• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting New York City on Saturday

Gruzia

Hey Guys,

I'm going to NYC on Saturday for fun - am definately going to Museum of Modern Art and wanted to know if there are any great places that stick out in your mind around that area in terms of food. I don't have any particular plans, other than the museum, so any and all suggestions are welcome. So...recommendations?

I had a pretty spectacular solo lunch at the bar at the Bar Room last Saturday. MoMA was WAY too crowded (oh Brice Marden), so a cooldown was much needed. Complimentary dessert wine pairing with the sweets. Ain't so bad at all.

Oh, right, so, yes, Bar Room is highly recommended. :)

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

BAR ROOM!!!! I'll add my voice to the chorus.

If you're looking for something super-casual, a 'wichcraft has just opened at 48th and 5th - wouldn't be a bad place for a quick sandwich.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Really, it's a no-brainer.

Yeah, I know. I was hoping, however, for recommendations beyond the obvious. I'm going to be there the whole day so I wanted to check out the neighborhood stuff, too. Thoughts? Especially for cheap but good breakfast/brunch/lunch/snack places? Any cool ethnic restaurants?

Ramen at Men Kui Tei on 56th and 6th ave. Cash only, cheap as chips and really good ramen (well, I'm no expert but it's always got a line out the door during lunch service). The #1 ramen (house) is super and their onigiri are really yummy.

Men Kui Tei, 60 W. 56th St. (btw. 5 & 6th), 212-757-1642

http://midtownlunch.com/blog/2006/07/26/men-kui-tei/

Ooh, I'm loving the responses, and it's really helpful to include either the address or the phone number so that I can plan out my route. Thank you and keep 'em coming !

Edited by Gruzia (log)

What about street food? There's "The Cart" at 53rd and 6th Avenue for halal food after sundown. Make sure you get the night crew.

http://www.53rdand6th.com/

And the Burger Joint at Parker Meridien Hotel, located 119 W. 56 St between 6th & 7th Ave. Walk inside the lobby, turn to your left, go behind the curtain.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I haven't been to the Midtown location of Menkui Tei, but I do frequent the East Village location, which has great gyoza, and I have heard from Japanese friends that the Midtown location also has great gyoza.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"