• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro Saint Marks

Besha

We went for Lobster Night. A full menu of lobster dishes, plus the regular menu.

“Two please” we said at the door.

“Ok,” said the host, “but I have to tell you that we’re out of lobster”.

We sat anyway.

We had been here before, egged on last summer by a wonderful review in the Times, which said among other things that Bistro Saint Marks had a level of service rarely seen in the boroughs. We had been pleasantly surprised by the restaurant’s attempt at Brooklyn haute cuisine, although it was obvious that the floor manager also waited tables, and understaffed on purpose in order to bring in more tips for himself. This time, the shmoozy French manager/waiter was gone, and our waitress was one of those girls who is so beautiful that she’s never had to do anything well in her life.

We sat and waited for her for a long time.

The wine list was short. When our beautiful waitress finally blew in, I asked her about an Italian white. “That’s a crowd-pleaser,” she said, nodding enthusiastically.

“Have you tried it?”

“No, but people really like it.”

“What about this Riesling? Is it dry?”

“Um, yeah, it’s a dry Riesling, but sometimes if we have no dessert wine we serve that instead. So it’s kinda dry and kinda not.”

Although I was not in the mood for anything cloying, it’s rare for me to meet a decent Riesling that I don’t get along with, as opposed to Italian crowd pleasers, which could mean anything. We decided to go for that, then tried to order.

“We’ll start with the oysters,” Ryan started.

“We’re out of oysters.” The waitress interrupted.

“Ok, um….we might need a minute to figure out what we want to do then,” Ryan tried.

The waitress was not so easily scared off. “You might want to try the carpaccio,” she said, leaning over with her pen and paper.

“Yeah, we were going to have that too, but…”

“Good,” she said, and started writing. “What else?” She wasn’t even being a bitch. She was that clueless.

“Let’s just do what we were gonna do without the oysters,” I said. I just wanted her out of there.

“Well, maybe you should get the cod instead for your entrée,” Ryan suggested.

“We’re out of Cod,” the waitress said.

“And you’re out of all the lobster dishes?” I asked, just to make sure, pointing to the top section of the menu where seven or eight lobster dished appeared in half or whole portions.

“Everything but the lobster sandwich. But it’s not worth it anyway,” she said dismissively.

“Ok, fine,” I said. “We’ll start with the carpaccio, then we’ll split a half order of the chicken livers,”

“Do you want that to come with the carpaccio?”

“No, in the middle. Then we’ll each have an order of the tuna.”

“Ok, good.” She snatched our menus and was off. Ryan was furious. I was worn out already.

The wine came, then the scallop carpaccio on a b&b plate. The scallops were tender and fresh, and seasoned with a lovely herb oil, or at least I think that’s what I remember from the bite and a half that was my share. We finished it and were only a few sips into our wine when the chicken livers and two tunas we ordered were dumped in front of us. We had been there for thirty minutes, spent ten waiting for the waitress, ten squabbling with her about what we could or should or shouldn’t have, and here we were, ten minutes later, with the last two courses of the three we ordered already crowding our table. I pushed the tuna over to the side, took a deep breath, and started on the livers, which had been advertised as livers and figs on the menu, but was more like a big plate of pasta with a few livers on top. Figs can be one of my favorite foods, but when they’re cooked, they need to be macerated beforehand in order to keep their flavor. These seemed to have simply been thrown in with no prior attention, and were a bland waste as a result.

When we go out to eat, we like to sit and drink and eat a lot. We’ll usually go through a bottle and a half of wine, spend a lot of money, and tip very well for a place putting up with us settling in for a couple of hours. By the time I moved my (by now cold) tuna entrée over, I was only a sip into my second glass of wine, and I felt like crying. We don’t have the money to do this all the time. If I’m not enjoying myself, it’s my one true joy of the week down the toilet.

When we first ate here, I had the tune entrée, which I loved. Seared tuna over strips of shaved fennel root, with the tuna itself smothered in a fennel leaf oil. The absolutely overboard with the fennel routine worked for some reason, worked well, and I think I dreamed about it at one point. Well, I don’t know what happened, but it’s different. The dish now has a more Asian lean to it, with the addition of pickled ginger, and a LOT of vinegar. Ryan, the cook, loves vinegar, and spends most of his free time in the kitchen pickling whatever he can get his hands on. But after a valiant effort, he finally pushed his plate away. “I just can’t eat that much vinegar.” He said sadly.

In a second our plates were whisked away, and dessert menus dropped. We decided we were still hungry and would go for the cheese plate, which would be hard to fuck up. At the bottom of the menu, it claimed that we could have tawny or ruby port. When the waitress appeared, I asked her what kind of port it was. “Um, well, as far as ports go….I mean, I’m not sure.” She looked at us. We stared at her. “Do you want me to ask?”

“Yeah, that’d be great.”

In a minute she came back and said very seriously, her pretty eyes open wide, her head nodding, “It’s port wine.” When that wasn’t enough, she turned to the man behind the bar and whined “They still want to know what kind it is.” When she came back, she had two bottles of port in her hands, which she dumped on the table.

“Ok,” I said, “we’ll have two glasses of the tawny and the cheese plate.”

“We’re out of the cheese plate,” she said.

“Baby,” Ryan said as we walked out the door, “I feel like we’ve been chewed up and shit out.”

Besha,

I felt like crying too. Sorry about your horrible experience there....

Have you tried Home Restaurant on Cornelia St, in the West Village? Its not haute cuisine -- more like jazzed up comfort food, but probably perfect after what you've gone through.

Or if not, then Jewel Bako. (I think JB will knock your socks off. You'll be spoiled -- and every penny is worth it. :smile: ) For a thread about Jewel Bako, click here

SA

I'm with Soba on the Jewel Bako suggestion. That was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The level of service, knowledge of their products, and attention to their guests is among the best I have ever seen. The Lambs definately cater to your every need from the second you walk in the door unti you leave at the end of your experience. Note that I used the word experience not meal.

GB

You know, Besha, a professional scriptwriter would have been very highly paid to have written dialogue like that :smile:

What an awful experience. I think even I would have stood up when the tuna arrived, asked for the manager, refused to pay and walked out.

Besha! Besha! What a great recounting!

(Sorry about the experience though.)

Welcome to eGullet.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yeah, Bistro Saint Marks is in my 'hood (Besha, do you live in the Slope?) I've been several times, and the service has been pretty horrid every time. I must say that I enjoyed the food, but also had that experience once of them running out of things and not being at all apologetic or accomodating. Oh well.

Besha,

For our sake, I hope you have more disappointing experiences, if we get to read posts that well written as a result! But that's selfish and I shall now administer a wrist-slapping to myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Nina-

I live in Carroll Gardens and it always strikes me as strange that the Slope doesn't have more good restaurants...not the Slope proper at least. No one can knock al di la on 5th ave, and as for comfort food...I recently got screamed and cursed at by a chef at the Jersey shore for sending my entree back (something I've never done before). I walked out, took the first train back to the city, and went to Blue Ribbon Brooklyn for oysters and pink champagne. Now that's comfort!

I recently got screamed and cursed at by a chef at the Jersey shore for sending my entree back (something I've never done before).  I walked out, took the first train back to the city, and went to Blue Ribbon Brooklyn for oysters and pink champagne.  Now that's comfort!

you're clearly joking, right? what were the circumstances? the chef actually walked into the dining room and made a scene in front of others because he was sooo offended that you sent a dish back? you then skipped a meal, took a 3 hr train ride before eating? i would have been *starving*.

what restaurant was that? maybe he was just a cook.

Nina-

I live in Carroll Gardens and it always strikes me as strange that the Slope doesn't have more good restaurants...not the Slope proper at least.  No one can knock al di la on 5th ave, and as for comfort food...I recently got screamed and cursed at by a chef at the Jersey shore for sending my entree back (something I've never done before).  I walked out, took the first train back to the city, and went to Blue Ribbon Brooklyn for oysters and pink champagne.  Now that's comfort!

Besha, have you tried Convivium Osteria on 5th, a few blocks in from Flatbush? It's my favorite in the Slope, by far. I also like RoseWater, and Al di La, of course. Have heard favorable early reviews on Cocotte, which just opened on 5th near 4th St. And they're constructing furiously in the old Mike & Tony's space - supposedly going to be a new French bistro-ish place. And don't forget, Blue Ribbon Sushi is opening in the old Vaux space.

I'm soooo excited for Blue Ribbon Sushi. I also love Convivium, the seafood tapas for two is so good, and so much fun.

And yes, it was the chef who came out and screamed at us. Not only that, he threw a piece of raw fish on the table to prove how fresh it was. But this experience deserves a more thorough explanation, and right now I'm late for work, where I will be very diligent (as always) about letting all customers know what we are out of.

And yes, it was the chef who came out and screamed at us.  Not only that, he threw a piece of raw fish on the table to prove how fresh it was

Superb!!!!

So far over the top, this scenario will be in an indie film within six months.

This woman has to be in film development, the little people out in the dark demand it!!!!!!!

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

does fresh fish bounce or something?

you know, i think i've probably understated my complete lack of believe in this tale. clearly, because nothing has been presented that has swayed my opinion.

besha, are you *sure* you are telling the truth? should i go to this restaurant? i'm tempted, if only to talk to the chef to determine if he as the temperment of a 10 yr old.

[insert the theme to the twilight zone]

you know, i think i've probably understated my complete lack of believe in this tale.  clearly, because nothing has been presented that has swayed my opinion.

besha, are you *sure* you are telling the truth?  should i go to this restaurant?  i'm tempted, if only to talk to the chef to determine if he as the temperment of a 10 yr old. 

Tommy -

this is a screenplay. Like 80% done. people have won Sundance prizes with less.

Believing it isn't important, it could be box office magic.

Paul F Zanuck...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

It was surely the most unbelievable thing that has ever happened to me in a restaurant. It nearly made me cry, and that's quite a trick. The raw fish part was to prove to my boy how fresh the fish was (because the guy found out that Ryan was a cook in a respectable restaurant, which made him even madder, because then he couldn't think we were just two dumb kids).

Looking back, I guess it is silly and funny, but I still wish it had not happened. It was pretty upsetting, and took a lot of oysters and pink champagne to get over.