• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What ever happened to white grapefruit?

Fat Guy

I recall when I was a kid most grapefruits were white, and occasionally you saw a pink or red one. Now I don't even see white grapefruits in a lot of American stores. Is the color that important to people? As far as I can tell it doesn't affect flavor at all.

I've also heard that in Japan they prefer white grapefruits. Any truth to that? What about in other countries?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I read that red and pink grapefruit have the heart-healthy cancer-fighting antioxidant phytochemical called lycopene while white grapefruit does not... now it is my turn to ask "any truth to that"?

article here

Although white grapefruit is immensely popular in Japan, "here, you can't give white grapefruit away any more," said Granata. He estimates that he sells 100 cases of white grapefruit a month, compared to 600 to 800 cases of red. Of the Florida output of 26 million boxes, about 17 million will be of pink or red grapefruit, noted Palmer. But in blind taste tests, he said, no one can differentiate among the red, pink, and white types.
Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I read that red and pink grapefruit have the heart-healthy cancer-fighting antioxidant phytochemical called lycopene while white grapefruit does not...

I do hope my post won't be zapped because its rather a spin-off but with regard to "heart-healthy, cancer-fighting antioxidants" by any name, I am simply sick and weary of reading on a thrice-daily basis about the latest discovery in food or wine that will ensure that we live at least an hour or two longer.

Forgive me for being true to my curmudgeon's nature, but it all reminds me of the study done at Cornell University that led us to believe that for every three minutes spent doing exercise we would live three minutes longer. I'm willing to grant that, but let's forget that those extra three minutes were spent doing exercise and I'm also willing to pass on that happy opportunity.

Don't misunderstand, I'm all for living longer and, more importantly, better, but when we start perceiving grapefruits, red wines, beer, asparagus and yes, tournedos Rossini and chocolate ice cream sundaes as entirely good or bad for our health; when we measure the French Paradox and the Mediterranean Diet as our be-all and end-all, we are forgetting two important factors:

(a) No matter (within intelligent limits) how well or badly one eats, the impact of what we eat and drink is far more dependent on our life-styles than on the contents of what we consume. The leisurely meal consumed in good company and with good wine is part of what makes life worth living. It is not an issue of health

(b) Sensual pleasure in moderation is far better for our health and well-being than suffering in the name of longevity.

Apologies if this is off-topic but please, please, don't zap it!!

Thanks

I can tell a distinct difference, even between pink and red varieties.

White Marsh is seedy and acidic. It even has a different smell. Not that the acid is a bad thing, but I can guarantee I could pick it out of a lineup blindfolded. Of course, I eat them off the tree.

I never can tell if the Japanese market really does prefer this or that, or if it's just what we're given. The proportion of pink/red grapefruit has been steadily rising over the past few years, definitely.

I think what Japan likes is something new. So in a while they can introduce white grapefruit, and we'll obligingly go ga-ga over it all over again.

In Japan, grapefruit and other large citrus like pomelo or shaddock or whatever (I'm always a bit hazy on the English names for the unusual citrus, and Japanese varieties are a bit different anyway)are often eaten out of hand, the tough membrane removed from each segment. Sweeter varieties are therefore popular.

In the same vein, I've been wondering what happened (here in Toronto, anyway) to Tropicana's regular grapefruit juice. All that's available now is their Ruby Red option. I happen to have preferred the regular juice, which was less sweet than the ruby red.

Could it be a matter of the growers'/marketers' perception that North Americans prefer everything sweeter than do their European/Asian counterparts? Is it akin to the inherent bitterness of Belgian endives having been bred out of those available on this continent?

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

In the same vein, I've been wondering what happened (here in Toronto, anyway) to Tropicana's regular grapefruit juice.  All that's available now is their Ruby Red option.  I happened to have preferred the regular juice, which was less sweet than the ruby red.

Could it be a matter of the growers'/marketers' perception that North Americans prefer everything sweeter than do their European/Asian counterparts?  Is it akin to the inherent bitterness of Belgian endives having been bred out of those available on this continent?

