• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw oysters: Sauce or not?

JAZ

I'm in the camp of adding nothing or else a drop of lemon juice to a smaller Northeast or Northern Pacific oyster. The accompanying glass of Sauvignon Blanc, Sancerre or Muscadet de Sevres et Maine sur Lie usually provides just the right counterpoint to the briny oyster taste; I don't want much lemon or vinegar in the mix to interfere with the wine or oyster. I also like to have some crusty white bread with sweet butter alongside.

Open to other toppings like hot sauce, etc. when I'm near the Gulf with fresh, large oysters in abundance. And yes, to fried oysters then as well!

I think that oysters served with a small topping of granita can be very interesting though. I had a great appetizer once that used some tamarind granita atop the oysters. This combination provided a nice contrast in texture, temp and flavor and was still subtle enought not to overwhealm the oysters themselves.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The most unique topping that I have heard of (haven't tried it myself yet) is Joan roca's "Tierra", which is basically distilled Catalunyan "earth", the theory being to mimic one of the best wine pairings with oysters, a classic one of steely, minerally Chablis.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz