• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Suggestions Near the Delta Suites?

merlin

After posting my reply to Makanmakan and Sushi Cat within the thread discussing Greek food I thought that rather than hijack that discussion I should repost here with my request for suggestions.

We are going to be in Vancouver for the week-end early in March and then head over to Victoria for a few days.

We have Victoria pretty well planned due to past favourites and some of the new ones I have noted in the newest edition of EAT which arrived a couple of weeks ago.

However, we have not spent a lot of time in Vanouver of late though due to this site and others are pretty familiar with Vancouver dining but not necessarily the locations and proximity to where we will be staying.

This is what I wrote and inquired about in the previously mentioned thread:

makanmakan:

Your comment about the Costa Del Sol reminds me of honeymooning in Portugal. Part of the time we were in Lagos in the Algarve. I can still "smell" those sardines being grilled streetside just off the wharf in little hibatchi's. Served just as described.

Sushicat:

That is what I had thought given this thread and others. Too bad. I sure wish there was a place to find simple grilled fish even if not Greek.

My wife and I are heading out to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday so our first night will be at the Atlantic Trap and Grill in Yaletown. Not my choice but a bunch of us used to live in the Maritimes before heading West in search of fame and fortune...they did...I got debt [smile]....it should be a good "shaker" ..."some good" as they would say [grin]

Once I recover from the inevitable hangover that comes from drinking too much dark rum and Moosehead Ale we will be thinking about eating lunch and supper on Saturday and Sunday before heading over to Victoria for a few more days.

We thoroughly enjoyed West, Cin Cin, Joe Fortes, Rain City Grill and Cru during our most recent visits. We usually end up in the North Shore with the same folks who are hosting the birthday party so have been to Gusto Corsi, La Regalade, Beachside when it was open and The Beach House at Dundarave Pier.

This visit I think we would prefer to stay around where we are. We have never tried the Bins nor the Guu's, Hapa Itzakaya and the like but my wife is not particularly adventuresome when it comes to food.

Any suggestions for the area around Seymour and West Hastings? We are staying at the Delta Suites in that area.

This post has been edited by merlin: Today, 11:28 AM

Chambar and Wild Rice are a short walk from where you are staying. They are both about 5 city blocks away, near the Pender St. and Beatty St. intersection.

For lunch, there is a spot called Sciue's closeby that makes good Italian pizza and coffee. It is on Pender and Howe.

Chambar and Wild Rice are a short walk from where you are staying.  They are both about 5 city blocks away, near the Pender St. and Beatty St. intersection.

For lunch, there is a spot called Sciue's closeby that makes good Italian pizza and coffee.  It is on Pender and Howe.

You can have a breakfast kolachy at the Kolachy Shop! If you love coffee also Café Artigiano--that must be quite close. You must walk up to Sen5es for chocolates and there's Diva at the Met, too.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

If you love coffee also Café Artigiano--that must be quite close.

There's a Cafe Artigiano on Hastings between Howe and Granville, very close to Delta Suites.

It's also a relatively short walk to Gastown and pleasures of Salt Tasting Room and the Irish Heather.

Cheers,

Anne

A very short cab ride (about $7) or a pleasant 30 minutes walk away is Parkside. If you haven't been it's a must try. Lovely room, lovely staff and gorgeous food....not to mention a great bartender!

I also second all of the above.

Sadly, no grilled fresh sardines to be found in these parts. :raz:

Quentina