• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This morning's take at the KCC Farmers Market

Tkrup

We've been doing most of our veggie shopping there pretty exclusively for the last year, and it never gets old. If any of you're going to visit Oahu, or live here and have never experienced the market, I'd give it a try. There's been a big increase in the amount of vendors, even over just the last few months, and everything is grown on the islands!

Started with an iced Thai coffee, extra shot

Bought:

Italian Parsley

Mixed Greens

Mixed Berry Tomatoes

Hydroponic Lettuce

Swiss Chard (red)

Japanese Cucumber

Red and Green Peppers

Cilantro

Small Globe Eggplant

Mandarin Oranges

Tangerines

Apple Bananas

Brocolli

Organic Limes

Got some local made Oat Cakes too. I like 'em for breakfast during the week.

Didn't sample any of the food vendors stuff this week because me and the wife were out late and hit an all night Korean place at about midnight. Not real hungry this morning. Check out their site!!

KCC Farmer's Market

Oh, forgot to mention the submarine rolls from Bale. It's a local Vietnamese fast food chain that also bakes awesome bread. I'm caramelizing some onions right now to add to steak sandwiches using the rolls, then me and my wife are headin' to the beach for a picnic. The steak is from North Shore Cattle Company, (Chimichurri filets) and is leftover from a dinner party we did last week.

We've checked out the honey products, and we usually buy our honey there. Great flavor from the local flowers.

We haven't bought any of their beeswax stuff, but it all looks pretty cool.

Isn't it great? Some of the same vendors show up at the Mililani Farmers' Market on Sundays (much smaller, but less than 10 minutes away from me). I wrote that up and showed pictures in my eGullet Foodblog a few weeks ago. . . http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1330013

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Isn't it great? Some of the same vendors show up at the Mililani Farmers' Market on Sundays (much smaller, but less than 10 minutes away from me). I wrote that up and showed pictures in my eGullet Foodblog a few weeks ago. . . http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1330013

Suzy,

Great photos in your blog!! I remember checking it out around the holidays. I've been meaning to check out some of the other farmer's markets on the island, but so far I've only been to the KCC, the Manoa shopping center, and the one downtown on Tuesday(?). My wife and I always say that we're going to take photos and post them, but we get overtaken by events and it never happens. Maybe we'll get up early and check out Mililani one of these days!!

BTW, are you involved in the local Slow Foods movement?

I've been meaning to check out some of the other farmer's markets on the island, but so far I've only been to the KCC, the Manoa shopping center, and the one downtown on Tuesday(?).  My wife and I always say that we're going to take photos and post them, but we get overtaken by events and it never happens.  Maybe we'll get up early and check out Mililani one of these days!!

BTW, are you involved in the local Slow Foods movement?

The city runs a whole bunch of People's Open Markets. Are those the ones you're talking about in Manoa and downtown? I sometimes go to the one in Wahiawa (the closest one to me). Years ago, when we lived in Waikiki, I used to frequent the twice-weekly (Tuesdays and Thursdays) farmers' market at the Waikiki Community Center for nearly all my fresh produce. Kaiser has also been hosting farmers' markets at some of its clinic locations. I haven't been able to make them on a regular basis, but have always bought items when I've gone.

No, we're not involved in Slow Foods. Are you?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

The beeswax candles are neat. The strawberry syrup from Maui is excellent. Mix it with some

balsamic vinegar for a really great dressing. We love the ginger syrup too. The list is longer than

yours of stuff that my husband bought yesterday, he loves going there. Slow Foods has had a few

benefits at town in the past year which are always fun to attend. Often you'll see Ed Kenney of

town buying up loads and loads of produce for the restaurant on Saturdays. A hui hou :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I'm addicted to the KCC market, too.

Keep an eye out for the green radicchio--sorry, I don't know how to describe which stand carries it. I'm not sure it shouldn't be called chicory instead of radicchio, but in any case, it's incredibly delicious and just slightly less bitter than most radicchios.

When the oatcake people have their five-spice biscotti, those are fantastic too.

And the taro dips--surprisingly tasty, as well.

Yeah, the greens are amazing there. We got some spicy curly cress last week...made great salads. I love the way the Oat Cake folks try to push the samples on us, even though we buy some every week...nothin' like free grub on a Saturday morning!! Just finished off some long beans, eggplant, and broccoli along with some tofu from Soy to the World in a stir fry this evening. STTW is a new tofu and soymilk "factory" (it's a storefront with a modest, and by all accounts, impeccably clean production facility in the back) in Manoa that makes all of their products in house, and you can really taste the difference in quality. Staff is really friendly too.

Has anyone noticed that Italian Parsley is much easier to find lately? It grows like a weed on the mainland, but it seems to be seasonal here. Has anyone noticed this as well? I asked someone at KCC once, and was curtly told that Hawaii has mostly "Asian culture." Not really an answer, because parsley is pretty easy to grow. Maybe she just meant that there isn't much of a market here...and that most people prefer "Chinese Parsley" (cilantro). Any thoughts?

