• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

aussiebarracuda,

In her book "The Cook and The Gardener" , Amanda Hesser gives a recipe for making sloe gin that sounds quite good. I could pm the recipe to you if you'd like.

I'll take a look in my Southern cookbooks as well.

kathryn

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Since they're pretty bitter perhaps you could make a few jars of sloe berry/apple jelly to serve with pork, lamb, game, pates or terrines.

Add the berries to game stews and venison or pork roasts. They pair well with sweet, earthy, roasted vegetables such as winter squash, beets, parsnips, mushrooms and sweet potatoes. And like most berries, they freeze and dry well.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a large jar of sloe gin from last year's harvest. From memory I think it was 300g sugar and 750ml gin to cover the sloes. I also made sloe paste which I think was a variation on a Stephanie recipe? Perserverence past the mouthfeel and taste of sloes in their natural state is well worth it.

The secret of cooking is the release of fragrance and the art of imparting it. - Patience Gray

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't want to eat them. To make Sloe gin we'd prick them and cover them in sugar to leech the flavour out then put them in the jar with the gin (you could use vodka) for a couple of months. Then strain through muslin.