• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemons and Limes: The Topic

amapola

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I do it on the the defrost setting on my microwave for no more than 30 seconds or so then let them cool down again.

Why on the defrost setting? I've been heating a lime up for maybe 10 seconds at the most on just regular setting and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Maybe that's my mistake? The limes we get here in Seattle, at least lately, are for the most part not very ripe and hard to juice. Or I assume they're just not ripe but leaving them on the counter to ripen doesn't seem to make much difference either. They just get dried out. Anyway, why defrost setting? Thank you. 

On 3/25/2023 at 2:37 PM, heidih said:

Size and type does matter. Also hiw are you squeezing/juicing? I stick a fork in a half antwist and squeeze really crushing the "juice sacs". Plus not every lime is at same level of ripe and growing conditions make a difference. They arenot widgets ;)

I was using a hinged thingy and looking wistfully at all the juice it didn’t extract, so I switched to a wooden reamer. 

Far, far better. Time to put the hinge things out on a stoop for someone else 

• Like 2