• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Globe Reviewer Joanne Kates

jayt90

In today's Globe, restaurant reviewer Joanne Kates wrote one of her trademark highly critical reviews, of a type that has closed many restaurants in Toronto.

At the same time, Ms. Kates attacks the Chowhounders who led her to the place, with a page of glowing reviews.

Today the fur is flying.

It seems that yesterday, by sheer co-incidence, a Chowhounder alleged that Ms. Kates apparently lifted a review by Baron de Groot in Esquire, 1972.

This information developed on their Food media board, at about the time the Globe was going to press.

The information about Ms. Kates apparent plagiarism appeared on Chowhound's Food Media and News board, Toronto Life. The reaction to the Sado review is in the same section, with a link to the review.

I am involved somewhat, in asking questions that led to a conclusion, and in pointing out that lifting was common and hard to detect in those days.

If you are interested, have a look.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

Jay, I was involved very much, as well. I was one of the original posters recommending Sado Sushi. I've been there many times and have thoroughly enjoyed the somewhat unconventional dishes that the restaurant specializes in. Perhaps Ms. Kates just cannot handle innovative cuisine (and nobody writing in the Sado Sushi thread was really going to the restaurant for the highest quality sushi and sashimi; we were just delighted to have an interesting, and delicious, Japanese restaurant in the neighbourhood).

In any case, I feel terrible for the restaurant. Last time I was there was New Year's Eve, which was the first day back for the chef since undergoing surgery to donate a portion of his liver to his mother.

I hope Sado Sushi can survive this. They just opened about 3 months ago, in a location that has seen restaurants come and go. I, for one, will continue to patronize the restaurant which, despite Ms. Kates's rantings, does have excellent food and polished, professional service.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

I have not been to the restaurant, but I did want to comment on the article by Joanne Kates.

I actually thought it was pretty thorough and fair. She went twice and she tried both sushi and non-sushi dishes.

I have had horrendous Chawanmushi in Toronto. The worst being from Mysushi on yonge where the egg was curded and the fake crab was unappetizing.

I personally hate most Japanese fusion places as they tend to rely too heavily on mayonaise and deep fried items going in sushi or on, in the case of sushi pizza.

The Bagel sushi sounds disgusting, but very Montreal.

I agree with her about any restaurant that drowns everything in sauce.

But I am sure their sushi is better than TandT's or Bento Nouveau. How can it not be?

I, for one, am glad she was honest and hard as I don't want to make the mistake of going their looking for Japanese cuisine.

Mark

I've read the review and all the going's on on chowhound... I think the chowhounders have to understand that Ms. Kates gets paid for her opinion. I think she has good knowledge of food, and fairly reviewed the place after 2 visits. Having never eaten at Sado I can't comment on the food but her complaints sound valid... uni is a beautiful thing if fresh, and horrid if not. She had the horrid and wrote about it. Many chowhounders have absolutely slammed places at length (their opinions), but seem to take this one personally since she mentioned the site. she found a differing opinion of it and did her job. The heart warming tale of donating a portion of his liver is very nice. But while he's away from the shop everything must remain perfect, or close the doors. If I go to any restaurant and pay full pop I expect to get the best that any given place can offer, I don't see discounted prices when the chef is on vacation,or is sick. If the regs. on chowhound stop to think about it, Ms. Kates must take their opinions seriously or she wouldn't have been so let down and shocked at the seemingly terrible experiences she had there. It did not read like a vindictive review, just a bad one, and it has been said in the past "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

I've read the review and all the going's on on chowhound... I think the chowhounders have to understand that Ms. Kates gets paid for her opinion. I think she has good knowledge of food, and fairly reviewed the place after 2 visits. Having never eaten at Sado I can't comment on the food but her complaints sound valid... uni is a beautiful thing if fresh, and horrid if not. She had the horrid and wrote about it. Many chowhounders have absolutely slammed places at length  (their opinions), but seem to take this one personally since she mentioned the site. she found a differing opinion of it and did her job. The heart warming tale of donating a portion of his liver is very nice. But while he's away from the shop everything must remain perfect, or close the doors. If I go to any restaurant and pay full pop I expect to get the best that any given place can offer, I don't see discounted prices when the chef is on vacation,or is sick. If the regs. on chowhound stop to think about it, Ms. Kates must take their opinions seriously or she wouldn't have been so let down and shocked at the seemingly terrible experiences she had there. It did not read like a vindictive review, just a bad one, and it has been said in the past "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

I could not agree more. I have often gone to places CHs rave about and thought DOH. However, it does not negate their opinion. I would not recommend a restaurant that I did not like to my friends and they might or might not (usually not) take my advice. Seems lots of people like Sado and it should still get that good word of mouth in the neighbourhood. Personally, even before JK's review, the description of the food I read on CH did not make me want to go to Sado. If she did not like it, and she obviously didn't, it is her obligation to write it as she tastes it. I thought the review fair--she gave her reasons--honestly old Uni is enough to keep me away from a place.

Edited by Fai Jackson (log)