• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift-wrapping wine gifts

Fat Guy

While basic gift-wrap or a wine bag makes for a nice enough presentation, I can't help but think there are more interesting ways to present wine gifts.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I found a store with little wine bottle kimonos that slip over the bottle and make it look "dressed up".

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love see through packing for the wines.

I had been using a lot of it in my wine shop and it really looks good with the propper tie.

Today producers are coming up with beautiful bottles and labels...why hide them.

As far as the wooden boxes are concerned; there is really not much use for them unless you would like to keep the wine in the original gift box for whatever reason.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

The tubes seem to be taking over in these parts. While not highly imaginative, they are fairly practical (reusable, offering some margin of protection, most have a cord 'handle' for easy toting). I suppose, if it were a special bottle or recipient, they could be personalized with photos, recipes, reviews, graphics from the winery's website incorporating the label (since, as someone upthread said, labels are often art now). Essentially making the wrapping a greeting/gift card.

Not that you seem like the artsy-craftsy type but one never knows. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

How about a

shrunken sweater?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If you want to be really cruel, you can present the wine in this contraption.

My sister gave one to us for Christmas the year before last. Luckily, there's a relatively inexpensive bottle of wine trapped inside (and not a favorite of ours), because it's still stuck in there. She did give us the solution, but we haven't been desparate enough yet to peek.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I suppose my problem is that I'm opposed to kitsch unless it is fully self-conscious of its kitschiness and serves as a specific point of humor or is used to make a post-modern statement.

My ideal way of giving or receiving the gift of a bottle of wine is to place it in the one-bottle bags supplied by most wine stores (many stores will hand you a dozen or so simply on request if you're a regular customer), to drop a small card inside and to present it just that way.