• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Night Paris Restaurants open

countess

Or as a last ditch alternative because it isn't awfully expensive, you might consider the evening service (lunch is less modern) at Le Chateaubriand.

I had two amazing meals at Chateaubriand, then one not so amazing.

And I had a most unamazing lunch.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 9 months later...

To resurrect an old topic with (selfishly) my own query.

My parents are coming to Paris next weekend for a celebration (Dad's birthday). We're sending them to the opera on Saturday night, and we'll need somewhere to have something to eat before. Something near where the 7th and the 15th meet, or near the Bastille would be ideal, but the main issue is timing: the opera starts at 7:30. Eating afterwards is a non-runner.

So, in short, can anyone recommend anywhere decent (we know we're not going to somewhere "stellar" with these limitations, so budget probably isn't going to be an issue - the really high-end places won't be serving) that will be open at about 5:30?

Thanks!

To resurrect an old topic with (selfishly) my own query.

My parents are coming to Paris next weekend for a celebration (Dad's birthday).  We're sending them to the opera on Saturday night, and we'll need somewhere to have something to eat before.  Something near where the 7th and the 15th meet, or near the Bastille would be ideal, but the main issue is timing: the opera starts at 7:30.  Eating afterwards is a non-runner.

So, in short, can anyone recommend anywhere decent (we know we're not going to somewhere "stellar" with these limitations, so budget probably isn't going to be an issue - the really high-end places won't be serving) that will be open at about 5:30?Thanks!

So, first check out this topic; then see if the Bernard Group has reopened Les Grandes Marches, under the steps natch, never great but OK before the opera, find out when Entre les Vignes opens and if all fails, go to Bofinger or that great Irish bar adjacent. And please report back; this is a FAQ.

John Talbott

Thank you, John!

So, Bofinger's earliest sitting (as with la Coupole, also a Flo restaurant, and one of our first ideas) is 6:30.

Les Grandes Marches is indeed open again (as of March), and says it's open from 9am to 4am. I'm holding that option open, but your "never great" comment isn't encouraging.

Entre les Vignes: nope, too early.

We have become more creative... looking for somewhere on a direct metro between home and the opera, and we've hit on the Cafe de L'Esplanade - not wonderful food, that's for sure, but it's a nice place, it will be warm and welcoming, and it's a gorgeous walk down avenue de Breteuil and around the Invalides and a nice view of the Ecole Militaire... the metro station is just outside and it'll be easy for them. Still a little bit fashionable, and all of that orange and gold and swags of material will be a suitable start to the evening. (I wish we could have had tickets to the real Opera house, rather than the nasty Bastille). They serve food all day, and from what I've eaten there before (it's a regular stopping-off-place on our sunday walks) they should enjoy it.

John - sending us to an Irish bar? Really! They will have just arrived from Dublin on the Friday evening. And Dad's first job was with Guinness. How sweet of you to put together a trip down memory lane for him on his birthday...

John - sending us to an Irish bar?  Really!  They will have just arrived from Dublin on the Friday evening.  And Dad's first job was with Guinness.  How sweet of you to put together a trip down memory lane for him on his birthday...

Then it's perfect between acts. I'm not sure it's still there but it was on the North East corner of the Place if a circle can have a corner.

John Talbott