• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Work Flair

I'm looking to improve my speed in the bar, I've started improving my cuts and setting up the bar differently, but does anyone have any rips or tricks that are good to know? Please feel free to post videos and pics, especially of how to make different cuts and handling the bottles. I'm not looking to become a flairbartender, but it seemed to me that certain ways of handling the bottles and presenting yourself make you look a lot more professional to the guests at the bar and they tend to take you more seriously, any takes on this? Looking forward to getting a little help to a very enthusiatic bartender :biggrin:

I'm not a flairtender, but work on your memory. If you can only memorize one drink at a time it's rather pointless. At the very least you should be able to take a five cocktail order and make them without asking again. Also, make sure you know your prices and you should be able to calculate that five drink order in your head. That will save time running between the customer and the till.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

thanks dsoneil, I'll start memorizing :biggrin:

I'm not a flairtender, but work on your memory. If you can only memorize one drink at a time it's rather pointless. At the very least you should be able to take a five cocktail order and make them without asking again.  Also, make sure you know your prices and you should be able to calculate that five drink order in your head. That will save time running between the customer and the till.

Memory skills are very important!

Also always make sure that you put things in the same place so that you don´t have to hunt around for them. Organisation is vital.

If you´re making a round of drinks and a guy comes in on his own, take his order too - nine times out of ten it´ll be something simple and this way he doesn´t have to wait until you finish making six strawberry mojitos!

Practice, practice, practice, that´s the only way to improve!

Good luck

i´d rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy! Fred Allen.