• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Ray chocolates

Aria

My uncle just got back from Venezuela with a bunch of El Ray chocolates for his wife...she's a great baker. Well, I freaked as a chocolatier and told him how sought after they are ( right? ). Anyway, he said he could easily be a distributor of them in Canada but hasn't a clue about what the market would be like? Well, just a question to all the Canadians out there, is there an El Ray distributor in Canada (T.O. specifically )? and if there isn't is there a market? Take care,

You can get El Rey in the states from many different places.....Canada is a different story...There is a big hole in the market(in my opinion) when it comes to chocolate. I own www.chocolateguild.com and we work hand and hand with Chocosphere.com to send people to buy chocolate....Now I started getting lots of Canadians on my site so I was trying to find a distributor in Canada to send them to but there just plain isn't one...

There are a few places here and there that carry 3 kinds of chocolate or ones that only have a shop and they are not internet based....I think if someone opened an internet based business in Canada to distribute all the fine chocolates of the world I think they would have success because there is nothing in place like that as of now...

There's my 2 cents...

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Yep...same one...they do not "De-Odorize" the cocoa butter that goes into their white chocolate like most chocolate makers do. So some of the smell and flavor stays with the cocoa butter and it adds that flavor to the chocolate...

Great white chocolate to buy...the best in my opinion...by far.

Did you get to try some?

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Edited by aguynamedrobert (log)

Hey Gfron1,

I was just checking out your stores website...looks very nice. I love stores like that.  How many different types of chocolate do you carry?

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Depends on the time of year. During the holidays we'll carry up to 100 different chocolates (everything from Ritter bars to Cluizel, Domori, etc.). Post holidays - I shoot for around 40. And I carry primarily Sharffen Berger and El Rey for my bulk. The latter being my preference, the former what the crowd demands.

Yeah Scharffen Berger is getting more and more popular. I think they are good brand and make some really good chocolate but what really gets them going is all their advertising. Once Hershey's bought them about a year ago they have put a lot of money into Public Relations and Advertising...I think they are a very high quality brand but I still enjoy El Rey and think they have the better chocolate.

Robert

Chocolate Forum

To get El Rey in Canada talk to Qzina www.qzina.com Also, you can order from the Texas office and have it sent to you. There is a guy in Vancouver who I buy from when I am desparate for some El Rey. I live in alberta. If you go to the states very often then have your order sent to an American friend and pick it up on your next visit because they ship for free on orders over a certain amount within the US.

Hello Prairiegirl,

Are you planning on making a store front that sells all different chocolate bars around the world or do an internet based company that does that? or both? I would like to hear more about what you are doing and what your plans are...

Robert

Chocolate Forum

• 2 weeks later...
Yep...same one...they do not "De-Odorize" the cocoa butter that goes into their white chocolate like most chocolate makers do. So some of the smell and flavor stays with the cocoa butter and it adds that flavor to the chocolate...

Great white chocolate to buy...the best in my opinion...by far.

Did you get to try some?

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I have to disagree. I think that the flavor, aroma, and tempering qualities are well below that of Valrhona Ivorie. BTW, hello I'm new here

:blink:

Do you only dislike their white chocolate or their whole line? I am a big fan of their white chocolate becuase of the aroma and flavor that is there and not in other white chocolates. It carries over some of that chocolate aroma and flavor and adds it to the white chocolate.

Do you like their dark chocolates in their line? I like thier chocolates because the flavor reminds me of actually being in the rain forest...I think their chocolate represents a closer earthy flavor than most manufacturers achieve....

Now of course sometimes these flavors are not liked by others, especially when they are so different from other chocolates in the fine chocolate market...

Let us know more of why you don't like El Rey or certain things you like about it...by the way...Welcome!

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I had the same feeling about El Rey chocolate , the first time I tried it.It was the Apamate I believe and I still love it .I think it might be rougher around the edge compared to some european chocolate , and maybe thats why I love it so much.so earthy , thats the right word.

But ofcourse is only a matter of taste and personal liking.

Vanessa

Do you only dislike their white chocolate or their whole line? I am a big fan of their white chocolate becuase of the aroma and flavor that is there and not in other white chocolates.  It carries over some of that chocolate aroma and flavor and adds it to the white chocolate.

Do you like their dark chocolates in their line? I like thier chocolates because the flavor reminds me of actually being in the rain forest...I think their chocolate represents a closer earthy flavor than most manufacturers achieve....

Now of course sometimes these flavors are not liked by others, especially when they are so different from other chocolates in the fine chocolate market...

Let us know more of why you don't like El Rey or certain things you like about it...by the way...Welcome!

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I like the rest of the chocolates from El Rey. I have been using them for the past 8 years and have enjoyed the additions to the line over the years. I even was able to get one of my purveyors to be the local rep and sales have been great for them. It's important to know which ones to use for the correct application. I was sent sample box a few months ago and the literature that the enclosed made me realise why I was having a difficult time with melting some of the dark chocolates. My overall feeling is that ER is best for the flavor qualities and not some much for the tempering aeshetics (except the milk chocolate, which is great). I'm so glad I found this community of pastry and chocolate nuts. Anybody else here from San Diego?

I actually lived in san diego six months ago while working down there...What part are you from? And where are you working? Do you do your own chocolate work?

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I'm from Imperial Beach

Switching from Addison to Jack's Lajolla next week

Have worked at 910 in LaJolla, Region in Hillcrest, Montage in Laguna Beach

Yes, I do my own chocolate work.