• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best oven for bread?

artisanbaker

someone asked me this the other day and I could not answer.

"If I want to make the nation's best bread what type of oven should I buy/construct?"

(keep in mind the individual was not a baker)

How about a wood-fired brick oven in my yard and I'll teach them to make bread using it. Then when they decide thats too much hassle, I'll have an oven and they can buy my bread.

Seriously, are they planning to learn or is this an academic question?

refer them to this site.

and this one.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett