• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burnt tongue. Any quick remedies?

MarkIsCooking

eGulletiers -

I've never seen a topic that someone here didn't have advice on. What are your suggestions for quick remedies for when you burn your tongue on food that was too hot??

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

The good news is that the mouth heals very quickly.

Try some ice to soothe your burnt tongue (an ice cube or some ice-cold water) and next time, blow on your food to cool it first! Hope you feel better soon.

Rachel

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

Since "they" recommend holding an ice cube to a flesh burn ASAP after the incident to reduce healing time, I'd think that the same principle would apply to the tongue.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

For almost any mouth wound or burn, I swish cool salty water around my mouth the next day or a few hours later (definitely not right after - that just stings!). It seems to help heal them a bit more quickly. And for chili burns, milk or bread - anything that will pull the oils off the surface of the toungue.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Out of curiosity and linking in with this... other than the above, does anyone have any tips for chilli burns???

Many thanks

sprinkle some salt on the back of your hand between thumb and forefinger and suck it. Don't know why but it works

ciao

Dario

• 2 years later...

Is there anything to be done for a burnt tongue (the kind in your mouth, as opposed to the cooked tongue of an animal)? Is it just a matter of time or are there ways to accelerate the healing process?

Bonus points for help with proper usage of "burnt" and "burned."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Is there anything to be done for a burnt tongue (the kind in your mouth, as opposed to the cooked tongue of an animal)? Is it just a matter of time or are there ways to accelerate the healing process?

Bonus points for help with proper usage of "burnt" and "burned."

I'm not your doctor and the doctor I ran this by was horrified BUT in my part of England my Sis is dealing with a number of people undergoing chemo and they are finding that pineapple juice does wonders for a sore mouth. I expect it would work similarly on a burned tongue. I believe burned and burnt are simply options for the past tense of the verb - like dived and dove (damn I hate dived!).

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't know about remedies... perhaps the Tylenol sore throat liquid? It helped a great deal when I had a painful mouthsore.

I believe burnt and burned are interchangable. However, common usage is:

My tongue is burnt.

I burned my tongue.

If the pineapple juice doesn't appeal then a product put out by Oral B called "Amosan" might be the ticket so long as the patient is an adult - don't forget my medical degree is from Readers' Digest. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, like any burn, application of cold as soon as it happens will lessen the severity of the burn.

There are topical anesthetics available over the counter for tooth pain (like Anbesol) but, numbing the tongue can cause odd side effects like sensations of choking, so apply with caution.

I tend to use burnt as an adjective. EG: look at that burnt waffle, what a waste!

I tend to used burned as a past-tense verb. EG: we certainly burned a lot of waffles this morning!

Well, like any burn, application of cold as soon as it happens will lessen the severity of the burn.

There are topical anesthetics available over the counter for tooth pain (like Anbesol) but, numbing the tongue can cause odd side effects like sensations of choking, so apply with caution.

I tend to use burnt as an adjective. EG: look at that burnt waffle, what a waste!

I tend to used burned as a past-tense verb. EG: we certainly burned a lot of waffles this morning!

Never forget the day I sent home a script with a guy for anbesol for a sore tooth, realized after he'd left that I'd written anusol (for hemorrhoids, not for teeth) and waited for the pharmacist to phone me back and laugh at me.

This has happened to me numerous times over the years and my first reaction is to grab a spoonful of sugar followed up by an ice cube.

Frozen berries also work but I have on occasion been known to hold a frozen chunk of carrot in my mouth following the application of granulated sugar and once, when at a street fair, stuck a lollipop in my mouth until I could find a vendor selling popsicles!

The Anbesol sounds good but I am allergic to local anesthetics and the cure would be worse than the problem.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett