• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee House search - SOHO TriBeCa

tug

Years and years ago, before Starbucks, I stumbled upon a SOHO coffeeshop. It was only a block or 2 south of Houston, west of Broadway, definitely not Mulberry or on bustling West Broadway. The coffee house was a few steps off street level .. had mismatched furniture, couches and low tables.

I'm meeting a friend of mine next weekend, we went to this place a lifetime ago. It would be nice to reminisce in the same, or similar environs. :smile:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

You are almost certainly thinking of Space Untitled (a/k/a Jonathan Moore) on Greene St. Sadly (I studied many calm afternoons there during law school), it no longer exists; I think it's a furniture store now.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

That is very sad :(

I dont suppose theres still anything that comes close to it? I might be late, or he might... or we may just want to sit for hours.

...thank you so much for replying :)

Edited by tug (log)

- The Goons

SoHo, TriBeCa are most conveinent, as he will have luggage, and is staying nearby.

- The Goons

Not much in the way of quite, non-commercial coffee shops in those areas, alas.

Aroma and Bari are both in SoHo. Both are Israeli chains, curiously enough, and both are packed to the gills with tourists seven days of the week (Aroma is 24 hours and seems to have more of a student crowd late at night).

The cafe inside the McNally Robinson book store in NoLIta is quiet and attracts a small local crowd.

Frankly, your best bets are in the WV, the EV, the LES and Gramercy. (I can name pleasant coffee shops in each of those hoods.)

Nathan, I'll take WV, please

Mayur, isn't Blue Spoon closed on Sat?

I'll need a Saturday coffeeshop (sorry, I shouldve specified)

- The Goons

Doma, Joe or Jack's.

Warning that Joe and Doma tend to be absolutely packed on weekend afternoons.

edit: there's also an NYU hangout -- Esperanto -- quite close to SoHo, that might be up your alley

Edited by Nathan (log)

Ametller (right near joe on Waverly just east of 7th Ave) is nice also.

There are probably places in SoHo or TriBeCa that aren't "cafes" per se but make a nice place to hang out on a Saturday afternoon. Bread (either branch) isn't too bad in the afternoon, and they certainly let you linger. Novecento (on W. Broadway) likewise. Edward's, Blaue Gans, or Bar Americain in TriBeCa are all reasonably "cafe-like" and allow lingering in the afternoons as well.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Bread .. spring street .. where is the other location?

Ametller (right near joe on Waverly just east of 7th Ave) is nice also.

There are probably places in SoHo or TriBeCa that aren't "cafes" per se but make a nice place to hang out on a Saturday afternoon. Bread (either branch) isn't too bad in the afternoon, and they certainly let you linger. Novecento (on W. Broadway) likewise. Edward's, Blaue Gans, or Bar Americain in TriBeCa are all reasonably "cafe-like" and allow lingering in the afternoons as well.

- The Goons