• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has Anybody eaten Mideodok?

I'm trying to find some information about a creature that's served as a part of Korean cuisine, called mideokok in Korea. I think that it's also eaten in Japan, but I don't know the name. The technical name for this unattractive little beast is, I kid you not, the warty sea squirt (Styela clava). This species can now be found off the coast of California.

Please post if you have any information about how to prepare mideokok and/or have ever eaten it. I understand that it also comes pre-prepared in jars with loads of garlic and red pepper...but that describes a lot of dishes in Korean cuisine.

Joe Franke

The Invasive Species Cookbook: Conservation through Gastronomy

www.bradfordstreetpress.com

I've seen it in the fresh open air markets and in some of the stews served in restaurants. I have to confess I am a bit squeamish to try it.

Wait, are you talking about the little thumb-size creatures that are grey and warty or the big red-orange ones that are cut up and served raw like sashimi?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I've seen it in the fresh open air markets and in some of the stews served in restaurants. I have to confess I am a bit squeamish to try it.

Wait, are you talking about the little thumb-size creatures that are grey and warty or the big red-orange ones that are cut up and served raw like sashimi?

That sure sounds like them. A photo of the species in question can be found at:

http://convoluta.ucdavis.edu/research/

Come to think of it, I do remember a larger species related to the warty sea squirt that is indeed larger and orange on offer at a sushi joint in Japan.

Any information that you could get me as to the proper way to prepare them, what to eat and what not to eat, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe Franke

oh you eat those raw and they are usually sliced and dipped into that gochujang based sauce mixed with vinegar and sugar. I forgot the name of the sauce, but it is usually served with anything raw (fish, squid, octopus, etc).

my mom and sister used to eat those things when we lived in korea, but I wouldn't touch them. Those things scared the bajeebus out of me. Now however I would definitely give them a try.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

oh you eat those raw and they are usually sliced and dipped into that gochujang based sauce mixed with vinegar and sugar.  I forgot the name of the sauce, but it is usually served with anything raw (fish, squid, octopus, etc).

my mom and sister used to eat those things when we lived in korea, but I wouldn't touch them.  Those things scared the bajeebus out of me.  Now however I would definitely give them a try.

Thank for the information, SheenaGreena!

I guess that you're saying that no preparation is necessary...just slice and eat? And they ate the little ones raw, as well as the big orange ones?

Did you mom make Mideodok-chim, in which the're cooked with beef and a bunch of other ingredients?

I just found out that these creatures are actually raised in aquaculture situations in both Japan and Korea, so there must me a pretty steady market for them.

Edited by IgnatzH (log)

Joe Franke

unfortunately I don't know if you can just slice it and eat it. I'm sure there are some parts that are not usually eaten? If it was me, I would just eat the body on the "outside" and get rid of the stuff on the inside. I mean it's a sea squirt, it's not going to have any organs or anything like that...really nothing too complicated. then again, I don't want you to listen to me and then get sick.

remember, I am just guessing here...I have no clue what I am talking about

this is what my mom and sis ate: z11_3.jpg

I'll try to find a recipe for the gochujang based dipping sauce

eta:

Did you mom make Mideodok-chim, in which the're cooked with beef and a bunch of other ingredients?

nope, I have never seen or heard of that in my entire life! sorry. do you need a recipe for it or something?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena Greena is right about some parts that are not eaten. I have watched them prepare this and I can see the vendor slice and scrape away gunky stuff off. Lemme see if I can find pics that I took of it last year.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos