• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best convection/microwave combo

greenwich st

... a convection oven will get hot, so I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to plan on putting one in the box the old microwave occupied. Duh. ...

You need a little bit of ventilation, but not a vast amount.

I think that combination units are an excellent use of space, and a multi-function tool gets used more ...

But a major differentiator between products is the "user interface".

Someone I Used To Know was frequently confused by a Panasonic that ALWAYS reverted to pure microwave whenever its timer reached zero. That meant that giving it 'five more minutes in the oven' needed resetting it to be an oven, AND THEN setting the temperature, as well as punching in 5 minutes. That's dumb, not 'smart'.

Its not trendy, but I prefer switches that stay set until you change them, and simple analogue controls ...

The more complex the functionality, the simpler it needs to be to use.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

My convection microwave sits in a cabinet with no doors. It's never been a problem. And the grill at the top is for decoration basically.

gallery_1_12_20365.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

This Sharp is deeper but not as wide as the one you had.

Thanks, Andiesenji! That might just work. I'll check it out and see if the front feet are placed far enough back that it'll sit in my 17" deep (open) cabinet.

Douglal, this smaller unit will give me more ventilation space, which has to be good. I agree with you about wishing for the ability to set a default to my liking.

And Marlene, thank you, too. Lovely picture. If yours works well in that cabinet, then I shouldn't have a problem.

Lowe's, here I come!

This Sharp is deeper but not as wide as the one you had.

I have had the larger model for many years and it has worked nicely in both convection and microwave and combination phases.

I was SO ready to fall in love with this combo oven until I found the inside dimensions! The interior is only 7 1/2 inches high! I`m guessing that once you take the carousel into account the actual usable height is even less. I bought my current microwave to accommodate an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup and I doubt this model would do that - shame!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The interior is only 7 1/2 inches high!

Yes, I saw that, but I think my old one was about the same interior height, so I'm OK with it.

Thanks for pointing it out, though - I appreciate the warning!

This probably is not useful, but I have a combination convection/regular oven unit with the microwave above it in one unit,, 27"wide,, Its a Thermador and works very well...(don't know if you have already purchased the oven)

Bud