• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in St Croix?

I'm on the island of St Croix for a 4-6 week consulting assignment. I'll post my descriptions of the places I visit in the days to come.

So far the list includes:

Kendricks

Nolans Tavern

Cheesburgers

Fort Christian Brew Pub

Divi

and will grow with time.

Stay tuned...

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on the island of St Croix for a 4-6 week consulting assignment. I'll post my descriptions of the places I visit in the days to come.

So far the list includes:

Kendricks

Nolans Tavern

Cheesburgers

Fort Christian Brew Pub

Divi

and will grow with time.

Stay tuned...

Whatever you do,don't miss KIM'S in Christiansted, a wonderful, homey, authentic Cruzan restaurant.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I will look for KIm's; haven't seen it yet physically or advertised.

Meanwhile let me add the South Shore Cafe to my list; a wonderful little place near the Salt Pond on the South Shore (appropriately) open Wed-Sunday.

--mark

Glad you're enjoying St. Croix. For some great Crucian takeout you should try Singh's, located right at the entrance to town near Time's Square. It's not the greatest atmosphere but the food makes up for it. I love to pick up doubles when they have them fresh, roti, rice and beans, yucca, potato stuffing (my favorite) or johnny cake and take it somewhere outside for lunch.

This is actually my 100th trip to STX, going back to 1980. Most previous trips were 1-3 days; this time I can explore at a more leisurely pace.

I have never been brave enough to get out of the car in Times Square, though compared to places I've been in NYC, it's no big deal.

I've been to Tutu Bene twice in the past week. One was a "business meal." We didn't talk much business, but a vendor picked up the check. Very nice meals; one of the better run and visited restaurants on the island. They brought over the black Sambucca at the end of the meal, so they must have liked us.

Edited by MHesse (log)

--mark

Adding Bacchus to the list. Delicious spinach quiche app and more delicious banana flavored bread pudding. Fine ribeye inbetween. Friendly, attentive service.

--mark

and Truffles, where the Top Hat used to be.

OK, I have the list. Now I'm back and will try to remember enough for meaningful mini-reviews.

--mark

• 2 months later...

What is the name of the fine dining restaurant at the Buccaneer? Is there still a fine dining restaurant there?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

What is the name of the fine dining restaurant at the Buccaneer? Is there still a fine dining restaurant there?

You're probably thinking of The Terrace or The Brass Parrot. I'd consider them fine dining, though I did not visit either while I was there.

--mark

I've been back home 4 weeks since my second stay of May 2 - June 4, so I guess I'll never get around to mini reviews.

Let me add a couple names to the list:

Villa Morales - terrific buttered conch

The Cultured Pelican - good Italian, now closed till the fall

The Bombay Club - good steaks and barbecue - depends who is cooking

Breezes - satisfactory, it was right on the grounds of the condo where I stayed the second trip. I'd have breakfast and a Painkiller there while waiting for my laundry to dry. Good Happy Hour crowd and very popular for brunch.

Off the Wall, The Lobster Cafe, Cane Bay Dive Bar and Grill - nice casual places along the North shore.

and more in Fredericksted that I can't recall at this time.

--mark

• 2 years later...

It's been 6 years since we've been on St Croix and we're heading back for 2 weeks, near the end of March, and I would love to get some recommendations, as well as any updates as to what is new and promising on the island.

Thanks in advance!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 1 month later...
It's been 6 years since we've been on St Croix and we're heading back for 2 weeks, near the end of March, and I would love to get some recommendations, as well as any updates as to what is new and promising on the island.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I don't have any recommendations, I just wanted to add that my husband and I too are going for 5 days at the end of March, and looking for ant thoughts on the restaurants. We've never been, so we're really clueless. I'm expecting alot of American food and don't have high expectations....

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

I'll add here the places to which we've already been and will return to when on St Croix:

Ft Christian Brewpub for dependable Cajun in Christainsted

Kim's for homey, wonderful jerk dishes and other Caribbean dishes (our FAVORITE place on St Croix, hands down), in Christiansted

Cheeseburger in Paradise, on the east end of the island for good burgers, tex Mex and pastas

Duggan's Reef for good local lobster and American dishes, also out on the east end, near where we will be renting a villa

Off The Wall, on the northwest shore road, near Cane Bay, for very good pub grub at an open air bar

and grab a roti at any roadside stand or roadside truck you encounter; they are terrific street food!

THOSE place I know we will be back to, but I am hoping someone posts with any new additions to the St Croix dining scene

PM me when you get on the island and we'll grab a rum punch and some food together!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

I will be going to St. Croix for a few days near the end of March as well. From my own researches, Bacchus and Kendrick's (both in Christiansted) are supposed to be excellent restaurants, though they are certainly more expensive than the other places already mentioned in this thread.

Richard

I smell an eGullet Happy Hour one day next week. Perhaps let's meet for crab races one afternoon. Or a lovely beer at the Ft Christian Brewpub.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 years later...

I'm not too removed from a recent trip. There are a couple of decent places on St Croix, but not too many:

Kim's in downtown Christiansted, my favorite place on the island, it's quirky, with slow service sometimes, very homey, but very real, and an extraordinary value for what you get. And get the jerk chicken, any Indian curry fish dish, any fresh conch dish, and any "stew". BYOB, cash only.

The Pickled Greek, just east of downtown Christiansted, has really good Mediterranean food, mostly Greek, very generous portions, boisterous crowd, lotsa fun.

The Cultured Pelican, at the base of a big pink condo complex toward the East End of the isalnd, it has damn fine Italian, decent, not great pizza, and great views of Buck Island and the nightime shoreline.

Chicken Charlie's, just east of downtown, near the Pickled Greek, is an open air roadhouse with decent ribs and chicken, quesadillas, salds, beers. Some nights they show movies on a big bedsheet hung on a wall, some nights honky tonk music, sometimes both!

Savant, barely just out of the downtown Christiansted heading east, it's a low-slung simple place with some of the hottest West Indian-Thai-French-fusion I have ever eaten. Habanero everywhere, but worth the danger. Very good sophisticated food.

Kendricks, downtown Christiansted, on a quiet sidestreet, is romantic, a little dressy, expensive and also worth it. French-Dutch-Caribbean mix menu, the class of the island along with Savant.

And dont forget to visit the Rain Forest, and the Mt Pelier Domino Club at its very center, for the beer-drinking pigs that have to be seen to be believed.

Just down the road from Mt Pelier is an eco-friendly woodworker's shop that creates magnificent (and pretty inexpensive items from fallen rain forest trees. Quite an interesting place for a unique memento of your trip.

Buy all the locally made hot sauces, they are terrific. There are a few roadside stands in the rainforest, as well as a few at the weekly farmers' market.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large