• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best convection/microwave combo

greenwich st

I have no room for a built-in second oven, but am doing some low-key kitchen renovation and suddenly realized I could ditch my (perfectly functional) countertop Panasonic microwave for a fancier combi model and get some convection out of the deal. I'd be willing to spend a bit for something truly oven-like. But it is worth it? These aren't "true convection" right? Can you bake a respectable roast or gratin in one? Or should I just stick to what I've got?

I have had microwave convection ovens for 25 years.

For 22 years we had a GE countertop model that was a fine microwave but more useful as a convection oven for heating and warming. We did not use it for roasting simply because it was not self-cleaning. The broiling feature was not very effective and the temperature was not very even, therefore we did not bake in the oven.

We now have a Dacor microwave/convection which performs much more effectively. Very even heat permits baking and it is also useful for drying herbs and stuff. The broiling is much more effective than the GE. We do not roast only because of the lack of self-cleaning. It also holds a whole roasting pan which really helps when you need a 150 degree oven to hold dinner for 45 minutes.

I never could bring myself to combination cook, something about nuking fresh food spooks me.

Tim

My boyfriend has a microwave-convection oven and when I first started baking at his house, I was doubtful about it. I use it quite a lot now (we have three ovens for baking, a countertop model - what in the states is known as a "toaster oven", the microwave-convection, and a third "conventional" gas oven which I rarely use unless I'm baking large quantitites or pizzas - it's very large). I like it. It's not one of the combi ovens; the microwave and convection settings are separate. My one quibble with it is it doesn't have good bottom heat so the bottoms of breads and tarts aren't as brown as I would like. For bread, I usually take it out of the pan after it's baked and then put directly on the metal oven pan for awhile - that helps brown the bottom. For tarts, I start off at a higher temperature than usual - about 200 degrees Celsiuis, then lower the heat after it starts to brown. It's a Sharp - quite an old model.

I rarely use the microwave part of the oven except for melting chocolate and sometimes to reheat stuff.

I also have a Dacor convection microwave and I've only just started to use it, but I used it to convection bake my broccoli gratin yesterday as both ovens were otherwise occupied and it turned out very well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I also have the dacor convection microwave oven and like it very much. i bought dacor to match my range but it is manufactured by sharp. if you don't need to match you can save quite a bit by buying the sharp model.

• 7 months later...

Our microwave is just about kaput, and I am considering replacing it with a combination microwave and convection oven. These are the considerations:

1. Even though plenty of people on this list think microwaves are worthless, I actually use mine a lot. I soften butter for all kinds of applications; heat milk for mashed potatoes, heat milk for hot chocolate in winter, warm up my coffee, and heat up entrees that I have previously cooked, frozen, and thawed. Not getting a microwave is not an option.

2. I really would like to have a second conventional oven, or even a toaster oven, but there's just no room for it.

3. We'll be building a house in a year or so, and at that time plan to get a Maytag Gemini range. We'll also have a built-in microwave/range hood above it. So this new purchase will probably go in the basement, where the family room will be, or in the garage, where the '67 Mustang is being rebuilt. (Ragtop, red with parchment interior, to be exact. Can you tell I'm excited?)

Does anybody have a micro/convection combo, and if so, do you like it? Do you have recommendations for brands to consider or to stay away from?

Hi,

We have owned microwave/convection ovens for about 27 years. I agree with you enthusiasm for the ovens.

We purchased our second oven two years ago and were a little dismayed at the choices that were available.

There are many micro-convections with small square ovens having plastic walls. We had no interest.

There are also options for three way ovens such as advantium or trivection.. We don't want to combo nuke our food.

Fortunately Sharp makes some very nice Microwave/Convection ovens with WIDE oven cavities. These come in 24" widths and 30" widths. The oven we purchased was a Dacor model which is manufactured by Sharp. It is an excellent performer.

Tim

I purchased the over the range hood dacor model and loved it. used the microwave more than the convection functions but fell in love with the quality. the dacor and sharp versions work identically but the dacor is made with more and more expensive metal than the sharp model, making it more expensive.

I'm pretty sure there might be another thread on this somewhere, but another vote for the Dacor here.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

When we bought our house, it had a KitchenAid Ultima speedoven, I've used it for 3 years & I think it's great. Like you, I can't imagine being w/out a microwave,not as much for cooking, but for prep & reheating. Ours didn't have the grill rack, & I haven't got around to replacing it, but I use the browning pan constantly. Sometimes, I wish I was a bit more adventurous & could use this oven to its limits, but I'm very satisfied with what I have done, I'd get another w/out hesitation. With this, a combo conventional/convection oven, & alot of misc. kitchen utilities (slowcooker, rice cooker, outside electric smoker, grill), I can cook a variety of food for a number of people w/out clogging up my small kitchen...

Add me to the list of those thinking that a combo microwave/grill/fan oven is both useful and an excellent use of kitchen space.

My UK experience probably doesn't translate too well to specific US models - BUT - I'd offer one important guideline.

Beware default settings!

Huh?

Beware designs where, just because the time is up, it resets itself to its own default settings.

Case in mind, a Panasonic touch-button machine I have. When it times out after being used as a pure fan oven, it changes itself to microwave - so just giving it a couple more minutes gives it a couple of minutes of *microwave*. Oops! This caught out Someone I Used to Know rather frequently.

