• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honoring the Life and Work of Bux (Robert Buxbaum)

Chris Amirault

It's difficult for me to use the past tense to write about Bux. These days, I've been reading his posts --read them here-- which also give you the sense that he's still around. In a way, he is, since his observations of food recorded in this site are an important part of its content and probably, always be.

He enjoyed every aspect of food and had one of the most discernible palates I know of. I will cherish the memories of meals and conversations we had, often through IM for hours, and regret not having had more of both.

Bux, you're truly, truly missed.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

When I was relatively new here and didn't know much about the mechanics of the site, various etiquette and rules, etc., I made a simple, honest yet serious mistake. I had wanted to insert a weblink, but not knowing how, I cut and pasted a long quote from what turned out to be a copyrighted article (oops). I shortly received a personal message from Bux- straightening me out, showing me how to do things correctly, pointing out the seriousness of the error- kind of like a "tough-love" lecture from a parent or teacher. Yet at the same time, I recognized his committment, his wanting this site to be as good as it could be, to have everyone respect the rules and to maintain high standards. I e-mailed him back with an apology and a resolution to live up to his expectations for participation in this site. Apology was accepted graciously.

Sincerest condolences to the family and may he rest in peace.

Mark A. Bauman

I also am one of those who only conversed with Bux on this site, publicly and privately. When I first joined as a member, I remember seeing that stick table avatar almost everywhere here. He was truly an instrumental voice in for writing with passion, conviction, and prinicple. Although I never met him personally, I'm grateful to have interacted with him here.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

No mentoring, no correspondence, no dining and discussing---he never knew I existed. I just know that when I'd scroll down and see that little table in the margin, I was going to enjoy/learn/agree/frown/absorb/covet---take your pick. I saw that he hadn't posted in several months, but thought he must be traveling and learning and taking notes for us to share.

I think I'll just imagine he still is, and that we'll hear more of his well-thought words, the flavors and atmospheres and adventures we all armchaired and savored through his writing.

My deepest condolences to his family, and to all of his eGullet friends who will miss him greatly.

I am saddened to hear of this loss.

I wrote to Bux for advice before moving to NYC this past year to pursue a career in cooking. He had posted in detail about the restaurant I was planning to work in. When I emailed him to clarify some of the points he had made, he responded promptly and at length about the restaurant, the NYC restaurant scene, the life of a professional cook, etc. I ended up working at a different restaurant, in part because of Bux's words of wisdom.

It was valuable advice, and I took it. I have not regretted that at all.

He clearly touched many lives and will be missed by all.

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of those lamenting Bux's passing. He was such an integral player in the cast playing the eGullet family. I send best wishes to his family and friends. Go with God.

My condolences and God bless to the Buxbaum family, friends, and loved ones, and also to all who were fortunate enough to know him beyond the pages of eGullet.

I regret I never got to meet Bux, but I have enjoyed his posts over the years as a mostly lurker/sometimes poster, and I managed to engage him a little and exchange some messages with him.

I guess the finest thing that can be said about a person is that he will be missed by many, including many who never even met him, and I hope his inner circle can take some comfort in that during this time of grief. He meant something to us all.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

I have never met Bux in person but heard very good things about him from his friends Pedro and Rogelio, both of whom held Bux at a very high regard not only as a dining companion but as a human being.

I have exchanged emails with him once, in early 2003. He had had a granddaughter and I inquired about his ideas and recommendations regarding how much to cater to children's follies and foibles when it comes to eating (or when children refuse to eat). Our own daughter is now almost 5 years old. At any rate, Bux wrote to me very thorough and well thought out letters, generously sharing his experience and knowledge. He seemed very proud about his daughter who (he told me) is a food book editor and his emphasis on having family dinners where all members "meet" at the table once a day proved in my eyes that he was a responsible and loving father and family man. His premature loss is shocking.

My condolences to all who have met him and esp. to his wife and daughter. It is sad that he won't be around to see and inluence his grandchild but certainly his values will continue to guide those who love him.

' Art Buchwald ' said:

" About Death and Dying

The thing that is very important, and why I'm writing this, is that whether they like it or not, everyone is going to go.

The big question we still have to ask is not where we're going, but what were we doing here in the first place? "

We at eGullet all know what Bux was doing !

projecting Love in every sentence ever written !

I had the pleasure to exchange emails with him.

Most of my writing to him were questions.

Bux always had an answer. I looked up to him.

GOD bless him

Peter

Very sad.

RIP Bux

While I did not personally know Bux, he was one of the "e-jihadists" who waged war against the NY foie gras ban and was certainly one of those instrumental in getting the proposal tabled. The full foie battle appeared on Michael Ruhlman's blog at ruhlman.com, although that particular page has since been archived. RIP, Bux - you fought the good fight . . . more than once.

This is terribly sad news and I'm so sorry to hear it. I met Bux in person twice - he was charming, articulate, delightful company and a pleasure to be around. I always enjoyed his posts and looked forward to reading any thread in which he participated.

My thoughts are with his wife and family.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I never met Bux, but I had the pleasure of working side by side with his daughter for a year--Everything I heard about him -- his love for his family, the joy he took in the culinary world and in the mentoring of others -- jumps to life in these posts. My sincerest condolences to the entire Buxbaum and Allanic family. God bless.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

I am certain the loss of a man like Bux is felt far and wide and well beyond here or the food and wine world. His articulate, timely and informative replies to seemingly any question were, are and will remain some of EG's best. I first "met" Bux when I was researching a trip to Spain years ago. His guidance was beyond measure. I have since seen him on many other boards. Although I have not posted often in my four years or so here I do lurk and have found the EG community to be one of the best on the web. Of that community Bux is a pillar. EG is what it is and attracts the kinds of people it does due to the foundations laid by people like Bux and by Bux himself. He will be missed.

To Robert's family I offer my deepest heart felt sympathies and prayers. Your loss, no matter how many share in it, is still your own. I hope you can find some comfort and relief in seeing how well Robert was liked (loved even) by so many here who never had the pleasure of a face to face meeting as well as those that did. People from all over the globe have been impacted in a positive way simply by having had the good fortune to read his thoughts on here.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I have a special place for Bux in my heart. As a new member of eGullet now over 4 years ago, Bux assisted me in navigating my way through the forum. He was a fellow traveller who supported and encouraged me to report to the forum my various culinary ventures with great honesty. He was informed and reliable in this forum. He was a special person without great ego but with great culinary wisdom. I will miss him for many reasons. I am most aware that this forum needs both older and hopefully wiser contributors; Bux was both older and wiser. I will miss him dearly. Judith Gebhart

Bux's posts are a good example of the material that really drew me into eGullet forum discussions. His posts were informed, intelligent, opinioned, passionate and generous. I already miss the loss of his voice on the forums. My condolences to his friends and family members during this difficult time.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"