• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tupperware. Or something.

paulraphael

Marlene, will you marry me? I love your organization...impeccable.

We use Glad products - stack like with like and put the matching or like with like lids in a huge ziploc bag.

I don't like Rubbermaid ones...they warp and lose their shape.

I have picked up some brand new larger containers at Value City (a thrift store of sort here in Atlanta) for flour and sugars - and they are categoried like Marlene's (cake flour, wheat flour, all purpose flour, etc.) and it saves me a lot. I buy my spices from The Dekalb Farmer's market and they are already in neat plastic containers that have labels.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Thanks to feedback here I picked up some glad and some ziplock containers (seem about identical). i've had them a few weeks and so far they've solved all the problems.

i realized that stacking is the key, and it's what was missing from my old stuff. now i have a total of 3 sizes, they all stack and take up very little room. no trouble finding lids or having piles of odd shaped plastic tumbling onto my head.

thanks for the great ideas!

Notes from the underbelly

I like Gladware and find the sizes very thoughtful.

I don't think anyone's mentioned canning jars here -- I love them for storage and all kinds of other kitchen stuff. They're cheap, they last forever (unless a cat decides it would be fun to nudge one off the corner) and do well in the freezer. They can't be used in the microwave, of course, unless the seal and lid are removed, but I can work around that.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Marlene, will you marry me?  I love your organization...impeccable.

I think that's called bigamy in my country. :biggrin: I won't mention then that I have separate cupboards for baking supplies etc. Then people would really think I had OCD. (which I had to ask someone what that stood for!)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

And this way, I can put my hands on anything I need fairly quickly which truly (Rebecca) makes cooking more enjoyable.  Really.

Well, firstly, I am at present in the tiniest of kitchens, so there is nowhere for anything to run away to. But, secondly, and a more important fact, I'm a fuzzy thinker, and being completely organized confuses me! :laugh:

I just, in fact, sold my Tupperware off, most of which was my mother's from a Tupperware party she gave in 1974! :cool:

We've gotten enough take out containers lately to offset the need for the cute and immortal Tupperware. Tupperware lasts forever, but takeout stuff is free.

edited, heck, I'm Algernon lately. :huh:

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I got tired of looking at my big bins of plasticware and decided I could get better use of the space. I got a generic spin and store or whatever you call it at Big Lots for $7. It differs from the pricier tv version in that it has circular lids. I decided this wasn't a bad thing (circular vs square) based on comments posted before. I can say I am happy about the space it frees up. I couldn't get rid of my old stuff, so I put it in a plastic garbage bag in nthe garage and if I find something I can't live without I can retireve it. Anything in the garage in 6 months is going to the thrift store. I think the things that are being retireved are the larger flater pieces. I have one large container that holds a whole 9" pie plate. I guess it is staying. I do take lunch to work evry day and so far none of the new containers has leaked.

The big bin undercounter storage - now they hold cooling racks, and smaller bakeware like tart pans, muffin pans, etc.

[

Well, firstly, I am at present in the tiniest of kitchens, so there is nowhere for anything to run away to.  But, secondly, and a more important fact, I'm a fuzzy thinker, and being completely organized confuses me!  :laugh:

I just, in fact, sold my Tupperware off, most of which was my mother's from a Tupperware party she gave in 1974! :cool:

We've gotten enough take out containers lately to offset the need for the cute and immortal Tupperware. Tupperware lasts forever, but takeout stuff is free.

Fair enough. My son is a fuzzy thinker and we've (I've learned to live with it) :biggrin: The other reasons for tupperware for me is that it stacks easily so I can get more in my cupboards and I can easily see at a glance when quantities are getting low. I just open my cupboards when making out a grocery list. And I don't eat enough take out to have very many take out containers, but the ones I do have, I use for freezing soup portions usually.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.