• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Take out Pizza in Clifton Area

Cook456

ghostrider: sorry you got slammed; whoever slammed you was not a true Foschini's ambassador. :-P It is definitely worth at least the try.

It's not the prettiest place in the world, but it's worth bringing the kids (if you have any) for a casual dinner. It'd be worth it to have the pies fresh if you are coming from elsewhere. BYO, of course.

tommy: I've seen pies by the slice at lunch. I haven't checked for dinner mostly because whenever I order, I just call downstairs, run over, pick it up, and bring it back. I've gotten the timing down cold: I can go there just as they sprinkle on the fresh basil and close the box. :-D

They have pies in two sizes, which is higly advantageous: a twelve-inch pizza serves one with a few slices left over, and it's just a little over half the price of a sixteen-inch regular pie which they do as well. I definitely recommend getting more than one at the twelve-inch size to go for the variety. I recommend the Margherita, the FBOK special, and a couple others which elude me. There's one with plum tomatoes and red onion that really is fresh and delicious.

I would try this Brooklyn Pizza in Edgewater, but whenever I go, it's for Mitsuwa. :-( I can't pull myself away, unless it's for the Greek restaurant in City Place.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Just wondering: Has anyone else tried the pie at the place on Route 3 W, just past (or just before) Clifton Commons? We had great slices there a few years ago, less successful experience taking out. But I think they've changed hands since then. I can't remember the name, although I believe it's...Route 3 Pizza.

...formerly known as Paulie Pizza. yeah. Paulie was always good for a 3 am slice. another place that hasn't changed in forever. sadly, the pizza isn't as good. i also love how the "new" owners have never bothered to get a real sign - they still have just a banner up over the old Paulie sign.

Just wondering: Has anyone else tried the pie at the place on Route 3 W, just past (or just before) Clifton Commons? We had great slices there a few years ago, less successful experience taking out. But I think they've changed hands since then. I can't remember the name, although I believe it's...Route 3 Pizza.

...formerly known as Paulie Pizza. yeah. Paulie was always good for a 3 am slice. another place that hasn't changed in forever. sadly, the pizza isn't as good. i also love how the "new" owners have never bothered to get a real sign - they still have just a banner up over the old Paulie sign.

You're right. It just adds to its incredible charm. Sorry to hear the pizza's suffered.

My staff and I really like Antonio's/Bricks on Bellevue Ave in Upper Montclair. They're a brick oven place and their pies have a great crust. Their Saute pizza with arugula, red pepper, ricotta and garlic is great, and their plain is pretty good as well.

Casey

You're right. It just adds to its incredible charm. Sorry to hear the pizza's suffered.

Not only have they slapped up the banner, but they've also strategically painted over certain letters in "Paulie" so that the two signs atop the building now read:

P IE

PIZZA

Amusing in its way, I guess.

(Note: the Forum software collapses multiple blank spaces, so I can't move the "IE" as far to the right as it really is, but you get the idea.)

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845