I like red grapefruit juice but also feel as you do about the non-availability of the tarter (to me) white grepefruit juice. I like tart and I don't mind the seeds! I've also worried that it is being phased out because the perception/reality? that most people want a sweeter grepefruit. Some red grapefruits are so mild you can barely detect the grapefruit flavor.

I think I recall some discussions in the cocktail forum where people complained about the dearth of white grapefruits available for making certain drinks for which red grepefruit juice was not a good substitute because of its sweeter taste.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have a red greapefruit every day. My internist says that they lower cholesterol. I happen to love grapefruits of all colors. I dont remember the last time i saw a white one.

In the same vein, I've been wondering what happened (here in Toronto, anyway) to Tropicana's regular grapefruit juice.  All that's available now is their Ruby Red option.  I happened to have preferred the regular juice, which was less sweet than the ruby red.

Could it be a matter of the growers'/marketers' perception that North Americans prefer everything sweeter than do their European/Asian counterparts?  Is it akin to the inherent bitterness of Belgian endives having been bred out of those available on this continent?

I like red grapefruit juice but also feel as you do about the non-availability of the tarter (to me) white grepefruit juice. I like tart and I don't mind the seeds! I've also worried that it is being phased out because the perception/reality? that most people want a sweeter grepefruit. Some red grapefruits are so mild you can barely detect the grapefruit flavor.

I think I recall some discussions in the cocktail forum where people complained about the dearth of white grapefruits available for making certain drinks for which red grepefruit juice was not a good substitute because of its sweeter taste.

The brother of one of my best friends gives all of his siblings a case of white grapefruits from Texas every year for Xmas. They remain the sweetest & most flavorful grapefruits I've ever had.

I have no idea what explains the larger trend other than The Madness Of Crowds.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

white grapefruits are certainly still around--they're most of the florida crop while the rubies and pinks come from texas. it's true that pinks have lycopene, it's also true as Daniel points out, that the health benefits are dubious. granted, if you ate 10 grapefruit a day it might make a difference, but i'm sure the acidity or something else would cause problems, then. in california we have some white grapefruit, but mostly we get (or got, freeze damage indeterminate as yet), some wonderful pummelo-grapefruit crosses, particularly oroblancos, which are sweet, slightly subacid (compared to a marsh), but still have that wonderful "piney" grapefruit note.

Russ, when you say they're most of the Florida crop, do you know the disposition of that crop? Specifically, what's actually being sold as whole fruit in American supermarkets? I could easily see the white portion of the crop mostly being consumed by juice and export. Anecdotal evidence is surely suspect, but I rarely see white grapefruits anymore in the stores where I shop. I assume there's a statistical breakdown from one department of agriculture or another somewhere.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know that in Monmouth and Middlesex Counties in NJ, white grapefruit have been available at the Rt9 Farmenr's Market, at both the Old Bridge and the Freehold locations. I have 3 in my kitchen right now, because I prefer them. How can someone NOT tell the difference? The white grapefruit are so much more, well, grapefruity! I can't eat them any longer, as of this week, my new cancer medication( :wub: YAY!!!!a medication! :biggrin: ) prohibits the eating of grapefruit, any colors! :shock:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Found this recent article in the Star-Ledger, a New Jersey newspaper. It covers a lot of ground. Unfortunately I think it might disappear behind a paywall soon, so do check it out. One relevant quote:

Although white grapefruit is immensely popular in Japan, "here, you can't give white grapefruit away any more," said Granata. He estimates that he sells 100 cases of white grapefruit a month, compared to 600 to 800 cases of red. Of the Florida output of 26 million boxes, about 17 million will be of pink or red grapefruit, noted Palmer. But in blind taste tests, he said, no one can differentiate among the red, pink, and white types.

("Granata" refers to "Joe Granata of RLB Distributors in West Caldwell, which supplies produce to the Kings Super Markets")

("Palmer" refers to "Pete Palmer, director of retail communications with the Florida Department of Citrus in Lakeland")

Most pink grapefruits are seedless, or nearly so. White ones have lots of seeds. That may account for the difference in popularity.

I prefer the white. I peel them, slit the narrow end of the interior membrane on the wedges with a serrated vegetable knife and pull it off, but I'm peculiar. At least get all the peel off to avoid bitterness.

I've had white grapefruit right off the tree in Florida, and it's a different world -- extremely sweet. It keeps this flavor for less than a week and then turns into the more sour ones you get in supermarkets.

The recent ice storm has ruined this year's Florida grapefruit harvest, so get them while you can.

Russ, when you say they're most of the Florida crop, do you know the disposition of that crop? Specifically, what's actually being sold as whole fruit in American supermarkets? I could easily see the white portion of the crop mostly being consumed by juice and export. Anecdotal evidence is surely suspect, but I rarely see white grapefruits anymore in the stores where I shop. I assume there's a statistical breakdown from one department of agriculture or another somewhere.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Florida Citrus: http://www.floridajuice.com/industry_market_pro.php

This report seems to address your specific question.

http://www.floridajuice.com/user_upload/fi...2f2893dc908.pdf

"Based on the phased planting assumption, white seedless grapefruit production is projected

to increase by an average annual rate of 1.6% over the projection period, while red seedless

grapefruit production is projected to increase by an average annual rate of 2.6% (Table 18).

Assuming Tristeza results in relatively high tree loss rates for the next several years, white and red

seedless grapefruit production is estimated to decline somewhat for a few years and then recover.

Grapefruit production projections for the Indian River versus Interior regions are provided in Table

19."

I am aware of no cold weather related issues with Florida citrus, and in fact this is the first year in about 5 where (so far) weather conditions have been really good for Florida agriculture. No hurricanes last summer, mild winter, warmest January on record. I've already seen Plant City area strawberries out there. The Honeybelles are what you should be looking for this time of year.

As far as the blind taste test guy is concerned, sure, if you pull the fruit green, gas it up in a cold storage warehouse a week before you send it to the supermarket, it probably all tastes the same.

:rolleyes:

white grapefruits are certainly still around--they're most of the florida crop while the rubies and pinks come from texas. it's true that pinks have lycopene, it's also true as Daniel points out, that the health benefits are dubious. granted, if you ate 10 grapefruit a day it might make a difference, but i'm sure the acidity or something else would cause problems,

Consumption of grapefruit juice was linked pretty conslusively with kidney stones. Since those studies were done at least 10 years ago by my recollection, they probably involved white grapefruit juice. This probably also has nothing to do with the decline in consumption of white grapefruit snce few seem to remember the connection.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Two small sidenotes umm, my friend, Nancy here in Tennessee who's had a liver transplant, cannot consume grapefruit and hope to peacefully co-exist with her new liver similar to our lovely Rebecca in New York's issue. Livers don't absorb grapefruit or something.

Kroger, our local big grocery chain, had a huge white grapefruit display today.

So to answer your question of 'what ever happened to white grapefruit', they sent 'em to Tennessee but Nancy still can't have any.

Found this recent article in the Star-Ledger, a New Jersey newspaper. It covers a lot of ground. Unfortunately I think it might disappear behind a paywall soon, so do check it out. One relevant quote:

hmmm, looks like we read the exact same article, Fat Guy ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 3 months later...

In an unexpected turn of events, in the past couple of weeks the majority of grapefruits at the market where I shop have been white. I wonder if the late-season crop (these are all from Florida) tends white.

• 9 years later...

Thanks for that link.  I enjoyed the article and it sent me down the rabbit hole of the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection website looking for some of the white grapefruit varieties I see at my local farmers markets. 

I love reading about all these varieties.  A pity how many citrus varieties exist and how few are grown much commercially here in the US.  A pity.

• Like 2

I had also read the article.  I confess it had me googling for sources, of which I found none of course.  I wonder how the flavor of Duncan differs from other varieties of white grapefruit?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou