• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Califorinia freeze

Mr. Delicious

I was just reading about the cold spell that hit the citrus region of California, then the local news called and asked if wanted to do a story on how it will affect me, especially with Valentines day coming. Just wondering if anyone had heard more, or how something like this has affected us bakers before.

The local papers here in California are telling us to look forward to $2 oranges... and that's before shipping! Good luck on your story.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Prices of oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, broccoli, lettuce and spinach are already up since last week.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Im doing a wedding cake soon filled with Lemon Curd. Good thing I have my own frost free lemon tree.  :biggrin:

I've got two lemon trees (one is a meyer) and a clementine tree. It got down into the high 30's where I am. They seem to be ok. Prices are still the same this week but people are already asking if I am going to use all my fruit... "Sorry, but I sure am."

Edited by Susie Q (log)

The flyer from Vallarta supermarket states they still have low prices on citrus and avocados. However the local produce market has upped their prices on citrus but reduced prices on other fruits, apples, pears, grapes.

They have no strawberries at all.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have 2 orange trees in the yard that are at critical mass. It's time to pick what's left of them before they fall (many have already, which forces me to deal with them..they get sweeter the longer they stay on the bush). With citrus prices soon to climb I have a question or 2.

Can you freeze orange juice? before you reject this out of hand for being stupid, I only ask because a friend who has a juicer told me no. She remembers reading it in her juicer book but can't find it to confirm. I thought there was a mistake until I began to think about it. I freeze lemon juice, and you can buy frozen lemon juice. You cannot buy frozen orange juice unless it's been concentrated. Right?? So how does one concentrate orange juice? It would really save on freezer space, but if I find I CAN just freeze the juice as is, I will. Does anyone know? Experience??

Any other suggestions for using up the bushel of oranges left? They are Louisiana oranges, and one bush is a satsuma...with 'zipper' peel and I believe are a cross between an orange and a tangerine. I really don't know. they're in everyone's back yard and we grew up just knowing them as satsumas. In anycase, we eat them interchangably (sp) with oranges.

I've been sending them to school, to the soccer games etc. and we arn't lacking in vitamin c. It was a bumper season, I guess God wanted to make up for sending Rita in!

Anyone have any ideas?

technically, there's no such thing as a "louisiana orange". the two main families of oranges in the us are valencias and navels. my guess, given your climate is that you have a valencia. these are good juice oranges (though the flavor is usually not so distinguished out of hand). satsuma is not an orange but is a mandarin.

I'm originally from Florida, and my mother sends me key limes, meyer lemons, tangerines, etc. from the trees in her yard a few times over the winter. However, when I was home for Christmas last month the pickings were slim. Her usually overflowing meyer lemon tree had very few lemons. My mother told me that there has been a drought in Florida and it had badly affected the citrus. Although the impact of this probably wouldn't have been too awful in and of itself, combined with the California freeze I'm not optimistic about baking with a lot of citrus this year.