• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemons and Limes: The Topic

amapola

Hello GlorifiedRice!

We were alerted to this post and would like to address it as as quickly as possible. As a representative of Frieda's Specialty Produce, I am sorry that you are disastified with our products. Seedless citrus is one unpredictable fruit. While they're bred to have no seeds, and most of them are indeed seedless, once in a while nature decides to play Russian roulette with seeds. A few fruits would end up with seeds in them.

While nature is unpredictable and beyond our control, we are reliable and have 100% satisfaction guarantee.  All we can do other than apologizing for your displeasure and inconvenience is provide you with a refund. Please email us at mail@friedas.com and we will make this right.

Once again, I'm very sorry.

- Oakley Boren

Communications Manager

Frieda's Specialty Produce

P.S. I'd like to add that 1) our production designer is doing a happy dance because you said his bag design is cute, and b) there is no shame in not crossing the aisle. Being 5 foot tall, I often give up on getting stuff from the top shelf.

Edited by FriedasProduce (log)
  • Like 3

Hello GlorifiedRice!

While nature is unpredictable and beyond our control, we are reliable and have 100% satisfaction guarantee.  All we can do other than apologizing for your displeasure and inconvenience is provide you with a refund. Please email us at mail@friedas.com and we will make this right.

Hi Freida's! I do NOT want a refund as I said I was not buying them cause they were seedless. However Id like you to consider carrying 2 items Thai WINGED BEANS and Organic In the pod Lotus Seeds.

Chino Farms in Cali sells Winged Beans, but I cannot contact them

Heres some info

http://slowfoodbali.com/slow-stories/wing-beans-the-one-stalk-supermarket/

Thats all I want, TY

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Thanks again for letting us know about winged Beans and lotus seeds. I will forward the information to our team. No promises.

If you have further inquiries, please email me at mail@friedas.com. (I would also be happy to send you coupons and recipes if you'd like. Let me know!)

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know what type of lemon these are?

I picked them up in a local store this morning. Never seen them before. The Chinese name is 香水柠檬 which translates as 'perfume lemon". Mr. Google is of no help in any language. Thanks.

They are the length of regular lemons but narrower.

IMG_0094.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It looks very similar to an Assam lemon which originates from the Assam region of India. See if you can find it on Google. Have a look at http://citruspages.free.fr/lemons.html#longilimon

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

35 minutes ago, pastryani said:

These look like finger limes.  If you google this you'll see pictures of the flesh inside which resembles caviar, and it's often used as a garnish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_australasica

Thanks, but I'm sure that's not it. The inside looks like a lemon and nothing like caviar.  Caviar?

IMG_0104.jpg

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

It looks very similar to an Assam lemon which originates from the Assam region of India. See if you can find it on Google. Have a look at http://citruspages.free.fr/lemons.html#longilimon

Maybe. Though with China and India's frosty relationship, I wonder how they would end up here.

Because they originated from the Assam region, it does not mean the ones you purchased are now grown there - they could now be grown locally in China or anywhere else in the world. Two years ago we had very similar looking lemons in one of our local fruit & veg. shops that are produced on our west coast region. I never saw them last year but will look out for them this year - the first crop of lemons this year are now starting to appear on the shelves and I will keep my eye open for them. For all we know, those could come from South Africa as we are exporting ship loads of citrus to China at the moment.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

35 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Looks like some sort of lime to me. Most limes, when really ripe, turn partially yellow. -Not as yellow as a lemon, but, yellow enough that people often can't figure out what sort of tree they have in their yard here in Arizona.

That was my first thought, but they definitely taste of lemon, rather than lime. I have studied the lemon-lime conundrum in great detail (it's a huge problem here) and written about it a lot.

I'm getting ready for a three-day business trip to Hong Kong, so will say more about that when I'm back. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

For all we know, those could come from South Africa as we are exporting ship loads of citrus to China at the moment.

Interesting. I've never seen any fruit (or anything else) here identified as South African. Most of the fruit here is local or from Hainan or imported from nearby Vietnam. It may be different in other parts of China.

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

Looks like some sort of lime to me. Most limes, when really ripe, turn partially yellow. -Not as yellow as a lemon, but, yellow enough that people often can't figure out what sort of tree they have in their yard here in Arizona.

Hold the front page!

I've just re-tasted one and I think you may be right. It's a lime or a lime/lemon cross. My first taste test was on one straight from the fridge, which I guess muted the flavor. It now tastes decidedly lime-ish. Although It still looks like a lemon. More experimentation when I get back.

BTW, the shop had no idea what they were.

• Like 2

Just now, pastryani said:

Hmm then I guess this is different.  See below for pics of the lime "caviar".

http://www.gourmantic.com/2015/03/03/finger-limes/

Thanks for the picture links. Very interesting. But not what I have, sadly.

Well those just look awesome, whatever they are.

I think they are likely Assam lemons--The last time I saw them, I think I was in NYC buying an etrog and they were nearby.

Assam lemons seem like citrons to my nose--the peel is wonderfully perfumed and maybe thats the Chinese slang.

Less likely, maybe this:  http://idtools.org/id/citrus/citrusid/factsheet.php?name=Faustrimedin

• 6 years later...

Never again shall I permit a bag of lovely and expensive lemons to liquify and grow gray green and fuzzy in the hydrator.  So much for tonight's warmly anticipated Mississippi punch.  (Admittedly worse eventualities in life than having to make do with a mai tai.)

Topic of discussion:  why does Penicillium quickly despoil my lemon stash whereas I have never, ever, ever in my life experienced a rotten lime?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Topic of discussion:  why does Penicillium quickly despoil my lemon stash whereas I have never, ever, ever in my life experienced a rotten lime?

My experience as well.  Do you think the ones you get have that wax coating we used to get on fruit? My home grown ones, when I had the kuxury, were ony picked as needed for use. Niece bought a bag of juicy lemons I put in a lovely crystal bowl. Walked out after a week " stinky one contaminating the kitchen. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Never again shall I permit a bag of lovely and expensive lemons to liquify and grow gray green and fuzzy in the hydrator.  So much for tonight's warmly anticipated Mississippi punch.  (Admittedly worse eventualities in life than having to make do with a mai tai.)

Husband Ed and I meet every morning to discuss the day's agenda.  On my "Food" paper, I keep a running list (messy) of vegetable and fruit items on hand, just so that this kind of thing does not occur.  And it's worked out very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thinner skin/less pith?  Limes will turn brown, but the skin just dries out.  'Baby' lemons tend to have thinner skin too.  Thicker pith may retain moisture & sustain life better?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Thinner skin/less pith?  Limes will turn brown, but the skin just dries out.  'Baby' lemons tend to have thinner skin too.  Thicker pith may retain moisture & sustain life better?

I'd say limes have less pith.  Could it be a difference in pH?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that you run through limes much more quickly than lemons?   That penicillium hasn't a chance in your lime bowl.

• Haha 5

eGullet member #80.