Compare with an elderly basic Sharp. The mode selector is a hefty slide switch, that doesn't change by itself. Ever. This Sharp is much more limited (can't combine grill and fan for example), but its 'user interface' is delightfully simple and intuitive - analogue knobs! Usability of features is IMHO much more important than feature bloat, but then I'm a Mac user!

Watch out for machines that reconfigure themselves when the clock reaches zero!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 10 months later...

I have been follwing this topic with interest. But don't want to hijack it hence the new topic.

I was once a microwave hater and refused to give up counter space for one. Then I got into making molded chocolates and a m/w became the most efficient way to temper chocolate. Now I find myself using it often as an auxilliary appliance. With only two of us it is perfect for steaming a few potatoes or other vegetables, for re-heating meals, etc. etc.

But I also have a counter top toaster/convection oven (it's the Cuisinart) which I would not be without either.

My daughter had a counter top/convection oven for a while but it was truly the worst of both worlds - pretty much useless as either! She now has an over the range GE Profile and swears by it.

I cannot have that type installed but would love to hear opinions of counter top models.

Are any of them capable of toasting or would I need to get a toaster as well?

Please, if you own a recently purchased microwave/convection oven post your opinion. I would love to be able to dispense with one appliance.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna,

We only have one full size oven. Therefore, we have owned confection/microwave ovens for about 27 years and could not live without this second oven. They do not toast.

Our ovens are wide, fairly shallow and include microwave functions, convection baking/roasting and broiling. They operate as a second oven in our kitchen with temps as low as 100 degrees. We do not use the combination cooking functions.

We also have a countertop convection/toaster which also sees regular use. This is used as a third oven for smaller dishes. It does toast.

I hope this helps,

Tim

Anna, our GE Profile microwave/convection combo is a countertop oven. They make both. And like I indicated in the other thread, I think it's just wonderful.

I bought the Sharp Warm & Toasty combo oven/micro/toaster a few years back. It is the worst of all worlds!

Toasting: never even prentended to work.

Microwaving: functional, but a bit weak.

Baking: just tolerable initially, now completely broken.

If you see this in a store Run, do not walk, to some other product!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 3 months later...

My microwave/hood just died, and I'm looking to get a new one.

I'm intrigued with the idea of the Dacor Microwave/Convection oven. This thread is a little old - do people still like them? Anything new that I should consider?

And a question on the Convection part. Does it work just like a normal oven, albeit smaller? Does it brown/roast/etc as good as a "real" oven?

My husband is balking at the price, but if it's just like a real oven, to me it's $500 for a second oven in the kitchen - cheap, considering we'd have to do a major renovation to fit a standard wall oven in our kitchen. But I want to make sure of what I'm getting, if it's just so-so at baking and roasting, I may just opt for a standard microwave.

Also, does it get overly hot? The space I'd put it has cabinets on either side, and I'd rather not cause any fires :-)

Edited by abadoozy (log)

Hi,

You might want to look at the Sharp Microwave-Convection oven, the source of the Dacor. Also, it appears that Jenn Air's Microwave-Convection comes from the same source.

While we use our Dacor like a second oven, we do not roasting meat, since it is not self-cleaning. Yes it browns like a normal oven.

The broil function is different in that it does not use radiant heat. It is useful for top browning but at a slower pace than a radiant broiler.

It does not get too hot, inside or outside. It uses an external exhaust that keeps the outside pretty cool.

It is wonderful at heating plates or holding meals at 100 degrees. It is also excellent for holding food at 150 degrees or drying herbs at that temp.

Tim

I got a GE Profile over-the-range convection oven/microwave combo (Model JVM1790SK) a few months ago, and I love it. (My only complaint would be that the interior is difficult to get clean.) I got a new Frigidaire range at the same time, and the microwave has been a much more satisfying purchase. It's really nice when I don't want to preheat the main oven or when I want it preheated quickly. The oven doesn't brown things quite as well as our full-size oven, but I've still baked bread in it that turned out beautifully. I've also used it for small pizzas quite successfully, as well as for all of the standard microwave functions (defrosting, melting butter & chocolate, etc.).

This GE Profile model has a central knob control that I was a bit skeptical about to begin with, but it's really well designed and allows you to quickly and easily adjust temperature or cook time. The "warm" feature works well for heating plates or creating a warm and draft-free environment for bread dough.

In all, I highly recommend this oven.

We did get the GE Profile countertop model, and we love ours, also. The only baking I've done it is two-crust pies, and they've been beautiful.

We'd buy another in a heartbeat.

• 1 year later...

Saturday morning our old (1997) microwave died with a flash and a bang(!). Now we're looking for a new one, and I know I've seen convection microwaves mentioned here.

The old Sharp was 12" high, 22" wide, and 17" deep. It was a tabletop model (just a regular plug), but it fit into a boxed-in shelf 14 1/4" high, 22 3/4" wide and 17" deep. The few convection microwaves I've seen in my early searches seem to be over-the-range models, and they seem to be too big to fit on my shelf.

Does anyone have/know of a smaller tabletop model convection microwave -- and is it worth it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh, I just realized - a convection oven will get hot, so I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to plan on putting one in the box the old microwave occupied. Duh.

Oh, well. Guess I'd better go back to looking at plain microwaves!

Dang.

This Sharp is deeper but not as wide as the one you had.

I have had the larger model for many years and it has worked nicely in both convection and microwave and combination phases.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett