• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored mayonnaise

hfaze

If it were me I would make a warm wasabi mayo. How to make this different and new. When you have made your base place it in a whipped cream gun and you will have to judge the consistancy by the amount of chargers you add to the gun and also how big the gun is. Then leave it in a warm temperature not to go over 80c. This will have a lighter flavor

I think the mayo on seafood is a Peruvian thing.

Its also common in Japanese and Chinese dishes, especially with Sushi and Dim Sum.

Not to mention New England, lol.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I recently got this off a chum of ours. It makes a lovely flavored mayo:

Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins), salt and pepper to the mayo and a little olive oil if you need it thinned down. Incredibly tasty with salad and I imagine seafood too. It's a tiny bit spicy but not in the very hot variety.

One of my favorite toppings for a good, medium rare hamburger is mayo mixed with worcestershire and grated horseradish. Oh man.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My tube of double concentrate tomato paste, suggests combining the paste with a little mayo for a good seafood topping. Need to give it a try.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Akiko, it's funny, one's perspective of exotic. I take it your MIL's Japanese? Which would explain why she wouldn't find nori exotic. But ikura? To try to stay in the spirit of the original recipe - which you must have chosen because you elementally like it - have you considered just reducing the heat of the spicy mayo? Do you use fresh chilis? If yes, perhaps you could just try carefully scraping out the seeds and veins and then quickly blanching it in boiling water - seconds - then rinsing and draining. Then you get the flavour but have significantly reduced the heat. I love spicy food but am always conscious that the tolerance of others much lower - but that they actually do like a bit of the flavour and heat as long as I take some precautions.

try Rocket Mayo; 1 cup rocket, 1 cup mayo, squeeze of lemon juice. Stick in blender or food processor until smooth.

A variation is to put garlic, basil or parsley in aswell.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

My tube of double concentrate tomato paste, suggests combining the paste with a little mayo for a good seafood topping. Need to give it a try.

Ahh thousand island dressing...

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

how about ginger? does ginger work in mayo? hmmm, i'm going to have to try that. hmmmm, the more i think about it, perhaps not.

dill. what about fresh dill?

Actually a bit of ginger juice would be fine.

Dill is okay but you would need to go lightly. Better to just garnish with fresh chopped dill.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM