• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Souperman - Now open in downtown Kansas City

moosnsqrl

Not crumudgeonly at all - I think I would be happy to leave the aioli out. The blue cheese, however, I did enjoy with the "'cue" - but I'm the type that love blue cheese in and on everything... *drifting off to daydreaming about the wonderful gorgonzola gelato I had....*

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've made it myself and I do have the recipe - PM me if you want it.  It is labor and time intensive but, as it's the only option these days, I will do it again.

DeFazio's, which I've heard originally opened as an Angelo's way back when (but you'd know more about this than I would) still has marinated eggplant on their salads. :smile:

I've made it myself and I do have the recipe - PM me if you want it.  It is labor and time intensive but, as it's the only option these days, I will do it again.

DeFazio's, which I've heard originally opened as an Angelo's way back when (but you'd know more about this than I would) still has marinated eggplant on their salads. :smile:

OK, so the offer to meet in Emporia is still on for any/all takers :biggrin:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

They put too much into the hype. I had the short rib soup or should I short rib stew? Pretty stingy boiled the hell out of it. A lot of packaging for very little. The soup spoons really are a Joke. Oh wow I got a napkin and a refrigerator magnet. I don't really want to get started on the Sanditto's........lmfao!!

They put too much into the hype. I had the short rib soup or should I short rib stew? Pretty stingy boiled the hell out of it. A lot of packaging for very little. The soup spoons really are a Joke. Oh wow I got a napkin and a refrigerator magnet. I don't really want to get started on the Sanditto's........lmfao!!

Wow it sounds like as if you went into a 4 star restaurant recieving plagued courses such as over cooked duck, raw lamb, no flatware or knives to cut into the raw piece of meat. Then actually paying one of those 20% mandatory tips. Good thing your bad experience didn't have you "fork" over more than $8 -$10.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Wow it sounds like as if you went into a 4 star restaurant recieving plagued courses such as over cooked duck, raw lamb, no flatware or knives to cut into the raw piece of meat. Then actually paying one of those 20% mandatory tips. Good thing your bad experience didn't have you "fork" over more than $8 -$10.

Been there done that! Never again am I going to Chicago to dine. I'll stick to Overland Park, KS.

• 1 month later...

Made a trip to Souperman for lunch a couple weeks back. If I worked in the Crossroads, I'd return; I probably won't make a special trip from NE JoCo.

Initially we'd planned to lunch at 1924 Main, but when it was closed due to a burst pipe, we went to Souperman instead.

I got the roast pork "sanditto" (I really hate that word), and a cup of poblano corn chowder. My wife had the brisket and blue cheese and the ham and white bean soup.

We both got the small orders; I can't imagine how big the large must be. These are no chintzy portions.

I thought the food was fine. With my sanditto Cubano, as it were, I really just wished it were a regular cubano. I can see the tortilla advantage from a convenience standpoint, a pre-prep standpoint, a marketing gimmick standpoint, but I'd much prefer really good bread. Tortilla wraps, to me, have too many bites with too much tortilla, and it’s hard to balance the flavors. Brisket sandwich was decent too, though more unbalanced than the pork, with cheese and mayo dominating one side. Also, the beef was kind of stringy--not in a "bad beef" way, but in a way that made the sandwich a little difficult to eat.

Soups were both fine, but very salty. Sandwiches were salty too, actually. Also, they were too chunky for my taste...they sort of struck me as a really good canned soup. I was hoping for something a little more refined.

All in all, I like the idea behind this place. It didn't execute quite as well as I'd have hoped. The marketing conceit plays to the sympathies of people who post on boards like this. I like the super-hero/fast food fighter motif; I'm very glad to see a nice, local, non-chain alternative pop up.

And yet (I really feel guilty saying this), I felt like the big portion, pre-prepared, oversalted aspects of the meal are some of the same things I dislike about the chains. I can imagine Rob Dalzell hearing this and really getting pissed. I understand there’s still a great (and important) difference between a local joint like Souperman and a behemoth like Chipotle. Still, it was very easy for me to stand in Souperman and imagine 5 or 10 around town, and the next town and the next town. And you know, Chipotle has its place. On its own merits (anti-chain bias aside) Souperman didn’t do all that much to distinguish itself.

I’m curious to hear if others have at all the same feeling.

We tried Souperman again. Again, it is just way over the top in the sodium department. I simply do not understand what that is all about. Far, far too much salt. It cancels out most of the other flavors. Is it the fast food syndrome that enables diners to accept that much salt in food these days? We had to drink quarts of water after our lunch.

• 1 year later...

I hadn't been to Souperman in months and just ran down there to grab working lunch for a few colleagues. I really tried to get something different this time but we were on the late side and my first choice was sold out so I went with my old standby bbq brisket w/bleu cheese & carmelized onions and it was the best one ever. They've perfected the balance of flavors - or, I should say, attuned them to my personal taste. The sanditto (there, I "said" it) was so good I finished it and saved the soup for dinner.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I hadn't been to Souperman in months and just ran down there to grab working lunch for a few colleagues.  I really tried to get something different this time but we were on the late side and my first choice was sold out so I went with my old standby bbq brisket w/bleu cheese & carmelized onions and it was the best one ever.  They've perfected the balance of flavors - or, I should say, attuned them to my personal taste.  The sanditto (there, I "said" it) was so good I finished it and saved the soup for dinner.

I heard somewhere, can't vouch for certain, that Yummo sells Souperman soups during the winter.

I hadn't been to Souperman in months and just ran down there to grab working lunch for a few colleagues.  I really tried to get something different this time but we were on the late side and my first choice was sold out so I went with my old standby bbq brisket w/bleu cheese & carmelized onions and it was the best one ever.  They've perfected the balance of flavors - or, I should say, attuned them to my personal taste.  The sanditto (there, I "said" it) was so good I finished it and saved the soup for dinner.

I heard somewhere, can't vouch for certain, that Yummo sells Souperman soups during the winter.

Makes sense to me, since they're part of the Dalzell family. And good news because that's more walk-able for me (when the temp gets above 0).

M.F.K. Fisher