• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods stops carrying Eberly poultry!

dagordon

Stan, thanks for the stories. It is fascinating to learn more about chicken farming.

On a different note, but relevant to the thread (I hope), does anyone know anything about the Friendly Farm chickens available through Philadelphia Winter Harvest? I have one coming in a delivery next week, and I'm hoping it is good.

Stan, thanks for the stories.  It is fascinating to learn more about  chicken farming.

On a different note, but relevant to the thread (I hope), does anyone know anything about the Friendly Farm chickens available through Philadelphia Winter Harvest?  I have one coming in a delivery next week, and I'm hoping it is good.

Their online information seems a little slim. Since I'm now somewhat invested into your areas poulty evaluation I'd appreciate an update.

Dag,

It looks like the chicken that I’d like you to taste are not going to be available until late spring. It’s almost gone underground. They only seem to do well, as outside birds thus none are available in the winter. The avian flu concerns may make them really scarce commercially.

Outdoor raised birds are harder to get here than pot. Ten miles from us is a Farmers’ Market that advertises pot plants and clones in the newspaper. My passion is to grow the best tasting chicken we can. It may not make it off our farm due to economics, but it is still a passion.

What seems to make great meat bird is their passion for chow. They are like tuna that eat everything in their sight. If the avian flu issues continue we may have to find a down and out veterinarian who will give marijuana medial recommendations to our flock. Do you think people will buy “Munchie Birds”, birds who eat like monsters, fed brownies and then super corn and milk laced curds to finish them off?

I’m not sure if you guys have seen the Foster’s Farm commercials on TV in your area. They have a couple of chickens driving around with pizza, donut boxes, and the rest of the vehicle filled with sundry junk food containers. Well, the guy who came up with that must have spent some time with meat birds.

If the avian flu issues continue we may have to find a down and out veterinarian who will give marijuana medial recommendations to our flock. Do you think people will buy “Munchie Birds”, birds who eat like monsters, fed brownies and then super corn and milk laced curds to finish them off?

you know it! i hear they're great roasted in a cheeto crust.

let us pause to remember the classic movie half baked:

Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and.... Funyuns.

hahaha weed birds. sign me up for one... no, THREE, man!

Ha, well, please remember us in late spring, I have a feeling that a bunch of us would be interested in trying the chickens you've been describing, munchie-fed or otherwise. Then we can start spreading the word...

Dag,

It looks like the chicken that I’d like you to taste are not going to be available until late spring.  It’s almost gone underground.  They only seem to do well, as outside birds thus none are available in the winter.  The avian flu concerns may make them really scarce commercially. 

Outdoor raised birds are harder to get here than pot.  Ten miles from us is a Farmers’ Market that advertises pot plants and clones in the newspaper.  My passion is to grow the best tasting chicken we can.  It may not make it off our farm due to economics, but it is still a passion. 

What seems to make great meat bird is their passion for chow.  They are like tuna that eat everything in their sight.  If the avian flu issues continue we may have to find a down and out veterinarian who will give marijuana medial recommendations to our flock. Do you think people will buy “Munchie Birds”, birds who eat like monsters, fed brownies and then super corn and milk laced curds to finish them off?

I’m not sure if you guys have seen the Foster’s Farm commercials on TV in your area.  They have a couple of chickens driving around with pizza, donut boxes, and the rest of the vehicle filled with sundry junk food containers.  Well, the guy who came up with that must have spent some time with meat birds.

Eberly poulty spotted at North Wales Whole Foods yesterday. A generous supply said it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I purchased a fryer to make chicken under a brick. I wish I had a camera when the clerk at Home Depot learned why I was purchasing bricks. They were $.41 each by the way - the bricks, chicken $3.99/LB.

I have noticed prices being lowered in WFM as they said they would be doing a few months ago. A Robert Rothschild Farm product of roasted pineapple habanero dip was $8.19 when I bought it a few weeks ago, $6.49 the other day. No sale sign or discontinue sign on the shelf. I did notice some discontinue signs which I appreciated. You can choose to stock up on something before it goes by the wayside, and you'll know why it's not on the shelf next time you look for it.

The North Wales location is smaller than most. However, they have the highest concentration of helpful staff of other Whole Foods I've been in. The one I frequent in DC when I visit my brother in law is so crowded all the time you can't browse anything on the shelf. I now travel groceries in hand or get in get out fast.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

There are no signs announcing this, but Eberly is one of the two chicken producers Giunta's Prime Shop buys from, the other being Bell & Evans, which is identified. If you ask Joe or his staff, they can tell you which chickens/hens/chicken parts they have come from Eberly.

On Super Bowl Sunday, I got a really good price on wings from Eberly there: Five pounds for $9.50.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The North Wales location is smaller than most. However, they have the highest concentration of helpful staff of other Whole Foods I've been in. The one I frequent in DC when I visit my brother in law is so crowded all the time you can't browse anything on the shelf. I now travel groceries in hand or get in get out fast.

929 South Street is often busy but never feels crowded. Can't vouch for the helpfulness of the staff, though the cheese counter people have been helpful enough when I've asked them questions.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3