• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LAST MEAL...

tommy g

It would be an honest red gravy joint where guanciale is not on the menu.

nice dig. presumably directed toward me? i guess you're not into that dishonest fancy-pants stuff like guanciale. :laugh:

i'd probably have a burger at Copeland. it's that good. for red sauce i'd stay home, with better ingredients and perfectly cooked pasta. if my demise was imminent, i wouldn't have to worry about doing the dishes, which would be pretty sweet i'd think.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'd go to E&V, have their spedigni Romani, a scungilli salad, and the seafood risotto. Or a Cremator, two Rippers, an order of onion rings, a large birch, and chicken rice soup at Rutt's Hut.

Now THAT is a last meal. xD

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

surprising answers....

i agree copeland is very good, i know a buttery sizzling steak at ruths chris always appeals, thoroughly enjoy huntley tavern/3 west.....but my most recent dining experience was ryland inn and i would say that takes the cake

My last meal would have to be three of what are arguably the finest pizzas in the US: Trenton's Delorenzo's of Hudson St: a plain tomato pie, another topped with pepperoni and sweet peppers, and a third, Delorenzo's white clam pie. A couple of cans (yes, cans) of Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, and I can call it a life.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Good topic... It really made me think....

I must agree with Rich... My last meal would be at 530 Hudson Steet in Trenton. I'd order one Plain and Sausage Pie w/garlic. It'd be completed with a cooler of Yuengling Premium, sitting at my side.

:D

No, no, a nice Italian pie would be my NEXT to last meal. Then, I'd go to SamVera and eat this:

A bowl of pasta fagiole

A bowl of pastina (ordered in advance)

The pasta of the day

OR a pasta in a custom cream sauce, with peas

Snapper, prepared the way the salmon usually is

OR prepared Martini style

Sea bass (OhMyHolyFish, so SO good, but it's $100, and I'm poor!)

Escarole

Broccoli di rabe

EVERYTHING on the dessert list

Lots of wine with this meal-their wine list is amazing.

And a really decent port to finish.

I'd indulge all of this in one f the private rooms upstairs, and in between courses I'd do private things with my #1boy!

I stick by my previous post, a meal at SamVera would be the LAST MEAL of my choice.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

i'd probably have a burger at Copeland.  it's that good. 

Really? Now I'll have to bite the bullet and try the burger at Copeland. Seeing that you were so on target about Michael's Roscommon House.

I'll be sure to post my review! :biggrin:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Really? Now I'll have to bite the bullet and try the burger at Copeland. Seeing that you were so on target about Michael's Roscommon House.

there's no comparison. a different league altogether. i posted about it at length on my blog here.

there's no comparison. a different league altogether. i posted about it at length on my blog here.

I read your blob on the Copeland Burger. I didn't realize it was head and shoulders above any other burger you'd tried. Restaurant burger I should say to clarify.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

If you could only have one last meal in new jersey (wether it be youre moving, electric chair, broke, etc) where would it be?

**price is not a concern** :biggrin:

Would not be in New Jersey.

Last really fav place was Dish in Passaic Park, in the Bruce days. But had my last meal there some time ago.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

If you could only have one last meal in new jersey (wether it be youre moving, electric chair, broke, etc) where would it be?

Last really fav place was Dish in Passaic Park, in the Bruce days. But had my last meal there some time ago.

i loved that place. I just saw Bruce and his brother (who helped run Dish) last week at the Loop Lounge, which he still owns. Dish was pretty remarkable, especially given that it was the 90's.

i loved that place. I just saw Bruce and his brother (who helped run Dish) last week at the Loop Lounge, which he still owns. Dish was pretty remarkable, especially given that it was the 90's.

Cool, say hello to Bruce if you see him again we were regulars there at Dish. Bruce and I were always sharing CD's of obscure music.

Haven't been to the Loop in ages, still the same?

Dish was amazing in its time.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Cool, say hello to Bruce if you see him again we were regulars there at Dish. Bruce and I were always sharing CD's of obscure music.

Haven't been to the Loop in ages, still the same?

Dish was amazing in its time.

Funny, Bruce's brother Carl is upstairs having dinner at Raymond's right now, and Bruce has been helping us with our sound system. I'll send along all your wishes and reminisces!

Sorry to be off topic, but I was at Loop Lounge last week too, on a Sunday.....gee Tommy, us e-gulleters have good taste!

for the FMU/Holmes party? (edit: oops, that was the 7th. *seems* like last week.)

peter, it hasn't changed one bit. 'cept the people got younger, and i got older.

Edited by tommy (log)

The Loop lounge is a long time hang out of mine. Never really was too close with the owners but I am great friends with the bartender up front.

On topic I would have to go with a crab trap full of Jersey blue claws that I caught myself and steamed, a pound of melted, clarified butter, and a 12 pack of good beer. Nah make that a case.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species