• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need birthday cake

VictorFiorillo

If your wife likes chocolate and hazelnut, you should definitely get a cake at the Night Kitchen in Chestnut Hill. They have the most amazing Praline Cake--super moist chocolate cake with hazelnut buttercream. The sides are decorated with chopped carmelized hazelnuts. I've never had their other things but the web site shows some beautiful cakes. http://www.nightkitchenbakery.com/

where do you live, victor? there are so many great neighborhood spots like isgro or sarcone's (can you tell i live in south philly?) that are both beautiful and delicious. if you're in a bind, whole foods has some beautiful looking (can't vouch for the taste) cakes. happy birthday to them both!

Victor:

Hard to believe the little one is almost one! Time flies...

I'll second the recommendations for Night Kitchen (totally worth the short drive to Chestnut Hill. Everything I've ever had from there has been awesome) or some of the South Philly bakeries. In South Philly I'm partial to the original South 8th Street location of Termini's. It's like stepping out of the flux capacitor into the 1940's. Everything is delicious. Varallo Brothers at the corner of 10th & McKean is pretty good too. I've taken their baked goods to friend's homes and there was never anything left.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For a sophisticated, grown-up buttercream birthday cake, Cake in Chestnut Hill is the place. I am partial to the yellow cake with buttercream icing and raspberry mousse between the layers. They also do chocolate cake, chocolate icing, mocha filling and probably a few other choices.

I like Isgros in the Italian market for buttercream sheet cakes.

Victor:

In South Philly I'm partial to the original South 8th Street location of Termini's.  It's like stepping out of the flux capacitor into the 1940's.  Everything is delicious. 

Thanks for the clarification, Katie. I meant Termini's rather than Sarcone's! And you can grab a cup of coffee from their cafe across the street afterwards. It comes with a delicious biscotti. But if you're looking for some great bread for the birthday dinner, Sarcone's it is!

My family is really particular about their cakes, so if I can't bake one for them, I go to Night Kitchen in Chestnut Hill or Whole Foods. Both use butter and bake from scratch. Exquisite cakes aren't inexpensive, but in my book they are worth every penny.

Enjoy both of the events!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow