• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Take out Pizza in Clifton Area

Cook456

i recall very much enjoying pizza at Paul's Bar and Bowling, on Crooks. of course, it was generally 2 am, and it's a bar pie.

if i'm not going to the Star Tavern, Kinchley's, Nellie's, or Brooklyn's, i'm making my own. i find it's always better than regular pizza places.

There are two places in Lyndhurst that I like...not sure if that's too far. Turano's on Stuyvesant or Bella Vita (slightly thicker crust--great eggplant pie) on Ridge Road (intersection of Kingsland Ave).

Not sure how well they'll travel to Clifton proper, but there's my two cents!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

if i'm not going to the Star Tavern, Kinchley's, Nellie's, or Brooklyn's, i'm making my own.  i find it's always better than regular pizza places.

Are you in the Clifton area? If so, do you have a takeout menu? :wink:

Oh yes, Clifton seems to have a brand-new Uno's...... :wacko:

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks for the suggestions.

I also found previous posts on pizza, and I went with the closest..Chris's pizza on Van Houghton.

In a word..terrible..Dry, with hardly any descernable crust..

Ghostrider..isn't it amazing how that UNO is jammed. Once again, another hit for mediocre food.

Is it really jammed? I only drive by that mall in the mornings & not much is happening at Uno's then. :laugh: Wait till they come out with the breakfast pizza tho.

I guess this illustrates so many adages that I'm getting tired of repeating them.

We have what I think is good pizza at New York Pizza on Park Ave. here in Futherford, but that's a bit of a haul from Clifton. I love the fresh mushrooms they use on their pies.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Is it really jammed?  I only drive by that mall in the mornings & not much is happening at Uno's then.  :laugh:  Wait till they come out with the breakfast pizza tho.

I guess this illustrates so many adages that I'm getting tired of repeating them.

We have what I think is good pizza at New York Pizza on Park Ave. here in Futherford, but that's a bit of a haul from Clifton.  I love the fresh mushrooms they use on their pies.

Lots of cars surrounding the Restaurant..so I'm thinking they are doing well.

Rutherford is not much of a haul, since I live on Main Ave , about a half mile from Costco. Just over the bridge and down Union Ave.

My family used to live in Rutherford and I do remember getting pies from there. It's been a while, but I will definitely try them next time. Thanks for reminding me.

We like Mr. Bruno's in Lyndhurst for their square pie. Their regular pie ain't bad either, but their square pie is really good. They make decent red sauce italian fare as well. They were closed for renovations of the strip mall they are in, and reopened with waiting lines out the door. Crazy. They are in the mall with TJ Max.

If you don't consider Little Falls too far -- Sun Ray Pizza (formally of Paterson by abaout 22 years) has an outstanding Sicilian pie, - 440 Main St (973) 256-0304

(Rt. 46 W to 23 south to traffic light, left at light onto Main St -- Sun Ray is at the rail road track -- ) a large pie fills two boxes -- crust is yeasty -- really outstanding!

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Curlz left out the best pizza in Lyndhurst and the only one worth the drive- Jojo's. They're on Ridge Road, just near the North Arlington border. For a traditional pie (not Italian-style like Foschini's) Jojo's can't be beat.

Probably not worth the drive, but I don't know if Clifton pizza merits such a trip. :-P

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Curlz left out the best pizza in Lyndhurst and the only one worth the drive- Jojo's.  They're on Ridge Road, just near the North Arlington border.  For a traditional pie (not Italian-style like Foschini's) Jojo's can't be beat.

Probably not worth the drive, but I don't know if Clifton pizza merits such a trip.  :-P

MJP,

Funny you should mention Jo-Jo. I was the person who suggested it to Curlz, a while ago.

When I was a kid, I spent summers in Staten Island, and there was a Bar/pizzeria around the corner from us. My Aunt's friend made the pizza, there, so we would go to the back door and get a free pie... :-)

There was a certain smell to the place, that I remember it to this day, and one day I walked into Jo Jos and there it was.. that same smell, and it's the ONLY place that smells like it.. The pizza at JoJo's is excellent..

