confident, fewer people will question you. I'm just getting over a serious dose of bartender phobia myself!

Another thing is to constantly surprise your customers, exceed their expectations. This could be a new bar trick, a new drink, a fancy crowd pleaser garnish or simply by going the extra mile in terms of customer service.

Hope this helps - good luck!!