• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Ganache - Fillings and Glazes

Malawry

Kerry

That was my initial thought. This recipe might be used for molds. When you added bittersweet chocolate, did the truffle hold shape pretty well? Did you also cover it in dark chocolate?

Mark

It held a truffle shape nicely. I also added some frangelico and a bit of glucose to help with the shelf life. Dipped in bittersweet as I recall.

It was a huge batch for a fund raising so for 250 truffles of 1 tsp each

1200 g gianduja

500 g bittersweet

625 ml cream

75 ml frangelico

50 g glucose

Kerry

Made these the other day & they were excellent.

MaRK

I have another recipe I use when I don't have any gianduja, uses hazelnut paste, bittersweet and milk chocolate. Let me know if you are interested in that one as well.

Kerry

I would be interested in that too. Always looking for good new tastes and flavors for truffles & molded candies.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

This one is also for 250 truffles.

400 grams butter

500 grams hazelnut paste (not the sweet version)

500 grams bittersweet chocolate

500 grams milk chocolate

This is more like the centre in guylian chocolates than a true truffle, but it scoops ok.

• 6 months later...

I make chocolate rugelach on occasion, generally just finely chopping chocolate and rolling it up in the dough. I find them a bit dry.

My thought was to use a ganache, but I was worried that it would be come too liquid and run out during cooking. Since rugelach are a cream cheese cookie, much of the fat in the dough being cream cheese, I decided to try a ganache marrying cream cheese and chocolate rather than another dairy. Didn't really work. The ganache was a nice consistency, really, but once it baked it became dried out and grainy.

Haven't tried a real ganache yet. Thought I would post here first and get some suggestions. I was thinking that a pain au chocolat/chocolate croissant filling might work, but all the recipes I see just use plain chocolate. However, I know I've had chocolate croissants where it seemed like the chocolate was almost creamy.

Suggestions?

Most of the chocolate rugelach I've had use cocoa, sugar and butter/margarine. You just make a paste and spread it on. I would try it with a paste, and then sprinkle some grated chocolate over it before cutting and rolling.

The Baker's Catalog sells the chocolate batons for pain au chocolat. They also sell "Chocolate Shmear" which comes in a can. It's pretty good. I have been coating my raw rugelach dough with raspbery jam, and then plopping some chocolate shmear over it. Gloppy, gooey, thick, and good. They also sell an almond shmear as well.

For years, I tried to come up with a chocolate filling for hamantashen similar to what you are looking for in the rugelach. The ganache failed horribly no matter how I doctored it. Now I use Nutella. I've had my eye on the "shmear" and may give that a try.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 4 weeks later...

i need to make a milk chocolate ganache as a cake filling for a client. my regular recipe uses bittersweet chocolate - can i just substitute the bittersweet for milk chocolate? i'm concerned that the extra milk solids in milk chocolate would mess up the ganache consistency ...

help?

I've been doing a bit of research for interesting filling flavours for cakes and came across a cabernet cake on someone's site. It was a cabernet flavoured ganache that covered the cake. My question is, would the ganache be made with the wine in place of cream or, made as usual and have the wine added after?

Any input would be great especially a recipe. Thanks!

I have never made a wine ganache, but here are my thoughts.

You should not leave out the heavy cream. Wine is mostly made of water. Have you ever added some water to melted chocolate? You end up with a thick, globby mess of seized chocolate goo. To avoid seizing the chocolate you either need to add just a little bit, which results in a slightly thicker chocolate, or you need to add a lot, which results in a thin, soupy chocolate. I have heard of some people making a strictly water-based ganache, which I have tried myself and have to say... it sucks. You really need the fat from the heavy cream to coat your mouth and provide a rich, luxurious feel. The water-based ganaches I've tried to make have been astringent and not very palatable.

However, once you've made the ganache with the heavy cream, you can add water-based flavorings without seizing the chocolate. I'd try adding the wine to an ordinary ganache and see what it tastes like. What about reducing the wine to a syrup to concentrate the flavor and minimize the water content? It would change the flavor of the wine, but it may still give you what you're looking for.

Best of luck.

Sean

(Edited to correct spelling mistakes)

Edited by naes (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I couldn't find the relevant topic. If possible, may you give the link?

There are a lot of different chocolate/cream ratio. All the books I have give different ratios for truffles but some of them are not working for me.

So, my question is what are the golden ratios for plain bitter, milk and white ganaches for truffles for hand-rolling.

Thanks.

Edited by Ceviz (log)

• 2 months later...

I would love to know how to get that flawless finish. Also, any recipes would be appreciated. Right now I do a peanut butter cup cheesecake that is covered in ganache, but they don't have to be perfect and also I do a sort of zig-zag on top and then sprinkle on toasted, chopped peanuts, so it doesn't matter. But I'd love to be able to do larger cakes with a perfect, smooth finish on top and around the sides without spatula marks or drips. Any tips?

I think adding some corn syrup enhances that shiny business effect. Plus I put some butter in mine. But I'm not positive. But more people will answer especially since I said c-o-r-n s-y-r-u-p. :biggrin:

The Glaze of all Glaze....I got this recipe from my chef in Culinary school and it will give you a brilliant shine everytime...it's thinner than most other ganaches but its shine is great....

12 oz. Butter

2 oz. Corn Syrup

1 Pound Chocolate

Dont tell anyone ;)

You need to make sure that your cake is smooth first. I would mask it with a thin layer of chocolate buttercream or a whipped ganache. Chill the cake so that the "crumb coat" is firm. Place the cake on a rack and pour the warm ganache over the top. Use a offset spatula to swipe the excess off to one side, you can also tap the rack so that all the glaze can drip off the sides.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman