• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISI Thermo Whip

ravelda

Yes, you do need twice as many cartridges to operate the quart size as you do for the pint size. Some recipes require you to charge with 2 cartridges in the pint size and 4 in the quart size, but this is usually stated in the recipe. (If the recipe doesn't explicitly state the size it was designed for, you can usually infer from the size of the batch and scale accordingly.)

The other question you need to ask yourself is what your intended application is. I'm a home user with a pint-size ThermoWhip, and I've never managed to exhaust the entire supply of any foam in one evening. I can't imagine how long a quart-size batch of any foam base would last me. If you're serving several dozen covers in a night, the quart size makes sense, but if not, you're going to end up eating or serving a lot of the same foam over a relatively short period of time. It might make sense in a restaurant setting, but can get tiresome at home.

Speaking of which, would you like some of the tangerine foam I've got kicking around in my fridge from New Year's Eve?  :hmmm:

Tangerine foam for me?!?! Yes, please and thank you! And, point taken! What a way to be a perfect gentleman and make me see sense at once!

I am a personal chef and I do all kinds of events, tho most are small-ish dinner parties. From your account it seems clear that for my usage (even if we're talking about a moderately-sized cocktail parties) a pint sized unit will more than satisfy my needs.

eGullet rocks! The marginally more expensive cost was leaning me toward the quart size, but this place is the perfect reality check.

Thanks, Matthew, just slide that foam in an envelope and send it over to Canada. I'm sure it'll arrive in a gorgeous state!

I originally purchased a quart size Liss whipper off the internet and was then able to get the pint and half pint size bottles plus an extra head, cleaning brush, and tulip tip directly from Liss America. I experiment with the half pint and not waste too many canisters of gas. I can say - great service from Liss! The units are all stainless steel (no plastic head or tips here) and at a fraction of the price of an ISI. I get the cartridges as a local restaurant supply.

• 2 years later...

I just got one of these for a dinner I'm doing soon and had a question. I know the non-insulated ISI whips can be kept warm in a bain marie. The thermo-whip manual states not to keep the unit in a bain marie, presumably because the insulation will keep the mixture warm.

Say I make a foam that I want to serve hot ahead of time, how do I reheat it for service? Same question for if I make something, but have left overs I don't want to toss. Can I make the mixture hot, as I normally would, let it cool and refrigerate over night then rewarm carefully in a bain marie? The manual says no, but I don't see why not. Pressure shouldn't be an issue because it was made warm and rewarmed back to the original temperature, although it might take longer considering the insulation.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory