• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Really Necessary for a Good Drink?

Nathan

Twists: I have a really cheap vegetable peeler that came with a huge 80 piece kitchen set I got for like $40 when I first moved into an apt. It's not that great for actually peeling vegetables, as it tends to take too much off, but it makes the best twists EVER. This leads me to believe that peelers suitable for peeling are not suitable for cutting twists. YMMV

I really didn't understand twists very well until asking a question like that in a forum like this and receiving the following quidance: When you practice squeezing the twist, do it with the colored side of the peel towards a lit candle or other flame source. When you do the twist correctly, you will see the oils from the peel flare up. This may make it easier for you to really understand what a twist it doing. It certainly worked for me.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I find that I get flimsy twists if I use a vegetable peeler compared to using a paring knife and trimming off the pith.

But, but... that's how Mr. Wondrich showed me... :wink:

You're right, as I do find myself bearing down when I use the peeler so the twist isn't as flimsy.

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

LOL...

When using a paring knife, try cutting a little piece off each end of the lemon or orange (I don't think lime peels are used too frequently). Then you should be able to stand the fruit upright on a cutting board with some stability - maiking it much easier to cut a healthy piece of peel sans pith. Oh, and that paring knife shud be plenty sharp.

I tend to use an OXO peeler, which makes short work of the peel and leaves just the slightest hint of pith on the underside.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Speaking of garnishes, though, what are those thin green things with a loop at one end that some bars use to spear their cherries and olives?  Are they available for normal people to buy?  Or do bars make them?

If you mean the the bamboo toothpicks that have a knot tied at the top they use at Pegu, they can be found in various kitchen supply stores in Chinatown (NYC). Not that I've ever got looking for them...

Since you’re located in San Francisco (assuming you're not near Chinatown), I thought you may find this link helpful.

Bamboo Cocktail Picks

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair