• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelatin Chocolate Molds...

aguynamedrobert

I was just chatting with someone about molds they make themselves....I have seen these silicone molds and they look great but I have someone mention...

Gelatin Molds

I never knew you could make your own molds out of Gelatin...I guess it is just Gelatin and water mixed together to where the gelatin is enough to harden the mold to a rubber type consistency and you can use it as a chocolate mold...

Has anyone ever used these before and if so how did you think it works?

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I haven't tried this but I do remember seeing Jacques Torres make a gelatin mold using a champagne bottle. He made the mold for half the bottle, made 2 halves in chocolate and stuck them together once they were filled with champagne truffles. :wub:

It looked easy enough. I would think you want a heavy amound of gelatin in there to keep things as solid as possible, but I have no ratio for you.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

This is a very quick and handy method of making a one-off mold when needed...but one of the primary drawbacks you should keep in mind is that the molded chocolate surface will look awful...it will bloom like crazy and look prtty sickly. That is all fine, so long as you have a plan to spray it, cover it, whatever. Otherwise, this is a good technique, which will allow a surprising amount of detail to come through.

Randall Raaflaub, chocolatier

rr chocolats

Here is a link to the recipe

I have made up the gelatin mix in the past, then molded a mid sized half egg. I put that in the middle of a large egg mold. When you mold the chocolate you get an egg sized space in the molded egg. You can then put another shape inside the space as in this photo.

gallery_34671_3115_65392.jpg