Yeah, I searched desperately for Italian parsley a few months back and there wasn't a leaf or stem to be found.

So can you buy tofu straight from the place in Manoa, or only at the market? There were a couple weeks in a row when they weren't there.

Right now I'm roasting whole plum tomatoes which takes about 4 hours give or take and

some of those gorgeous purple striped baby eggplant and some beets. I'm making my

dogs' food with NS beef, beet tops, purple sweet potatoes, celery, and carrots all from the

market. Last night I made watercress soup with that awesome Maui watercress and a

little stir fry of mini white potatoes, NS Cattle Company Andouille and red bell peppers,

along with a salad of Ma'o farms greens, Big Island hears of palm and NS Big Wave

tomatoes with that Kula Strawberry syrup/balsamic dressing. The only thing not from the

market was the balsamic vinegar. For Italian Parsley we just buy plants from Growing

Creations (Ed) and use that all the time, his plants are really good and produce.

Off to check the dog food! A hui hou!

Right now I'm roasting whole plum tomatoes which takes about 4 hours give or take and

some of those gorgeous purple striped baby eggplant and some beets. I'm making my

dogs' food with NS beef, beet tops, purple sweet potatoes, celery, and carrots all from the

market. Last night I made watercress soup with that awesome Maui watercress and a

little stir fry of mini white potatoes, NS Cattle Company Andouille and red bell peppers,

along with a salad of Ma'o farms greens, Big Island hears of palm and NS Big Wave

tomatoes with that Kula Strawberry syrup/balsamic dressing. The only thing not from the

market was the balsamic vinegar. For Italian Parsley we just buy plants from Growing

Creations (Ed) and use that all the time, his plants are really good and produce.

Off to check the dog food! A hui hou!

I would eat your dogs' food....with a cold Longboard Lager, and I wouldn't even have to be that hungry! Sounds like you had a good take too!!! I'd buy some plants myself, but I travel quite a bit and I'm sure I'd find some sad brown sticks where my parsley used to be when I came back from a trip.

Sometimes when the cherry tomatoes look really good, I buy a crapload, and oven dry them overnight. Just slice the little buggers in half, toss 'em in olive oil, sprinkle wit da local kine salt, and set the oven to the lowest setting. put them on a cookie sheet face-up, and roast 'em overnight. You're house will smell like Italy in the morning, and they keep for about a week in the fridge (although they've never lasted that long in our house)

As for the tofu, you can go straight to the source at the Manoa shopping center. They've got take-out food too, like wraps and really good desserts. If you're up that way, you should give it a look.

Yahoo! Alii Kula Lavender is coming tomorrow - and if you didn't pre-order/pay

get there EARLY they sell out of all the cool things! If you ever get the chance - GO!!!!!

The lavender farm is like being in heaven, the views, the care and love for the

plants (lavender, protea, etc.) is so inspiring! a hui hou!

Pastele sausages! YOW! Amazing! Kukui Sausage Co. GET SOME! They had their kimchee sausage

on a bun today which we bought a couple weeks ago (in a package/frozen) luscious! We got lots

and lots of gorgeous tiny tomatoes in all shapes and colors from Ho Farms, lots of beets ( more

beet tops for the girls), MA'O Farms greens, tons of stuff from Maui which you can now order online

and pick up at the market - great for folks like us that can't get it together to arrive early! Some very fragrant orchids and other orchids, lots of great citrus from the Maui booth, I can't remember

everything but the car was packed! We then went to the BIA (building) show and the covered parking kept everything nice and fresh! BTW we had a really lovely lunch at Brew Moon in the

Ward Centre after, don't think the wasabi aioli is what you'd think it is, it is actually "loose" to

quote the really wonderful server but actually is water/wasabi powder with no flavor this is served

with the blackened ahi sandwich which was crackling with flavor and bacon (at first we were

skeptical) and avocado that could stand on it's own - and did - that "wasabi aioli" was just a

travesty. The food and our server and the fresh brewed beers were wonderful. The only

thing that was a bummer was seeing the new "state bird" the construction crane as part of the

horizon toward Punchbowl and the surrounding valleys. A hui hou!

Yes, those pastele sausages are amazing! I don't like their portuguese sausage though

NS Cattle Co. is preferred in our house. I like the Maui watercress alot too, a little bit

more than Sumida's. Good news, in two weeks carrots return, their tops are coming

through the ground very nicely according to reliable sources. Got some really good

and sweet corn yesterday too. Probably the Foodland here won't have Ho's tomatoes,

our Foodland bites, so does our Times and Safeway with the new remodel has become

a joke, I only shop there to see all the nice people I've come to know over the past

13 years. For goodness sake, I actually shopped the Kailua Safeway to get bare

essentials! A hui hou! Off to eat a papaya we just picked :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

We got some of the Ho's farms tomatoes this week too. They had some good looking Japanese cucumbers, but we'd already bought some. We also got a bunch of herbs, some Thai eggplant, and some wing beans (!). Afterward, we had lunch at Soy to the World up in Manoa, but I have to say I was tempted by that burger and steak joint next to Taco Bell....I'll have to make a special trip up there for lunch one of these days. Also got some good Meyer lemons and some fresh bay leaves. Trying to figure out this weeks menu for dinners since we've got a friend coming in from the mainland. Good thing she likes to eat!! We're also partial to the NS Portuguese sausage over the Kukui Sausage Company.

Almost forgot...we finally checked out Tamura's in Kaimuki. Awesome selection of gourmet stuff. Bought some spicy anchovies and fresh mozzarella...bring on the pizza!

Yes! we got one of those pizza stones for the grill that our friend Jeanne has who

is the NS Big Wave tomato farmer and we're making fresh pizza tonight! Carrots

are coming soon so be on the lookout, this week they were still not tall enough.

Check out Growing Creations herbs and plants, gorgeous stuff! We had a party

with some of the farmers from the market at KCC and it was a most magical

event! The beets still are great too! I had some typos! sorry! Oh, it's not working

for the keyboard! A hui hou :wink:

Edited by oneidaone (log)

• 1 month later...

Update: The big wave tomatoes are back, got some yellow cherries and some regular beefsteak kind, as well as some fresh Mozzarella. Also got Thai eggplant, red skin potatoes, cilantro, Italian parsley, green onions, broccoli, red and green peppers, some awesome jalapeños, thyme, zucchini, Japanese cucumbers, red leaf and romaine lettuce, bean sprouts, limes, Meyer and Lisbon lemons, fresh eggs, bananas, strawberries, and papayas. We were hungry so we got some Thai food from the nice couple who sells flowers and authentic Thai stuff, then we got a beignet.

Got some cookin' to do this week!!

We got some great pesto from Jeanne at Big Wave really good. I think she uses it

on the pizza that she makes we had in on pizza at home with her mozzarella and then on roasted potatoes from the market. The carrots have been so good the last few weeks! I've also been enjoying the cauliflower. Kara over at Maunawilli has had

some tasty sprouts in addition to her hydroponic lettuces. The MA'O farms has changed their bags and they now reseal which is a nice thing for their greens mix.

We got some great pesto from Jeanne at Big Wave really good. I think she uses it

on the pizza that she makes we had in on pizza at home with her mozzarella and then on roasted potatoes from the market. The carrots have been so good the last few weeks! I've also been enjoying the cauliflower. Kara over at Maunawilli has had

some tasty sprouts in addition to her hydroponic lettuces. The MA'O farms has changed their bags and they now reseal which is a nice thing for their greens mix.

Kara was packing up when we arrived, so we missed her this week. Where did you find the cauliflower? We've been looking for it but haven't seen it!

I think it's at Souane but they weren't there this week. I really love their carrots too. I just roast them and eat them plain. I am also compltely enamored of the beets, the big ones with the bushy tops and chioggia. Do try the cauliflower if you find it! I think that maybe Hana Fresh had some too but I could be wrong since I don't go - it's my husband that makes it his Saturday ritual while I stay home with the dogs and tasks and await the bounty!

Souane is where he gets the cauliflower and the carrots too. We've been loving the

raddiccio (sp?) from Hana Fresh, we grill it and make a type of light dressing with

anchovies and a few other things and use that with Jeanne's buffalo mozzarella for

a very tasty side dish, we had it the other day at our scrambled egg bar party and also

dipped dozens and dozens of Kula strawberries and won ton pi (from Maebo in Hilo)

in one of those fountains that my neighbor brought over which turned out to be loads

of fun but a real pain to clean! This weekend is egg dyeing probably with GlossyP over

and a few others, the regular group, whatever the market has is what we'll serve!

Lots of cools stuff Today:

Butter Lettuce; Baby Spinach; Baby Swiss Chard; Thai Eggplant; Fiddlehead Ferns; Okra; Red and Green Peppers; Japanese Cucumbers; Leeks; Green Onions; Shallots; Tomatoes of various size and color; Fresh Turmeric; Fresh Italian Oregano; Rambutan; Bananas.

We also got some Akamai Oat Cakes, and a bowl of Portuguese Bean Soup.

Stopped at Kokua Market for their grand reopening today as well. Pretty interesting new deli section.

Yep, the fresh tumeric is always a winner! Great in the carrot soup (carrots from

Souane) fabulous cauliflower, broccoli, no strawberries anywhere though, enough

tomatoes to cover our entire counter on the side of the kitchen, haricot vert and wax

beans from Terry in Hauula - his tomatoes will be coming back though! And, each week

those little treasures striped in green & yellow, the Eureka lemons!!!! I actually baked

today to take to dinner across the street, Lemon bars made with these, just unbelievable!!!And I hate to bake!!! You've got to try these lemons!!!! Then of course

all the usual greens, beets, potatoes, corn and such. Saturdays are a treat!!!!!

A hui hou and HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!

whoops! One more n than needed in Souane!

Edited by oneidaone (log)