• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2009 Restaurant Week and Earlier Too

Meredith380

I'm going to Manhattan for restaurant week with a friend, so I'm looking for any guidance as to the best places to go to for restaurant week-- and for dinner no less. The lunch options are obviously better, but unless I eat alone (hmm, I may just do that and then join in for the dinner,maybe EMP for lunch), I'm set on doing a dinner.

Let me preface-- I realize there are about 50 other options on any restaurant's menu I'd most likely rather be eating and I know my server will be annoyed, as will most likely the chef, but humor me here. I'm staying on the UES and would prefer not to travel but am willing to for the right menu, if it's out there. And I refuse to believe out of all the participating restaurants, there isn't a hidden gem or few out there.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Meredith380 (log)

I'm going to Manhattan for restaurant week with a friend, so I'm looking for any guidance as to the best places to go to for restaurant week-- and for dinner no less. The lunch options are obviously better, but unless I eat alone (hmm, I may just do that and then join in for the dinner,maybe EMP for lunch), I'm set on doing a dinner.

Let me preface-- I realize there are about 50 other options on any restaurant's  menu I'd most likely rather be eating and I know my server will be annoyed, as will most likely the chef, but humor me here. I'm staying on the UES and would prefer not to travel but am willing to for the right menu, if it's out there. And I refuse to believe out of all the participating restaurants, there isn't a hidden gem or few out there.

Thanks in advance!

I don't thing it's gauche at all to be interested in, and enjoy restaurant week. I find the only thing that's tacky is diners that expect to spend next to nothing at a meal and walk away with the same experiance as one would for 3 or 4 times the cost. That being said it's a great way to explore places you've never been, rooms you like to see, and chefs style you be interested in- you really get to take chances, instead of playing it safe for a "solid meal" that you wont be dissapointed in spending all those rupees on.

I'm considering:

Perry st -food

Tabla- food

Eleven Madison Park- food

Telepan- food and space

Morimoto- try out the food and space

Petrossian- experiance

David Burke and Donatella- experiance

August- try out the food and space

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Just a heads up that Perry St runs a $24.07 lunch year round, 7 days a week, I believe. They also have a $35 "early bird" dinner (really a NYC late lunch) from I believe 5 to 6:30. Not worth dealing with the hordes for that one. I'm doing A Voce and EMP for Restaurant Week this year after a hiatus of about 4 years. You can't go wrong with Danny Meyer during RW.

virtually none of the good restaurants offer a RW dinner. sorry.

Perry Street offers a fabulous $25 lunch 7 days a week. RW is the one time I would not go for it. (it'll be filled with all the people who wouldn't eat there otherwise...even though the price is the same the other 51 weeks of the year).

the same is true of most of the RW restaurants.

RW isn't gauche, it's just a joke. cause the same deals (or sometimes better ones) are offered year round.

If anything it's rather disingenuous for restaurants to offer it.

virtually none of the good restaurants offer a RW dinner.  sorry.

Perry Street offers a fabulous $25 lunch 7 days a week.  RW is the one time I would not go for it.  (it'll be filled with all the people who wouldn't eat there otherwise...even though the price is the same the other 51 weeks of the year).

the same is true of most of the RW restaurants.

RW isn't gauche, it's just a joke.  cause the same deals (or sometimes better ones) are offered year round.

If anything it's rather disingenuous for restaurants to offer it.

Honestly, I'm not looking to be wowed, or even impressed. I'm looking to be fed, and fed cheaply. If I wanted to indulge in a meal, I would and have, but I'm not going out with foodies so I'm looking for the 'best of the worst', if you will. Factor in ambiance to my requirements too, if I like the scene and the service, then I will be inclined to return and order appropriately. Hell, I may not even choose the 'restaurant week menu' but am looking for a place with a decent one for the rest of my party, if that exsists. Last summer I ate at Roy's during RW and enjoyed it.

let me reiterate:

the same deals are offered year round. why you would want to eat at exactly the same price (or sometimes more! seriously!) during RW is beyond me.

if you must, Danny Meyer restaurants are the way to go. however, only one of those, if that, will offer a RW dinner. that would be the way to go...if you can get a reservation.

true. but most of the good ones do.

but the basic problem here is that the OP is set on doing a RW dinner. very few of the even halfway decent restaurants bother to offer a RW dinner.

I guess if any steakhouses do it that might be the way to go (FG once gave advice of this sort as well)

true.  but most of the good ones do.

but the basic problem here is that the OP is set on doing a RW dinner.  very few of the even halfway decent restaurants bother to offer a RW dinner.

I guess if any steakhouses do it that might be the way to go (FG once gave advice of this sort as well)

I'm not set on a RW dinner so much as set on spending 35$ for a three course meal. If you can refer me to restaurants that supposedly offer the same value with a better product, by all means, your suggestions would be appreciated.

early bird dinner at Perry Street.

other than that...slim pickings.

the good restaurants don't offer RW dinners, just lunch. that's why no one's helping you on this thread with regard to that question. sorry.

if a Danny Meyer restaurant happens to do it -- jump on it (well, you could eat dinner at Blue Smoke for less than $35 so I wouldn't bother if that's the one).

otherwise a steakhouse might be your best bet.

the tasting menu at Degustation is $45 I think. ditto for Knife and Fork.

Ok, I'm looking at the RW list right now.

like I said, slim pickings for dinner.

you might get a decent steak at Angelo & Maxies.

