• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One night for dinner in Atlanta

rockandroller

I'm returning to ATL for my 2nd time. There are a lot of great threads with tons of info and mouth-watering posts about Atlanta but unfortunately, I only have one night for a dinner of my choosing (I'm there 2 nights but the other night my dining companions are choosing the dinner location). Dinner will be this coming Monday night the 22nd. I'm staying in Midtown but will have a car. (note: I would also love suggestions for a great lunches in Midtown).

Trying to decide between Rathbun's and Food Studio for dinner Monday night. My dining companion knows me for having a reputation as a foodie and always picking great places for us to go. Previously when we were in ATL we dined at Ecco on my suggestion and a great, cheap BBQ place my ATL friends suggested for lunch.

My dining companion can't eat any shellfish and isn't a big fish lover. I like fish but not shellfish or other types of seafood. Other than my aversion to seafood I like everything else; sweetbreads, marrow, "normal" foods like steaks and chops, pasta, everything. I tend towards a Mediterranean diet (particularly Greek and Italian) but am open to whatever when traveling.

Which place do you think would be better, Rathbun's or Food Studio? And *please* make a recommendation for dress code at your suggested place; what does "casual" mean in Atlanta? I've found "casual" in DC to surprisingly mean if you wear jeans and a dress shirt you'll be sat next to the kitchen and away from other diners.

Thank you eGulleteers!

Unless Food Studio has gotten way better recently I'd recommend Rathbun's.

Food requirements no problem whatsoever.

I'd personally go a little dressier than jeans at Rathbun's, but some would disagree.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Haven't been to either of the restaurants you mentioned - but we've had good lunch at Eno - and it sounds like the kind of place you'd like. I suppose jeans would be ok - but we usually dress a little dressier than that in Atlanta when we visit (it's a casual city - but it is a big city).

FWIW - we'll be in Atlanta the following week - and we're dining at the restaurant in the Four Seasons - and Bacchanalia. The former is in midtown - and the latter is only a few minutes away. We have an event at the Georgia Dome on Saturday -will be over about 8 pm - and we might try Trois (a new place also in midtown - across the street from the Four Seasons) for drinks and some small plates after. Robyn

P.S. Don't know if you like contemporary design - but there's an excellent store - Retromodern - in midtown. Worth a browse. And across the street from Eno.

Edited by robyn (log)

A little late, I know. I've heard good things about Rathbun's but if you're not tied to those choices, I'd recommend Restaurant Eugene. I had a great dinner there recently, plus they have a very good bar as well.