• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Souperman - Now open in downtown Kansas City

moosnsqrl

Souperman, the long-awaited casual project from Rob Dalzell (1924) opened this week.

The menu featured five soups, two salads (mixed and Caesar) and five "sandittos" (essentially a "wrap" heated on a pannini griddle). There is a combo (8 oz soup and a half-sanditto) for $6.99 and a souper [sic] combo (16 oz soup and a half-sanditto) for $7.99.

I enjoyed the Thai coconut chicken soup with rice noodles and a brisket/blue cheese/carmelized onion sanditto.

Other soup selections (on Wednesday, anyway) were black bean/chorizo, smoked tomato, and Boulevard (beer) cheese chowder and curried pumpkin/apple bisque.

Other sanditto combos were (IIRC): roast pork/ham/pickles/swiss, roast beef/swiss/grilled red onion, portobello/roasted pepper/goat chees, chipotle chicken salad/tomato/pepperjack/romaine.

They seemed already to be doing a brisk carryout business and they wisely planned their serving pieces accordingly - the soups are served in paper coffee cups w/well-fitting lids, the sandittos are wrapped securely in a foil/paper composite and those, together with a utensil/s&p/napkin packet, oyster crackers and saltines, are handed to you in a "four pack" with a handle, the receipt stapled to it (a great convenience for anyone schlepping lunch back to co-workers).

Edited for typo.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

First, if you go to that link and check online menus it still shows only the original 5 soups - click on "order online" to see the complete list.

Second, I lied. The combo is $6.99, the souper combo is $8.99.

Lastly, white bean and andouille sounds pretty good to me.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

You're quick, moosnsqrl! Yes, not all the soups are listed on the actual "menu" link. They'll soon be doing delivery - Souperman door-side - faster than a speeding bullet????

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Well, that sounds scrumptious. I think I'll move to Kansas City...no wait, I think I'll send the link to my brother, have him check it out for me, and then decide whether to move or not.

Maybe they'll just franchise to Wichita -- we need a decent cup of soup down here, since Tanya's Soup Kitchen closed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I recommend the Boulevard Cheddar Chowder... wish I could get some more! :hmmm:

I guess Coors Cheddar Chowder just wouldn't be the same. :sad:

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, that sounds scrumptious. I think I'll move to Kansas City...no wait, I think I'll send the link to my brother, have him check it out for me, and then decide whether to move or not.

Maybe they'll just franchise to Wichita -- we need a decent cup of soup down here, since Tanya's Soup Kitchen closed.

Not sure if it's worth relocating for (although the cumulative affect of it and several million other things certainly would be :laugh:)! If Angelo's hadn't closed I would offer to meet you in Emporia and swap marinated eggplant for soup.

Bummer about Tanya's. Larkspur and the French bakery on Douglas (near Seneca) had pretty good soup once upon a time IIRC.

M.F.K. Fisher

Two of us ate at Souperman today. It's a great concept. Service was fast, efficient and friendly. We each had the small soup and sanditto combo, $6.99. With one soft drink and one bottled water the total was $20.30. It was hard to make a decision since all the soups and sandittos sounded wonderful. We ate at one of the counters with high stools and were very comfortable.

One combo we chose was Curried Pumpkin Soup with a Portobella and Goat Cheese Sanditto. The sanditto is a large flour tortilla wrap, already filled, so if you don't like a particular ingredient, you're out of luck. All the sandwiches sounded great to me! The other combo we ordered included Smoked Tomato Soup and BBQ Brisket with Bleu Cheese and Caramelized Onions. We liked the paper boxes and cups very much. It makes it easy to transport.

The sandittos were very tasty, but the fillings weren't hot at all. That didn't bother us, they were delicious! The Smoked Tomato Soup could have been less thick. It had the texture of thick canned tomato sauce. That's just a personal preference. The Curried Pumpkin Soup had an excellent silky feel, but both soups were extremely salty. I love salt and love to cook with salt, but these soups were way over the top in the sodium department. We heard 2 other diners voicing the same opinion. That won't stop is from going back. It was a charming place with a varied selection and great, fast service. We're hoping the soups we happened to choose were over salted just for today.

I went the other day.  It was very good.  Fast and fresh.

I had the Roast Pork and the Thai Curry Soup.

You and I are on the same wave-length. Ditto to both. I was *shocked* by how much I loved the pickles in the sanditto - normally, I hate pickles in my food.

I only got a small bite of my companion's BBQ Brisket and Blue. The meat was moist and the sauce was not the dreadfully sweet BBQ sauce that I hate - rather a more natural and vinegary sauce. I wished there was more blue cheese, though.

I also enjoyed part a roast beef sanditto. I think the name is misleading. The meat inside wasn't what I consider to be roast beef (bloody and thick). It was more like cheese-steak meat - thinly sliced and cooked thoroughly. Slightly tough, but wonderful with silky strands of sauteed onions and "gooey" (:wink:) Swiss cheese.

Thai curry soup was very nice - especially enjoyed the heat kick at the end - it was the favorite of the three I tried.

I'll agree with JWest that the Boulevard Cheddar Potato Chowder isn't bad either. I wished it were just a tad more thick and cheesy.

I really disliked the smoked tomato bisque. Tasted like pizza sauce (which is what I went home and used it for) - and had the consistancy of marinara sauce. It had a distinct bell pepper taste to it, but was lacking any hint of "smoke."

Next time, I'll have to try the Morroccan lLamb Soup, the Curry Pumpkin Apple Bisque and the French Onion Shortribs...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I only got a small bite of my companion's BBQ Brisket and Blue.  The meat was moist and the sauce was not the dreadfully sweet BBQ sauce that I hate - rather a more natural and vinegary sauce.  I wished there was more blue cheese, though.

I really disliked the smoked tomato bisque.  Tasted like pizza sauce (which is what I went home and used it for) - and had the consistancy of marinara sauce.  It had a distinct bell pepper taste to it, but was lacking any hint of "smoke."

Next time, I'll have to try the Morroccan lLamb Soup, the Curry Pumpkin Apple Bisque and the French Onion Shortribs...

We were posting at the same time. Yes, the smoked tomato bisque was more like a pizza sauce!

I detected some smoke in my serving, but it was overpowered by salt.

I'm going to try the Moroccan Lamb Soup next time. And the Thai Chicken Curry. That one seemed to be what every 2 diners were ordering.

The sanditto is a large flour tortilla wrap, already filled, so if you don't like a particular ingredient, you're out of luck.

I noticed on my visit that they were making the sandwiches (I really can't bring myself to call them "dittos" any longer :wacko:) in advance and wondered if a special request would be honored. My guess is that it would but I didn't put it to the test. I can see that it would trip-up their production line if they varied from the standard but it seems if you called ahead they could omit/substitute ingredients. Maybe they'll adopt the Starwich model of online ordering, better yet.

M.F.K. Fisher

The sanditto is a large flour tortilla wrap, already filled, so if you don't like a particular ingredient, you're out of luck.

Ob-JEC-tion!

That's...just plain stupid, and what I consider to be a bad business practice. It really bugs me in two ways:

1. It indicates that those with allergies or extreme distaste for certain foods aren't able to control what goes into the sanditto, and

2. It's not exactly a "fresh" sanditto if they're premade, wrapped, etc.

I mean, for crying out loud, why would it be such a bad thing to be able to skip the cheese on the wrap if I so desired? I guess I'm just dumbfounded by such an idea, and it would really, *really* rub me the wrong way, in a "You don't like the way we do things? Tough! You know where the door is!" kind of way. I'd certainly let my wallet do the voting for me.

I think it's more a case of the Souperman folks trying to be as fast and efficient as possible. Pre- assembled sandwiches of certain kinds, to be finished off at the time of ordering isn't uncommon at all, especially in very busy places. There didn't seem to be any attitude involved at all. The "you're out of luck" comment was entirely my own. I would imagine that if you called ahead, you could get an ingredient deleted. Because they are a very new operation, I would suspect that in time they'll work out ways to be fast, efficient and more accomodating to special orders.

I'll tell what did (and always does) turn me off: those side salads were pre-made and refrigerated in see-through to-go boxes by the checkout in a stand-alone refrigerator with drinks. Everytime I see salads like that, I think - airport. And, those tiny boxes of greens were, IMO, way over-priced ($3.50).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Ob-JEC-tion!

That's...just plain stupid, and what I consider to be a bad business practice. It really bugs me in two ways:

1. It indicates that those with allergies or extreme distaste for certain foods aren't able to control what goes into the sanditto, and

2. It's not exactly a "fresh" sanditto if they're premade, wrapped, etc.

I mean, for crying out loud, why would it be such a bad thing to be able to skip the cheese on the wrap if I so desired? I guess I'm just dumbfounded by such an idea, and it would really, *really* rub me the wrong way, in a "You don't like the way we do things? Tough! You know where the door is!" kind of way. I'd certainly let my wallet do the voting for me.

The sandittos need time to rest and allow flavors to develop inside the hot pocket of deliciousness. Otherwise, you lose the integrity of the sanditto.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I'll tell what did (and always does) turn me off: those side salads were pre-made and refrigerated in see-through to-go boxes by the checkout in a stand-alone refrigerator with drinks.  Everytime I see salads like that, I think - airport.  And, those tiny boxes of greens were, IMO, way over-priced ($3.50).

I couldn't remember from my last visit...were they pre dressed as well? and what vinaigrettes are they offering?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I'll tell what did (and always does) turn me off: those side salads were pre-made and refrigerated in see-through to-go boxes by the checkout in a stand-alone refrigerator with drinks.  Everytime I see salads like that, I think - airport.  And, those tiny boxes of greens were, IMO, way over-priced ($3.50).

I couldn't remember from my last visit...were they pre dressed as well? and what vinaigrettes are they offering?

Because I *lurve* me salads, I scrutinize them to no end...

1. No, they are no pre-dressed, the dressing (Caesar or the vinaigrette) comes in a little capped-cup that's inside the to-go box.

2. re: vinaigrettes. No clue.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Otherwise, you lose the integrity of the sanditto.

How can you use the words "sanditto" and "integrity" in the same sentence? I hope you had your fingers crossed when you typed it. :laugh:

But, kidding aside, I think you're right. I think (within reason) they continue to improve the longer they are allowed to meld and for that reason I don't mind the pre-madeness (?). Many pannini places in Italy have them pre-made and wrapped in wax paper and they just grill them as they're ordered, so I think it's a common practice.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on special orders - I tried to call but they're gone for today.

ETA emoticon so everyone will know I'm kidding!!

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

Because I really love you all. Pictures from my recent soup and "sanditto" (like moosnsqrl, I just can't type that word without the quotes) run to Souperman.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Not sure if it's worth relocating for (although the cumulative affect of it and several million other things certainly would be :laugh:)! If Angelo's hadn't closed I would offer to meet you in Emporia and swap marinated eggplant for soup.

Bummer about Tanya's. Larkspur and the French bakery on Douglas (near Seneca) had pretty good soup once upon a time IIRC.

Not to stray off-topic...

The Wichita paper used to run the recipe for marinated eggplant about once a year, but it was rather labor-intensive, and they finally announced "This is the last time", and I lost it...before I had a chance to try making it.

And I've lived just blocks from La Gallette (the bakery at Douglas and Seneca), but I've never been in there. It never looks open when I drive by. Guess I should try, if its got good soup.

and those pics look really yummy, u/e.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Not to stray off-topic...

The Wichita paper used to run the recipe for marinated eggplant about once a year, but it was rather labor-intensive, and they finally announced "This is the last time", and I lost it...before I had a chance to try making it.

And I've lived just blocks from La Gallette (the bakery at Douglas and Seneca), but I've never been in there. It never looks open when I drive by. Guess I should try, if its got good soup.

and those pics look really yummy, u/e.

I've made it myself and I do have the recipe - PM me if you want it. It is labor and time intensive but, as it's the only option these days, I will do it again.

M.F.K. Fisher

Because I really love you all.  Pictures from my recent soup and "sanditto" (like moosnsqrl, I just can't type that word without the quotes) run to Souperman.

The "sanditto" looks "interesting". I'm generally not a fan of cheese with 'Cue. But blue cheese, and aioli mayo stuff with 'Cue just doesn't sound right at all. Maybe I'm just too curmudgeonly.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.