Aquavit Cafe would be decent enough...except for the fact that they offer a two dinners year round, one for $20 and one for $37....so maybe you'll save $2...if you're lucky.

Blue Smoke is the DM dinner this year -- I wouldn't bother.

Megu is offering a $35 dinner...that might be worth a try...who knows how they've laid that out.

Perry Street is doing a $35 dinner but $5 bucks says they'll only take reservations for it for the same early bird time as the other 365 days of the year.

Nougatine is doing a $35 dinner...that might be worth it.

Bar Room at the Modern is doing one -- but that's barely worth it if it's simply two of their ala carte courses plus dessert.

yup, RW is a cynical ploy to get extra business at the same or raised prices during slow months.

edit: Compass is offering RW dinner. the only problem is that it offers a three course $35 dinner year round.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Thanks Nathan, that feed back is helpful. I can't do an early bird seating because of work and commuting, although I hope to try Perry St. in general.

Megu appeals to me most, although I know my dining companion isn't big into Japanese, we'll see.

I've tried calling Nougatine and Aquavita to see if they've determined their menus but they haven't. I can't bring myself to make an Open Table res. anywhere and break it if the menu won't work for my friend, so I'm pretty much waiting around. I don't mind dining late though.

I've done Tabla twice during RWs, and I recommend it. I felt like I was eating food that was made with concentrated effort.

Nobu was a no-go. Blah, boring, uninspired.

I've heard that 66 was excellent for RW, from a friend whose taste I trust. I think I'm going to try that for lunch.

And I've heard that Blaue Gans does a $20 prix fixe lunch year-round, which I must try, since I work right next door.

yup, RW is a cynical ploy to get extra business at the same or raised prices during slow months.

i don't know if "cynical" should be used to decribe the ploy rather than its critics.

RW is a way of promoting the city, its restaurants, and tourism in general. when someone comes into the city for RW when they normally wouldn't, it's good for the city, and presumably someone is getting a nice meal that they normally wouldn't.

I saw the restaurant week dinner menu for Del Frisco steakhouse the other day. It had three choices for each course - the mains were a petite filet, a porkchop, and scallops - each came with a side item. I have never eaten there, but it looks like it would be a nice choice - especially after the crowds leave if an event is happening at The Garden that night.

nah, it's cynical.

"presumably someone is getting a nice meal that they normally wouldn't."

and they could have an even nicer meal at the same restaurant for the same price the other 50 weeks of the year. that's the problem.

I saw the restaurant week dinner menu for Del Frisco steakhouse the other day.  It had three choices for each course - the mains were a petite filet, a porkchop, and scallops - each came with a side item.  I have never eaten there, but it looks like it would be a nice choice - especially after the crowds leave if an event is happening at The Garden that night.

Do you mean Nick and Stef's? I didn't see Del Frisco's participating.

I saw the restaurant week dinner menu for Del Frisco steakhouse the other day.  It had three choices for each course - the mains were a petite filet, a porkchop, and scallops - each came with a side item.  I have never eaten there, but it looks like it would be a nice choice - especially after the crowds leave if an event is happening at The Garden that night.

yes - sorry. my mistake.

yes - sorry. my mistake.

Although Del Frisco's has a 3 course pre-theatre menu (which includes a petite filet) for around the RW price point that's definitely a good bargain.

Grub Street has four suggestions where the deal is not offered year-round, and where the food is definitely better than the $24.07 you'll pay at lunch, or the $35 you'll pay at dinner:

JoJo

Barbetta

Chanterelle

Dévi

As Grub Street notes, those whose sole mission is to follow the latest "buzz" need not apply.

good call on JoJo as they're offering dinner.

Jojo offers a $24 lunch year round however.

Barbetta is only offering lunch.

It also offers lunch in the $20-25 range year round.

Chanterelle is only offering lunch.

Their normal lunch prix fixe is $42.

Devi is offering dinner.

They offer a $24 lunch year round.

As for their dinner...it depends upon what constitutes the courses.

one could eat there for $35 ala carte.

http://www.suvir.com/dinnermenu.html

so with the exception of dinner at JoJo and lunch at Chanterelle...there are no bargains to be had.

like I said, it's a joke.

edit: so if Grub Street in fact asserted that these deals are not available year round, he didn't do his research cause he was half wrong.

Edited by Nathan (log)

edit: so if Grub Street in fact asserted that these deals are not available year round, he didn't do his research cause he was half wrong.

I tend to trust Grub Street's data more than yours. But for people who can't otherwise afford to go there, I would argue it's worthwhile even if dinner at JoJo and lunch at Chanterelle were the only options. I'm not bothering to check, but I suspect there are others like them on the list. Naturally you need to do your research, but when wasn't that the case? Edited by oakapple (log)

my research was called, um, checking the 2007 Winter Restaurant Week website. and checking the relevant restaurant websites.

as well as google.

obviously Grub Street didn't bother to do that

(and I knew for a fact already that Jo Jo offers a $24 lunch year round...although I confirmed it just to be sure)

the 2007 Winter Restaurant Week website helpfully tells you who offers only lunch and who also offers dinner.

with all due respect, maybe people should do their own checking before questioning my judgment and relying upon some blogger.

of course, Tabla proper (not the Bread Bar), offers a nice $25 lunch year round....

What RW always evinces (I inevitably find myself having to explain this to co-workers twice a year) is how few people are aware that virtually every fine dining restaurant in NY that serves lunch offers a prix fixe in that range year round.