• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggest a Baking Book on Tarts

Lumas

I have come to the realization that I do not enjoy the cakey goodness that so many others have come to love. I hate the frostings and did I mention, the CAKE part?

So... I have been making a lot of tarts lately and I am really enjoying them. I was looking for a few books that are specifally dedicated to making Tarts. I know there are a few out there, but does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

The Art of the Tart by Tamasin Day-Lewis. Admittedly I haven't baked from this specific volume, but I have cooked from her other books and everything turns out delicious.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

"Book of Tarts:  Form, Function, and Flavor at the City Bakery" by Maury Rubin is a great start.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tarts-Form-Func...ie=UTF8&s=books

I strongly second this. His crust recipe is really wonderful.

Two random tart recipes that I've really enjoyed are actually in "The Cook and the Gardener" by Amanda Hesser. The plum tart with a walnut-nutmeg-cream filling is wonderful if you have great plums and the apple tart (caramelized apples weighed down during baking) is very tasty, as well.

"Book of Tarts:  Form, Function, and Flavor at the City Bakery" by Maury Rubin is a great start.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tarts-Form-Func...ie=UTF8&s=books

Sounds good. The only problem is it is out of print and the lowest price is $70.00.

*Thanks to FlavoursGal, I got the book for around $13.00!!!!*

Edited by Lumas (log)

I received Book of Tarts by Maury Rubin... I wonder if his shop The City Bakery is still open? Anyhow, the book looks good. Lots of pictures, which I always enjoy when baking. The recipes seem a little too simple, though. Most recipes have 4, maybe 5 max. number of ingredients. White chocolate infused with pear skins is going to be the first recipe I try.

I will check out a few more of the books everyone has mentioned.

I love the Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. It has a good tart section and teaches you pastry principle and then you go on to make your own fillings. Worth owning.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.