• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Ganache - Fillings and Glazes

Malawry

Thanks Steve. While I am new to this group, I am familiar with your teaching style which is rich, infomative and always facinating. I took a cake decorating class from you in '97 or '98 at Whole Foods Market in Arlington, VA when you taught for Peter Krump's School. I have passed on your wisdom to many pastry newbies since and I still have the gum paste rose I made in that class.

"Life really is too short for cheap chocolate"

• 10 months later...

I want to make a gianduja ganache filling for some chocolate macaro(o)ns. I have some American Almond brand hazelnut praline paste to use for this purpose. Does anyone have a recipe? Thanks in advance!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks/ I don't have any Gianduja chocolate, unfortunately, or I could just use it for a filling. I was thinking that Gianduja was just a mixture of milk chocolate and a praline hazelnut paste, and that I could make the filling with the praline paste, some milk or semisweet chocolate, and some cream or milk or liquer.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

You can get that several ways, as you already mentioned. You could use cream in your chocolate (milk or semi-sweet) making a ganache then add the praline paste to taste. Or just use the praline paste and straight chocolate (again, either milk or semi-sweet, or bitter if you wanted). You could add a liquer too, if you like....to either ways I've mentioned.

Just adjust the amount of liquid to get the texture you want, in your finished product. In the case of just using chocolate and paste, use a higher percentage of paste to soften the chocolate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I am planning on using Sheryl Yard's Caramel Ganache this weekend for a pretty big cake. Yellow cake--whimsical bakehouse-- filled with whipped cream or pastry cream and topped with the chocolate caramel ganache.

I am wondering if I can get air into this ganache. Also, does it hold up well? Can it be left our for 3-4 hours. I am not trying it out before hand because I will EAT all of it myself. For those of you who have used it, should I fill the cake with pastry cream or whipped cream? I am thinking whipped cream to counter the sweetness of said ganache. Thanks in advance.

Edited by chantal (log)

sorry can't help. just drooling......

Have her book, only tried the cupcake recipe so far, no time to play.

Your concoction sounds delish. Chocolate caramel ganache.....hmmm..yum

BTW- just tried the Whimsical Bakehouse Golden Cake. Great tender, moist, buttery yellow cake.

sorry can't help. just drooling......

Have her book, only tried the cupcake recipe so far, no time to play.

Your concoction sounds delish. Chocolate caramel ganache.....hmmm..yum

BTW- just tried the Whimsical Bakehouse Golden Cake.  Great tender, moist, buttery yellow cake.

Thanks. I really hope it comes out well. I am a sucker for chocolate, caramel and yellow cake.

For those of us who don't have the book, can you enlighten us with the basic recipe?

If I know how it's made and what it's made of, I can probably tell whether it's whippable or not. :wink:

Thanks Anne, It didn't even occur to me to post it.

here it is

1/2 c. sugar

2T. water

1 T. corn syrup

Cook to 350.

Then add 1 cup boiled heavy cream

Then add 4 oz bittersweet choc

and 4 oz milk choc

Cool to room temp.

Thanks again

Ok, without actually having tried the recipe, but looking at proportions, I would guess that

yes, you can whip it, but it may not be as fluffy as a ganache that didn't have caramel in it.

Argh. I must say, it's a tough call.

Guess I'll have to make some!

The recipe sounds great! :smile:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

I'm a little confused about your question. Are you wanting to whip the caramel ganche or just use it as is?

Every ganche recipe I've used could be whipped (to add air) once it was chilled down. Then it held indefinately (of course it will spoil eventually) if the room temp. was normal (not hot).

If I whip my standard ganche, once I stop the mixer and let it set only for a few moments, it becomes VERY firm. It sets.....so in order to frost or pipe it I'd have to reheat/warm it to break the texture back down to a spreadable consistancy.

I think you can whip the recipe you posted. If it was more like 50% caramel to ganche then I think it might not want to whip stiff.

But you don't have to chill or whip the ganche to use it as a frosting. Pour it over your cake when it's room temp. as a frosting.

I'm a little confused about your question. Are you wanting to whip the caramel ganche or just use it as is?

Every ganche recipe I've used could be whipped (to add air) once it was chilled down. Then it held indefinately (of course it will spoil eventually) if the room temp. was normal (not hot).

If I whip my standard ganche, once I stop the mixer and let it set only for a few moments, it becomes VERY firm. It sets.....so in order to frost or pipe it I'd have to reheat/warm it to break the texture back down to a spreadable consistancy.

I think you can whip the recipe you posted. If it was more like 50% caramel to ganche then I think it might not want to whip stiff.

But you don't have to chill or whip the ganche to use it as a frosting. Pour it over your cake when it's room temp. as a frosting.

Thanks guys. I was just thinking about how I am going to fill and decorate it. If I can whip it, maybe I'll use it is a filling instead. I haven't really decided. It looks like we have got some hot weather coming up again, so maybe I'd better just pour it.

• 1 month later...

I have some leftover bittersweet chocolate ganache and I don't know what to do with it. We're really broke right now so can't afford to buy any special ingredients, but I have typical pantry items on hand - butter, flour, sugar, milk, nuts, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions for something fairly quick and easy? My boys are very "sweet" oriented so I need something that will counter the bittersweetness of the ganache.

What would you do?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Make tiny meringues and sandwich them together using the ganache.

With a piping bag one may also be able to fill meringue kisses from the bottom. (I haven't tried this)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here's some easy ideas:

Make chocolate chip cookie dough. Leave out the chips. Bake the cookies. Then ice the tops with the ganache when they're cool. KIDS LOVE FROSTING!

Use the ganache to make chocolate milk. You can also use it to make your own Mochas if you're into espresso drinks.

You can also use ganache as a brownie icing.

Scoop the ganache when it's firm and roll the little balls in M&M's or nuts or sprinkles....KIDS LOVE SPRINKLES! (So do I :raz:)

For a quick and easy no-frills goodie (enough qualifiers in there?) we'd frost graham crackers with ganache making little sandwiches. Then pop these in the freezer and eat them frozen.

The ganache gets nice and chewy when frozen.

Happiness was growing up with a mom who's a pastry chef...

flavor floozy

chocolate bread pudding!

cube stale baguette or similar bread (about 6 cups)

toss them in a bowl with about 1/4 cup melted butter

make a custard: heat 1 cup milk, 1 cup cream, pour over about 5 oz. chocolate (use your ganache here) and mix until smooth

pour this over: 4 egg yolks that you have whisked with about a cup of sugar.

Pour it over the bread cubes and let soak for about an hour or so.

Bake in buttered dish for about 30 minutes at 350.

This is endlessly variable. If you have stale cookies, brownies or cake around you can throw them in place of some of the bread, sometimes I have caramels or toffee bits around and throw them in the mix, spices are good. chili, cinnamon or any other you like with chocolate, a little bourbon if kids aren't eating it. Yummy. Good with ice cream or whipped cream or fruit.

Ooh, great ideas everybody! Thanks! I will definitely do one or more of these!

I knew y'all would know. :wub:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• 3 weeks later...