• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best places to buy fruits and vegetables in Abq

I visit a good friend in Albuquerque from time to time and like to cook when I'm there.

I'm not so excited by the produce at his local supermarket in the Northeast Heights (I think it's an Albertsons?). The produce is not worse than a regular supermarket in northern Ca, persay, but that is not saying much.

When the season comes, I have gone to some farmer's markets which are nice but that is only for part of the year and naturally only for some produce that is grown locally.

I've popped into a Natural food market in Nob's Hill (forgot the name) but not too impressed on my admittedly one visit by the selection, price or quality.

There is a Whole Foods in the NE Heights, but I wonder if there are any other less pricey and less precious options in Albuquerque? Suggestions from ethnic markets with good produce are also welcome.

Where do you shop to get good value, selection and quality for produce in Albuquerque?

(Here in the SF Bay area I do shop at farmer's markets often. With the difference in climate that does of course present more flexibility in terms of variety and duration. But I also have several places that are non-chain markets that carry great produce. I also go to Asian and Latino markets for some things.)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Fresh Herbs, Inc on Copper just East of Juan Tabo. Nearly invisible "storefront", but good produce and cheap prices. They supply many restaurants in town.

Also, Talin Market on Lousiana & Central.

Andrea

http://andrealin.vox.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I visit a good friend in Albuquerque from time to time and like to cook when I'm there.

When the season comes, I have gone to some farmer's markets which are nice but that is only for part of the year and naturally only for some produce that is grown locally.

Where do you shop to get good value, selection and quality for produce in Albuquerque? 

(Here in the SF Bay area I do shop at farmer's markets often.  With the difference in climate that does of course present more flexibility in terms of variety and duration.  But I also have several places that are non-chain markets that carry great produce.  I also go to Asian and Latino markets for some things.)

I just moved here last year from the SF bay area, so I know of what you speak. It has been culture shock for me, in many respects.

That being said, I go at least once a week to a market over on the West side of town, called SunFlower Market. It has a fairly decent selection of produce much of the time, and the prices are not expensive. I was able to find blood oranges there last week, at decent prices: of course this was before the freeze in CA. Still haven't seen Meyer lemons there.

Here is the link for their home page:

http://www.sfmarkets.com/retailer/store_te...4CC8693150E7216

Also, during the growing season here, there is a marketplace/produce stand I found on Corrales Road. It is called Wagners, and they have good produce in season. They also sell at the Corrales farmer's market during the summer.

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both very much for the suggestions!

I was not aware of The Sunflower Market, Fresh Herbs or Wagners. I look forward to checking them out the next time I'm in town and will pass on the info to my friend as well. I stopped in once briefly to the Talin Market and that is a good suggestion as well especially for Asian produce.

Oh, and I think the natural foods coop I mentioned in the first post is La Montanita Coop. Apparently they also have some other locations in Abq and Santa Fe. My impression was only formed from one short visit to the Nob Hill location.click

Thanks again!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Another option for Albuquerque residents (as opposed ot visitors!) are the three CSA's I've read about in the Albuquerque area:

Here's some info linked from Duke City Fix: click

(I believe misstenacity is contributor to this nice site...)

Los Poblanos Organics

Farm location: North valley

Cost: $26/week; $30.95/week with home delivery

Sweat equity?: Yes -- up to 50% by special arrangement

Drop-off and home delivery: Drop-off locations all over the Q (see their web site); home delivery for an extra fee

Four Seasons Harvest Gardens

Farm location: Placitas

Cost: $300 for a summer half share; $500 for a summer full share (both are for 20 weeks)

Sweat equity?: No, but there are two different student internships available

Drop-off and home delivery: Drop-off at the Placitas Mini-Mart; home delivery is free with a full summer share

Erda Gardens and Learning Center

Farm location: North Valley

Cost: Full share $550 plus four hours of work per month, $650 for a non-working share; half share $275 plus four hours of work per month, $375 for a non-working half share (all for about 26 weeks)

Sweat Equity: Absolutely!

Drop-off and home delivery: Pick up at the Gardener’s Guild on Central at Wellesley (next to Kelly’s) or by special arrangement at the farm. No home delivery

Thank you both very much for the suggestions! 

I was not aware of The Sunflower Market, Fresh Herbs or Wagners.  I look forward to checking them out the next time I'm in town and will pass on the info to my friend as well.  I stopped in once briefly to the Talin Market and that is a good suggestion as well especially for Asian produce.

Oh, and I think the natural foods coop I mentioned in the first post is La Montanita Coop.  Apparently they also have some other locations in Abq and Santa Fe.  My impression was only formed from one short visit to the Nob Hill location.click

Thanks again!

I am not sure Wagners is open this time of year. It is over in Corrales, so I usually get there when I am going over to SunFlower Market. Next time I go over that way (from the NE Heights), I will see if they are open during the winter. I really suspect they are not, since they sell their own produce, and NM doesn't have a growing season like California.

SunFlower Market is opening another location at San Mateo and Lomas sometime this spring. At least that is what one employee told me, but I haven't seen them doing any work on the building that is supposed to house their new market. The one on the Westside is at the interesection of Corrales Road and Alameda.

I am a member of La Montanita as well. They do have a westside location, on Rio Grande Blvd. I can't remember the cross streets, to give you a better idea of their location.

I am still trying to find other places around the area. There are two so called Farmers Markets, which are little produce stores, both in the NE Heights. One is on Eubank just north of Comanche, and the other is on Snowheights, just below Menaul. Once in a while they will have some good deals, but they have mainly run of the mill produce. Shallots are inexpensive there, though. :wink:

By the way, there is another Asian market down on Gibson, near San Mateo.

My mission now, is to find meat markets where I can find less common cuts of meat at a decent price. There is a decent meat market here in town, called Kellers, but I still can't find everything I want. I have been to the Asian markets here, and while I can find some things, I am not able to find other things.

I think one day soon, I am going to plan a tour of the area carnecerias, just to see what they have. There is one on the westside, on 4th street that looks interesting to me, but I haven't been in there yet.

Christine

Edited by artisan02 (log)

years ago (well, ok, decades ago), there was a really good produce store on north fourth, like maybe north of candelaria, if memory serves. i think it was a retail outlet for a wholesale distributor, but i remember finding shallots and sorrel--and this was in 1981 or so. i still remember how exciting that was.

edit: late memory: every early fall i'd run down there and order a case of red peppers (bell, not chile). that was the only time we could get them way back then. made it a big event. i'd spend a saturday afternoon roasting and peeling them and freezing them in plastic bags.

Edited by russ parsons (log)

years ago (well, ok, decades ago), there was a really good produce store on north fourth, like maybe north of candelaria, if memory serves. i think it was a retail outlet for a wholesale distributor, but i remember finding shallots and sorrel--and this was in 1981 or so. i still remember how exciting that was.

There is one there, called the Fruit Basket. Is this the store of which you are thinking? I have been in there, and it is generally run of the mill. No sorrel there.

I lived here back in the early 80s, before I moved to northern California in 1985. A produce store opened there back in 1984 I think, somewhere on Menaul, or another of those streets that run in that direction. It had a lot of ingredients I was reading in the cookbooks of that time, and I was so excited.

When I moved back here this time, I went looking for it. Either my memory is very faulty (which is possible) or it is no longer in business. I was so disappointed.

Christine

My mission now, is to find meat markets where I can find less common cuts of meat at a decent price.  There is a decent meat market here in town, called Kellers, but I still can't find everything I want.  I have been to the Asian markets here, and while I can find some things, I am not able to find other things.

I think one day soon, I am going to plan a tour of the area carnecerias, just to see what they have.  There is one on the westside, on 4th street that looks interesting to me, but I haven't been in there yet.

Christine

I've been to the Kellers in NE Heights. They seem to have some nice meats but I was very disappointed with their "deli" counter. They proudly proclaimed "no nitrates" and the ham was gray! The person also stared at me a bit when I asked if they had liverwurst. She said they might have carried it in the past. I"m not sure if Keller's used to ba a German butcher shop or not, but I didn't see any evidence of European style charcuteries or sausages.

Did I hear correctly that the Alpine Sausage Kitchen closed? (2800 Indian School) Again, I know you are looking for a butcher but they may (have?) also carried other selections of meats.

Maybe I shouldn't change the focus of the thread, but I'd also be interested in butchers and places that would carry Italian and/or German/Austrian sausages and coldcuts.

There is a little Italian place that has some coldcuts like proscuitto but no mortadella or sopressetta, I think. They have a bunch of imported Italian 'drygoods' in there as well like imported tomatoes and pasta. I think it is Tully's (1425 San Mateo NE).

Edited by ludja (log)

I lived here back in the early 80s, before I moved to northern California in 1985.  A produce store opened there back in 1984 I think,  somewhere on Menaul, or another of those streets that run in that direction.  It had a lot of ingredients I was reading in the cookbooks of that time, and I was so excited. 

that was right around the corner from my house. if it's the one i'm thinking of, it was on like juan tabo and louisiana ... my directions are hazy after all this time. it was really something when it opened ... too much of a good thing, it turned out. the guy was a scam artist who'd opened a store front and got lots of produce on credit, attracted investors and then just didn't show up for work one day. no one saw him after that.

[i've been to the Kellers in NE Heights.  They seem to have some nice meats but I was very disappointed with their "deli" counter.  They proudly proclaimed "no nitrates" and the ham was gray!  The person also stared at me a bit when I asked if they had liverwurst.  She said they might have carried it in the past.  I"m not sure if Keller's used to ba a German butcher shop or not, but I didn't see any evidence of European style charcuteries or sausages.

Did I hear correctly that the Alpine Sausage Kitchen closed? (2800 Indian School) Again, I know you are looking for a butcher but they may (have?) also carried other selections of meats.

Maybe I shouldn't change the focus of the thread, but I'd also be interested in butchers and places that would carry Italian and/or German/Austrian sausages and coldcuts.

There is a little Italian place that has some coldcuts like proscuitto but no mortadella or sopressetta, I think.  They have a bunch of imported Italian 'drygoods' in there as well like imported tomatoes and pasta.  I think it is Tully's (1425 San Mateo NE).

I haven't found many places if any, that carry European style charcuterie.

Haven't been to Alpine Sausage Kitchen, and haven't heard that it is closed. I will drive by there this week and check it out.

I have been to Tullys on the recommendation of a friend who has lived here all her life. I wasn't impressed. I may go back though, as they advertise being an Italian meat market and deli. I have been trying to find veal breast, and it is a difficult search.

Christine

that was right around the corner from my house. if it's the one i'm thinking of, it was on like juan tabo and louisiana ... my directions are hazy after all this time. it was really something when it opened ... too much of a good thing, it turned out. the guy was a scam artist who'd opened a store front and got lots of produce on credit, attracted investors and then just didn't show up for work one day. no one saw him after that.

I didn't remember it being out as far as Juan Tabo. I seem to remember it being closer to Louisiana, but on a street like Menaul, or Montgomery, or Candelaria.

If it was the same place, what a shame. It was fun to shop there and the quality seemed pretty good to me, at the time. Of course, that was before I discovered the produce in Berkeley, CA.

Christine

I often wind up going to three or four places for veggies on one shopping trip. The real trouble here, is supply and demand, which effects quality and price.

La Montanita is Very pricey and all too often, they are out of things they should keep in stock, like baby greens (even at a whopping $7.99 per pound). Ta Lin on the other hand, has Great prices, like: Thai Basil ($1.29 for a good sized bag, $1.95 for a small flat of oyster mushrooms or fresh lychees ($4 a bag). But, quality is very"iffy".

Fresh Herbs was much better in their former incarnation as B Riley. At this point, they often have alot of intresting things, including wild mushrooms at a fairly good price, but, they no longer carry many things, that used to be staples, like salsify. Also they're often out of things they should carry, so I always call first.

Like Sunflower Market, Lowes on Lomas and 12th often has excellent prices on more common fruits and vegetables. (10 smallish red grapefruits for 2 bucks, 15 key limes or 4 lemons for a dollar. It's hit or miss at both places for quality and price.

I'm also not very impressed with Tullys. Deli Mart on Coors has a better selection of Italian meats etc. and they'll also order special items for you.

There's is a small Carnerceria on NW 4th, next to VSA N4th Street Theatre (where I'm directing a play). I've been too busy, but I've been wanting to try it. Has anyone tried it?

Fresh Herbs was much better in their former incarnation as B Riley. At this point, they often have alot of intresting things, including wild mushrooms at a fairly good price, but, they no longer carry many things, that used to be staples, like salsify. Also they're often out of things they should carry, so I always call first.

First it was B Riley Fresh Herbs, then it was Fresh Herbs, Inc..... now it is just "Riley's", after being sold to Winston & Rufus Inc, the company that owns Casa Vieja (a restaurant in the North Valley).

The punch line (ow) is that they no longer sell to consumers, only restaurants/retailers, and their selection has gone down yet again. From a local restauranteur I hear this is a good thing, as they have also cut prices slightly.

They might be in talks with a retail establishment in town to carry their produce, but I don't know if that will happen or if the prices won't be as good because the 3rd party will mark up, etc.... I hope it turns out.

Andrea

in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Andrea, just a fwiw...

Sign on the door at what I knew to be B. Riley's (behind an old, boarded up Carrow's) on Juan Tabo just north of I-40 says their items are available in Raley's supermarkets.

This was about ten days ago.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...
[i've been to the Kellers in NE Heights.  They seem to have some nice meats but I was very disappointed with their "deli" counter.  They proudly proclaimed "no nitrates" and the ham was gray!  The person also stared at me a bit when I asked if they had liverwurst.  She said they might have carried it in the past.  I"m not sure if Keller's used to ba a German butcher shop or not, but I didn't see any evidence of European style charcuteries or sausages.

I haven't found many places if any, that carry European style charcuterie.

Haven't been to Alpine Sausage Kitchen, and haven't heard that it is closed. I will drive by there this week and check it out.

I found out that the Alpine Sausage Kitchen is definately still open!

I will definately check it out next time I'm there.