• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After Dinner Cocktails

Danne

tomorrow I'm going to have some friends over for dinner, as dessert I would like to make an after dinner cocktail. this is an easy task, but if I don't want to use alexander, grasshopper, godmoter, golden cadillac (and so on about the clasics) what do you think is nice? do you have a favourite afterdinner cocktail?

right now I'm trying to make something with strawberry liqueure.. it dosn't go as I please. som I'm turning to you guys, I hope you can give me some new inspiration.

Is your strawberry liqueur Fragole di Nemi? It's very tasty spooned over vanilla gelato with a turn of fresh black pepper, or made into a strawberry kir royale with Champagne or prosecco.

Howzabout Strawberry liqueur, a bit of fresh lime juice, vodka and a splash of cream soda? Or a splash strawberry liqueur in brandy in a snifter? I dunno. Think of all the things you like strawberries with and start from there. Or substitute the strawberry liqueur for another similar ingredient (Chambord, maybe maraschino if you added some white vermoth/Lillet/Dubonnet to dry it a bit) in an established cocktail recipe and see what it gets you. Sometimes these experiments are like draining the bar mat. Sometimes they yield brilliance. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I often enjoy a cocktail after dinner, and I think a Sazerac on an extremely full stomach is one of the best feelings in the world, although Sazeracs are not for everyone. One of my favorites after dinner that is sweet enough to be approachable to the casual drinker is the de la Louisiane. It goes something like this:

3/4 oz Rye (I like Wild Turkey 101 but soon to be tried with the baby Saz)

3/4 oz Italian (Sweet) Vermouth -- Martini & Rossi is acceptable

3/4 oz Benedictine

3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

3 dashes Herbsaint or other pastis (Pernod, etc)

Stir and strain into small chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist and a maraschino cherry if you just can't help yourself.

So good.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I often enjoy a cocktail after dinner, and I think a Sazerac on an extremely full stomach is one of the best feelings in the world, although Sazeracs are not for everyone. One of my favorites after dinner that is sweet enough to be approachable to the casual drinker is the de la Louisiane. It goes something like this:

3/4 oz Rye (I like Wild Turkey 101 but soon to be tried with the baby Saz)

3/4 oz Italian (Sweet) Vermouth -- Martini & Rossi is acceptable

3/4 oz Benedictine

3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

3 dashes Herbsaint or other pastis (Pernod, etc)

Stir and strain into small chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist and a maraschino cherry if you just can't help yourself.

So good.

-Andy

Gotta agree with de la Louisiane. It's not what I usually think of as an after dinner drink, but I really like this combo. Benedictine lends itself to after dinner in my book.

KathyM

Well of course a Sazerac or Sidecar or Louisiane is great after dinner. I was thinking Sidecar myself. I thought the challenge here was to make use of the Strawberry liqueur.

If I'd known it didn't matter I'd have said a snifter of the finest cognac you can afford and have been done with it. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

:blink: Wow, sounds sweet, was this in place of dessert?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

thanks for the answers guys!

but i went my own way with equal parts of kaluha and frangelico, topped with light whipped cream.

That certainly takes care of dessert! A bit sweet for my tastes, but if your guests enjoyed it, it was a success.

KathyM

yes, it was the dessert, I think that a cocktail is easier and makes more of a conversation than just some scoops of ice-cream.

I was trying to get some type of drink that is related to golden cadillac, brandy alexander those types of drinks.

and yes there was more ladies than men.. at least after the cocktail.. hehe.

yes, it was the dessert, I think that a cocktail is easier and makes more of a conversation than just some scoops of ice-cream.

I was trying to get some type of drink that is related to golden cadillac, brandy alexander those types of drinks.

and yes there was more ladies than men.. at least after the cocktail.. hehe.

What about Espresso Cocktails?

Cheers!

George

If I'm gonna go for the postprandial diabetic coma, it will usually be by sampling some sweet or fortified wine, not a sweet cocktail.

As a digestive, I have to admit I am fond of a Rye Manhattan, long on the sweet vermouth and bitters, after dinner. No cherry, thanks. However, for some reason, this is a heretical idea, and I have been discouraged by my peers from pursuing it further in public.

Que sera, the ones at home are almost always better, anyway.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA