• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stock

Soup

I'm making a big batch of beef stock as I write. I've read in a couple of places (focus on korean cooking) that the bones can be used again to make additional batches of stock. Is this true? Do any of have experience in reusing beef bones to make addtional stock. I can't imagine that the bones would have anything to give after 10 hours in that pot?

Soup

You can re-use the bones, but not for making stock again. This is calles remouillage, which means something like re-wetting.

Remouillage doesn't have the aroma, color or flavor as real stock, but you can use it as a base for a new stock (use this liquid instead of water).

Now, is it worth it? I know some chefs that do this all the time.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I usually do a remouillage after I've poured off the first stock. Remi yields a cloudier, weaker stock, but it's still useful for cooking, especially if reduced. Figure you'll get roughly 1/3 the usable amount of remi as you did the original stock, so this is not worth doing if you only made a small batch.

After you drain the bones for the first stock, add cold water just to cover and a fresh bouquet garni. It usually takes only a couple of hours simmering to extract all the flavour you're going to get in a remi; simmering for 12 hours doesn't seem to improve it and it actually seems to reduce the flavour; don't ask me why. I then reduce it until I get something with a decent amount of flavour.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I agree with all of the above statements, except that I would cook the bones a little longer than a couple hours. Try at least 6, IMO. Flavor isn't the primary concern in a remy, it's mostly gelatin. Flavor can come into a remy later, through the addition of stock, bones, veg, sauce making, soup making, etc.

Personally, I think that remouillage is a fantastic base liquid for braising, in that you will still get a nice mouthfeel in the sauce, but it won't be overwhelmingly rich and overbearing as if you had used stock, it will jsut get the flavor from the meat in the braise.

People in the industry do it, like they stated above, to use as a base for a stock. So instead of water, you start with a remy and add fresh bones, veg, etc to it, then I'm sure you can imagine the type of stock you get out of that.

I would definately say it's worth it, if you have the time and inclination.

Whenever I make demi glace I reuse the bones and make a glace de viande. Jaques Pepin instructs this in his Complete Techniques. I start with 10lbs of veal bones and simmer them for 12 hours to make demi glace. Then I take the bones and simmer them for another 12-16 hours and reduce the 24qts of liquid down to just over a cup of glace. It's pretty good and, as Pepin says, it's free.

As a former saucier I agree with fiftydollars, glace de viande, great for glacing any meats for that cool shine and has a nice added flavor. Also great when you want to make a sauce that has alot of ingriedients in it like say 3-4 bottles of wine or brandy.