• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This morning's take at the KCC Farmers Market

Tkrup

Yep, the fresh tumeric is always a winner! Great in the carrot soup (carrots from

Souane) fabulous cauliflower, broccoli, no strawberries anywhere though, enough

tomatoes to cover our entire counter on the side of the kitchen, haricot vert and wax

beans from Terry in Hauula - his tomatoes will be coming back though! And, each week

those little treasures striped in green & yellow, the Eureka lemons!!!! I actually baked

today to take to dinner across the street, Lemon bars made with these, just unbelievable!!!And I hate to bake!!! You've got to try these lemons!!!! Then of course

all the usual greens, beets, potatoes, corn and such. Saturdays are a treat!!!!!

A hui hou and HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!

whoops! One more n than needed in Souane!

We've been using those lemons alot. I just zested one yesterday for my lamb chop herb rub for tonights Easter Feast. They do have a great flavor. Kind of like a cross between a lemon and a grapefruit.

Happy Easter!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice haul from today's Sunday farmers' market at Mililani HS:

Ho Farms assorted color cherry & grape tomatoes, Kula baby romaine, fragrant fresh basil, an enormous red papaya, fresh heart-of-palm, fresh turmeric, a beautiful purple-and-white eggplant, and a Eureka lemon (my first!!), all topped off with an order of taro mochi. :biggrin:

Would've bought more except my husband scored lots of salad fixings yesterday and our vegetable bin is full.

Hey, are any of you members of Slow Food Oahu? We've been thinking of joining...

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Went to the KCC farmer's market on Saturday for the first time in a long time. It was a lot more crowded then I remember.

Picked up:

- sunrise papaya ($1.80), my favorite!

- Tamago ($4) from Restaurant Suzuki

- pesto, tomato, fresh motz pizza ($5) from Big Wave tomato, so ono!

- croissants ($3) from Bale

I went to the market hungry and was more focused on food than on produce!

We got some salsa from Big Wave but have yet to try it, I'm sure it will be good.

I love her pesto. The cauliflower and carrots contine to be so delicious! I went last

week to try Sean Priester's food which was dynamite and you're right, it was really

crowded.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I forgot that I also bought a prepared (hot) lau lau ($7.50) from the Taro Delights guy. It had wild smoked salmon and chinese taro. I didn't eat it but the bf described it as "healthy". He didn't think it wasn't worth the price though.

• 6 months later...

Today the tomato pizza people had lasagna made with fresh pasta to take home (cold). I got the shrimp pesto one ($8.50/lb) and it came with salad. I assumed it should be reheated in the oven as it came in a foil tray (bento container). It came out dry and hard on the top as there was very little, if any pesto in the upper layers. There were many layers of pasta and only two of shrimp and pesto.

I ate almost half before I found a hair and lost my appetite.

I hope you also tell vendor this in addition to the whole world telling us will not solve your issues

only your satisfaction to vent. I would tell them next week and let us know. I know that Big Wave

the tomato farmer does sell products made by another chef at her booth so it's very likely it was not her product (the pizza is of course and is always delicious). So Aloha & a hui hou.

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004