This time it was too far to go, but I will certainly head back there.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Nutley you can try Micheal's on Kingsland ave right across from Hoffman La Roche. Pretty good pie imo.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I of course have to recommend Foschini's. If you park around back, yell up towards the deck. That's where I live, above the best Italian-style pizzeria in Jersey. :-D

Definitely try the FBOK Special... pesto, smoked mozzarella, grilled chicken, and fresh tomatoes. A really nice change of pace.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I of course have to recommend Foschini's.  If you park around back, yell up towards the deck.  That's where I live, above the best Italian-style pizzeria in Jersey.  :-D 

Definitely try the FBOK Special... pesto, smoked mozzarella, grilled chicken, and fresh tomatoes.  A really nice change of pace.

What exactly do you mean by "Italian style" ?

Very thin crust, wood-fired brick oven, authentic ingredients, etc. They're not the doughy Italian-American style pizzas that a lot of other places do. I know there's a couple of places in NYC that do a traditional Italian pizza, but Foschini's is the only one in Jersey that does it that I know of.

They're the place to go for a Margherita pizza.

I live in the Clifton-Nutley area and grew up in Nutley. This may show my age but I remember walking to Bradlees and having pizza at Scottos and thinking it was the best. I think it is still there. Don't think the pizza is grand, though.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

how bout good old Mario's on Van Houten? to be honest -- they can be hit or miss -- but when they're on, they're good -- way good compared to most places in the area. just avoid takeout on weekend nights when the place is packed.

the decor is totally classic, btw. straight outta 1972.

Very thin crust, wood-fired brick oven, authentic ingredients, etc.  They're not the doughy Italian-American style pizzas that a lot of other places do.  I know there's a couple of places in NYC that do a traditional Italian pizza, but Foschini's is the only one in Jersey that does it that I know of.

Brooklyn's pizza in Edgewater, Hackensack, and Ridgewood do it as well (although one could argue that this still is more "brooklyn" that "italian". when i think "italian", i think Neapolitan-style, although there are many approaches to pizza in Italy). I'm looking forward to trying Foschini's take on it. coal-burning ovens are few and far between, and almost always a very good thing.

it might be important to note that this type of pizza doesn't fare well when taken out. it cooks so quickly and is usually thin, so it doesn't hold up well over the time it takes to get home. but it's still better than most other pizza. have a pizza stone hot and ready to go, and plop some slices on it when you get home.

Very thin crust, wood-fired brick oven, authentic ingredients, etc.  They're not the doughy Italian-American style pizzas that a lot of other places do.  I know there's a couple of places in NYC that do a traditional Italian pizza, but Foschini's is the only one in Jersey that does it that I know of.

Interesting. I'd asked about Foschini's a couple of years ago in another thread & it got slammed so I've avoided the place. I'm always willing to take a new opinion, particulary when it's backed by this kind of detail. We'll have to give them a try.

I've always liked the pizza at Van Houten Lanes (on Van Houten, naturally), but have never had it to go. Just wondering: Has anyone else tried the pie at the place on Route 3 W, just past (or just before) Clifton Commons? We had great slices there a few years ago, less successful experience taking out. But I think they've changed hands since then. I can't remember the name, although I believe it's...Route 3 Pizza.

MJP, do they serve slice? or just whole pies. If it's just whole pies, are they small, like 12 inches?

I have had pies from Brooklyn Pizza and Foschini's. They are comparable, but something about the Brooklyn pie is better in my opinion. However, no waits at Foschini's. When given the choice, we always get the square pie from Mr. Bruno's....but of course totally different style. Foschinis is decent enough though, and worthwhile. We like JoJo's as well...exactly as described, big, cheesy and good. Tommy is right about take out of the thin pies...something gets lost if not eaten very quickly.