• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Subliminal Advertising during ICA

ghost

Someone was watching Iron Chef America tonight and saw a McDonalds logo flash up for exactly one frame. Check it out on You Tube:

So this is definitely for real. I just watched the 12 AM west coast airing of ICA. I have it on my DVR, and the 1 frame of the McDonalds logo is definitely in there. That's just pathetic.

Edited by ghost (log)
WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

Unbelievable. I mean, I believe that it actually happened, but it just boggles my mind that the Golden Arches are in bed with the Food Network like this.

Unless this is some production or editing tech's idea of a practical joke... which is entirely possible.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Unbelievable.  I mean, I believe that it actually happened, but it just boggles my mind that the Golden Arches are in bed with the Food Network like this. 

Unless this is some production or editing tech's  idea of a practical joke... which is entirely possible.

Haven't you heard about their new series: "Sandra Lee's Semi-Takeout Fast Food?" :laugh:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Unbelievable.  I mean, I believe that it actually happened, but it just boggles my mind that the Golden Arches are in bed with the Food Network like this. 

Unless this is some production or editing tech's  idea of a practical joke... which is entirely possible.

Watched the Youtube clip. Please, this is a poor attempt at video editing. Anyone here with a DVR or TIVO can review frame by frame to disprove it. Didn't happen

Watched the Youtube clip. Please, this is a poor attempt at video editing. Anyone here with a DVR or TIVO can review frame by frame to disprove it. Didn't happen

No, it's for real. I saw the you tube link, and then I watched the 12 AM west coast rebroadcast of ICA. I have comcast and their DVR. And there it was, it's totally real. :-/

freaky! When I was reading these posts I thought *maybe* it could have been a technical error, since they key in a McD logo over one of the instant replays (sad and nauseating that they are using sponsorship now). But when I watched the clip and realized the logo was full frame, well, that does seem like a subliminal message.

Didn't watch it on YouTube. Was just watching it now on my TiVo, saw it, couldn't believe it. Googled it, couldn't find it. Figured info might be on eGullet and lo and behold :)

Line Cook and Food Geek, Seattle, WA

(sad and nauseating that they are using sponsorship now)

Why sad and nauseating? It isn't PBS; they've always had ads. And I bet that viewers of the Food Network eat at Mickey D's way more than they (or most eGulleteers) would like to admit.

If this is real, I suspect that Reefpimp is right, and that somebody in the production booth was having a larf. If McD's paid money for this... well, mainly it shows that their marketing wing have come down with a bad case of what's known in psychological circles as "being idiots": subliminal advertising doesn't work.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

I'm wondering, really, if this was a technical flub. If I remember correctly, it was shown a long time ago, that subliminal advertising is ineffective. I can't imagine why McDonald's would pay for it or even want to mess with it.

I'm not saying that I think either McD's or FN is above doing stuff like this. It's obvious to me that money is the one and only real motivator in anything and everything they do. And if confronted with this accusation, I would not expect either entity to admit to it, if they were doing it.

But who knows. Nothing surprises me anymore! :blink:

I'm wondering, really, if this was a technical flub.  If I remember correctly, it was shown a long time ago, that subliminal advertising is ineffective.  I can't imagine why McDonald's would pay for it or even want to mess with it.

Maybe they thought people would talk about it quite a bit more if was thrown in as a cheesy (mmm, cheesy... mayor mc cheese... micky d's!) subliminal ad.

M. Thomas

(sad and nauseating that they are using sponsorship now)

Why sad and nauseating? It isn't PBS; they've always had ads. And I bet that viewers of the Food Network eat at Mickey D's way more than they (or most eGulleteers) would like to admit.

If this is real, I suspect that Reefpimp is right, and that somebody in the production booth was having a larf. If McD's paid money for this... well, mainly it shows that their marketing wing have come down with a bad case of what's known in psychological circles as "being idiots": subliminal advertising doesn't work.

Let's be honest:

PBS accepts "advertising".

Many of the shows on both radio and TV are sponsored.

Additionally, PBS shows like Sesame street are huge money generators for merchandise sales.

We should be realistic.

I agree where you state that "subliminal advertising doesn't work."

Someone was watching Iron Chef America tonight and saw a McDonalds logo flash up for exactly one frame.  Check it out on You Tube:

So this is definitely for real.  I just watched the 12 AM west coast airing of ICA.  I have it on my DVR, and the 1 frame of the McDonalds logo is definitely in there.  That's  just pathetic.

Gee--It's on "Youtube" it has to be true!

I got really suspicious when reading the that the guy who "discovered" this corporate brainwashing thought--"isn't that the McDonald's logo." As the hidden message flashed.

basically if he "saw" it --well--it wasn;t subliminal then is it?

Really--I smell a hoax. I would suggest that those who are so concerned --contact the Network, McDonald's and the FCC.

Someone was watching Iron Chef America tonight and saw a McDonalds logo flash up for exactly one frame.  Check it out on You Tube:

So this is definitely for real.  I just watched the 12 AM west coast airing of ICA.  I have it on my DVR, and the 1 frame of the McDonalds logo is definitely in there.  That's  just pathetic.

I got really suspicious when reading the that the guy who "discovered" this corporate brainwashing thought--"isn't that the McDonald's logo." As the hidden message flashed.

Really--I smell a hoax. I would suggest that those who are so concerned --contact the Network, McDonald's and the FCC.

Heh, no hoax, I swear I saw it for myself. I can use my camera and make a video of it showing on my TV because I have it on my DVR. The youtube clip is unedited and shows it exactly as it happened. If you want to catch it for yourself, it shows after the verdict is anounced and while Alton Brown is giving his final wrap up on the battle. If you don't have a DVR, watch closely and you'll see it flash up for a split second. :-)

Yeah, no hoax, watched it tonight on TiVo and it was clearly there.

I did notice that the McDonalds logo was in the upper right of the Scoring Graphic during the show.

I wonder if it was a technical glitch?

Or maybe a video tech was a big Cantu fan, and put it up there as an expression of his happiness at the outcome, "I'm Lovin' It!"

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Heh, no hoax, I swear I saw it for myself. I can use my camera and make a video of it showing on my TV because I have it on my DVR. The youtube clip is unedited and shows it exactly as it happened. If you want to catch it for yourself, it shows after the verdict is anounced and while Alton Brown is giving his final wrap up on the battle. If you don't have a DVR, watch closely and you'll see it flash up for a split second. :-)

But that's my point--if you can see it with the naked eye then it is not "subliminal" advertising.

As usual, a lot of people like to complain but no one contacts the Food Network or MacDonalds for an explanation.

The "frame" (I believe it is more than one frame) is a rather crude billboard or slide.

MacDonald's was, I believe sponsoring the segment of ICA. So it is possible that this is a bit of a screw up or it is possible that with the emergence of TIVO's --sponsors are inserting messages (probably not subliminal) in the middle of programs.

Let's not forget that MacDonald's by sponsoring the program is also helping to pay for it and they want their message conveyed.

I do not see this as a big deal whatever the explanation.

I don't know anything about this news source, but anyway, from

http://calorielab.com/news/2007/01/25/food...ssage-a-glitch/

Danya Proud, the manager of United States media relations for McDonald’s, told CalorieLab that the incident was not intentional.

“What [the person taping the show] saw was in fact a glitch on The Food Network programming and not subliminal advertising by McDonald’s,” Proud said.

I don't know anything about this news source, but anyway, from

http://calorielab.com/news/2007/01/25/food...ssage-a-glitch/

Danya Proud, the manager of United States media relations for McDonald’s, told CalorieLab that the incident was not intentional.

“What [the person taping the show] saw was in fact a glitch on The Food Network programming and not subliminal advertising by McDonald’s,” Proud said.

Thanks Leonard!

Unless refuted, this makes sense.

This is the problem with the internet. A responsible news outlet would have (ok should have)

contacted the Food Network and/or MacDonald's for comment and explanation--prior to posting the clip or reporting the story.

It is amazing to me that the conspiracy theorists jumped on this without making sure they had some minimal facts. Not for nothing are these folks lacking in even minimal credibility.

I just watched the tape of this episode and the McD logo is shown at the beginning also. But, while watching it, there is also Hidden Valley Ranch early on and Ruby Tuesday just when they are beginning plating. This is very similiar how Food Network also advertises their own shows that are coming up later.

i'm watching battle dungeness crab (cora vs scheib) right now, and i noticed the mcdonalds logo on the screen when the statistics of the chefs are shown. it was in between the stats of the two opposing chefs. also, i noticed a kia logo attached to the time-clock, and a hidden valley ranch ad.

and it's only fifteen minutes into the battle now. have the ads always been there, or am i just being hypersensitive to it after i've already read this thread?

did any of you notice any changes?

(edited for clarification and, well, editing)

Edited by shoutsandmurmurs (log)

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads