• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low fat, low sodium spam .....

Ono Loa

Usually i buy regular spam in some form... hickory or garlic....

But... yesterday i thought i would try the low sodium ....

I usually eat it with rice for breakfast... followed by papaya or pinapple.

This spam is terrible... it has no flavor. i usually cube a slice and fry it gently till crisp ...then spread on rice. i had to add hot sauce to give it flavor.

Really! I mean whats the point?

I hear from people all the time they cant tell the difference. is it me? or what?

i think its awful.

the honey variety is pretty bad as well. what do you buy?

The reason spam is spam is because of the sodium. And the nitrates etc...but if you're gonna eat it why f... with it??? It's like no salt peanut butter, or no fat cheese. You're going for the whole effect. Don't screw with it!

The reason spam is spam is because of the sodium. And the nitrates etc...but if you're gonna eat it why f... with it??? It's like no salt peanut butter, or no fat cheese. You're going for the whole effect. Don't screw with it!

my thoughts exactly.... but a lot of people here in da islands love it and say they cant tell the difference....buy my GOD its just plain awful. i use just enough of the regular stuff to flavour my rice....but this low fat low sodium thing is nasty.

yeah my diet generally sucks ...but i do cut my own pinapples and pick my own mangos and papayas....cant live without da spam and rice though. i see its on sale this week ... $1.59/can.... all varities. wont be buying that low sodium stuff again...maybe can use whats left as a door stop.

Spam without the salty taste is not spam at all. A true-blue Filipino would eat spam morning, noon and night. A family favorite is to slice thinly and fry until crisp. It almost taste like bacon!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Spam without the salty taste is not spam at all. A true-blue Filipino would eat spam morning, noon and night. A family favorite is to slice thinly and fry until crisp. It almost taste like bacon!

spam and rice are best mates! i absolutely have to have it for breakfast every morning. i think its better than bacon. now.. that said..... i am a hugh fan of the pig. but something about spam with rice is SO good.....all cripsy on the outside and soft on the inside ...a little hawaiian sweet sauce on it mmm....... delicious!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...